All inclusive drinks package

CCFC

Costa coffee may be excluded as well where they have a franchise.

Why on earth do you think the Costa outlets are franchises? P&O will merely have purchased a licence to use the name and the equipment.

The cost of the ingredients in a Costa coffee will be under 10 pence, so that will not be a factor whether they include it or not.

What they will be calculating is whether people will buy the AI without the coffee, and still pay for individual cups of coffee, or whether more people will buy the AI if the coffee is included.

The other issue to consider is the impact on drinks prices generally. One way to increase the perceived 'value' of the AI is to increase individual drink prices.

I don't know whether we would buy an inclusive package but surely if this is introduced then you should be able to use OBS to pay for it. I already get frustrated that advanced excursions and select dining have to be paid for.

I hope they wouldn't increase the price of 'individual' drinks as Insanemagnet mentions. My husband doesn't drink alcohol so I only have a glass of wine with dinner, a pre-dinner drink & an after dinner drink. It's not worth it to me to go AI but I would be truly fed up if my drinks bill increased just to sell more AI to other passengers.

The other issue to consider is the impact on drinks prices generally. One way to increase the perceived 'value' of the AI is to increase individual drink prices.

I agree. It certainly has been the way its gone on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. On the latter drinks prices have gone up 40% in the last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't see p&o introducing an AI drinks pacakage..they are conscious of the amount of bad feeedback they are getting lately from their short booze cruises I'm sure they wouldn't want this sort of behaviour creeping over into their longer cruises...unfortunately a british cruise line with almost all british cruisers with a drinks package would only be a disaster!

I know most of us are responsible people but unfortunately as is usually the case, the minority spoil it for the majority.

I know Christopher Edgington did state last year that there were no plans to introduce anything

I can't see p&o introducing an AI drinks pacakage..they are conscious of the amount of bad feeedback they are getting lately from their short booze cruises I'm sure they wouldn't want this sort of behaviour creeping over into their longer cruises...unfortunately a british cruise line with almost all british cruisers with a drinks package would only be a disaster!

I know most of us are responsible people but unfortunately as is usually the case, the minority spoil it for the majority.

I know Christopher Edgington did state last year that there were no plans to introduce anything

I have to agree with you. Can't see this happening. Prices are good on board anyway.:)

I do hope you are right. Just can't see it happening. As you say "Britih cruisers with a drinks package ........."

Thomson have been offering drinks packages for many years, including 'free' ones as an early booking incentive. Now thomson cruises are by no means drink crazed orgies although you do see some people who are determined to try and drink the ship dry.

Times and circumstances change and at one time i would have been keen on a drinks package but not now, the occassional beer and a late night G&T is enough for me.

Currently P&O drinks are very reasonable, so if a AI drinks package was ever introduced I expect it would be a similar cost of that offered by Celebrity, Princess or RCI. You would have to drink about 5-7 alcoholic drinks to break even. For many that's easy, for others not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Last year we were on Azura and there were more than enough inebriated passengers each evening without an All Inclusive package, I dread to think what would happen if they thought they had to drink even more to get "value for money" from an AI package.

The behaviour of some groups was frightening after they had been drinking. There were several groups removed from the ship for their behaviour, including a wedding party who had been fighting in Brodies, we were stuck in a corner and unable to get out until security arrived to stop the fighting and took them out. We never went in there again and always made sure that wherever we were we would have more than one way out.

If an AI is introduced I will have to seriously consider whether we continue to travel on P&O's larger family ships, the adult only ships don't appear to attract the heavy drinkers in the way that the large family ships do.

The heavy drinkers do seem to be mainly British, on the American ships such Celebrity and Princess with AI packages we have not seen the same sort of problem.

I have sailed 12 times with P and O and have to say that I have never come across any extreme bad behaviour. I must have been lucky as we have to sail in the school holidays and at the busiest times. Sorry you had to endure this. Azura is the only ship we haven't sailed on.

Going back to all inclusive. It doesn't need to be all alcohol you drink. These packages include soft drinks, coffees etc. The best one we ever had was with MSC which included everything, including their fantastic smoothies and fresh orange juice at breakfast. It was £20 per day and such good value.:cool:

I regularly go to Sharm in Egypt where it is normal for the hotels to offer AI packages. I tend to find that it is not very easy to drink too much alcohol if the weather is very hot, preferring water if possible.

The other thing we found was that as the alcohol was locally produced, (have you ever tried Egyptian whisky? it's interesting to say the least!), the alcohol content is very low although they won't tell you what it is. If you want something a little more alcoholic then you had to pay for the premium brands.

Maybe this would be the way to kerb the potential heavy drinkers. Or only offer AI packages on cruises of 7-days and over?

I agree. Last year we were on Azura and there were more than enough inebriated passengers each evening without an All Inclusive package, I dread to think what would happen if they thought they had to drink even more to get "value for money" from an AI package.

The behaviour of some groups was frightening after they had been drinking. There were several groups removed from the ship for their behaviour, including a wedding party who had been fighting in Brodies, we were stuck in a corner and unable to get out until security arrived to stop the fighting and took them out. We never went in there again and always made sure that wherever we were we would have more than one way out.

If an AI is introduced I will have to seriously consider whether we continue to travel on P&O's larger family ships, the adult only ships don't appear to attract the heavy drinkers in the way that the large family ships do.

The heavy drinkers do seem to be mainly British, on the American ships such Celebrity and Princess with AI packages we have not seen the same sort of problem.

It is also possible that these people had consumed large amounts of alcohol in their cabins first, as P&O allow you to take this onboard. These sort of people will probably still get drunk whether there is a drinks package or not 😕

I think it would be very easy to get your moneys worth without being inebriated. With any good all inclusive/ pub if someone had had too much to drink the bar staff would refuse to serve them. Morning orange juice £2.50, two soft drinks during day £4, Glass of champagne at sailaway £6, Half a bottle of wine with dinner £10, cocktail before bed in crows nest or the theatre £6, bottle of water for cabin £1.50 that's £30 a day. My younger sister had the soft drinks package and went through it very quickly as well as a 'mocktail' of an evening with us so she was easily spending £10-£15 a day. I didn't have any of the specialty coffees but would have been nice mid morning, I wouldn't have paid for one but I would have one if I had a package. Just to be able to get a large orange juice and smoothie of a morning would be brilliant rather than trying to fit 4 'shots' of juice on a tray let alone if everyone in my party of 4 wanted juice and/or smoothies.

Again I have been on 10 cruises, short and long, all of the family friendly ships as well as working onboard Azura and the Queen Elizabeth for three months each time and never saw any bad behavior related to alcohol. I was nervous for my first trip on Ventura last summer as it does have a reputation but I was so pleasantly surprised about the atmosphere I am booking again for next year.

It would just be so nice to go onboard knowing exactly what you are going to spend and not be keeping tabs on how much particular drinks are. Perhaps it would also mean the waiters are less pushy, I am not exaggerating when I say I was approached 10 times in an hour while sunbathing on a sea day last year.

I have sailed from Southampton with Royal Caribbean and Princess where the majority of cruisers were British and there was an all-inclusive package available. There wasn't a disaster, nobody blind drunk or rowdy behaviour, it was all quite civilised. Its nice to be able to try drinks that you wouldn't normally buy and not get a shock on your bill at the end of the cruise.

I think P&O are missing a trick here and are one of the last cruise lines to implement an all-inclusive. My last cruise had free drinks included in the headline price which swayed me from one line to another.

If someone is intent on over drinking there isn't a lot that you can do to prevent them.

Edited by CCFC

Having been ill for 5 days on one cruise and my husband ill for 4 days on another, totally different things and nothing to do with the ship, we would not even do a drinks package as we would have wasted it. We sometimes have only 2 drinks one day and maybe a lot more on another. I think I like "drink as you go".

I have sailed from Southampton with Royal Caribbean and Princess where the majority of cruisers were British and there was an all-inclusive package available. There wasn't a disaster, nobody blind drunk or rowdy behaviour, it was all quite civilised. Its nice to be able to try drinks that you wouldn't normally buy and not get a shock on your bill at the end of the cruise.

I think P&O are missing a trick here and are one of the last cruise lines to implement an all-inclusive. My last cruise had free drinks included in the headline price which swayed me from one line to another.

If someone is intent on over drinking there isn't a lot that you can do to prevent them.

I agree. Weve been on Celebrity 4 times from Southampton when most people had the free promotional drinks packages. Never witnessed any rowdyness and I would add I think it made the bars more lively and people seemed to be having a lot of fun.

I agree. Weve been on Celebrity 4 times from Southampton when most people had the free promotional drinks packages. Never witnessed any rowdyness and I would add I think it made the bars more lively and people seemed to be having a lot of fun.

I agree Kevin, we book Celebrity when there is a Classic package included and use the OBC to upgrade it to a Premium package making it almost free.

We can then have any drink we want anytime, soft, water, premium coffees and alcohol. Works great for us. We also never really see anyone getting rowdy, seen a few slide off their stools at the Martini bar though !!

I agree it would make it easier to budget I like to know what I am spending and do find I have to keep tabs on my bill as I go through the holiday, yes I know some people will say if you cannot afford it then don't go!!

We do like a drink or 2 and are often still drinking at midnight but we have never seen drunken behavior on board.

I am up for the AI and would be happy to pay for it but not through the nose as we are budget travelers that like a nice holiday.

Having been ill for 5 days on one cruise and my husband ill for 4 days on another, totally different things and nothing to do with the ship, we would not even do a drinks package as we would have wasted it. We sometimes have only 2 drinks one day and maybe a lot more on another. I think I like "drink as you go".

I agree with Jean - we have both been ill for 3 days in a storm on a transatlantic cruise - the AI would have been well & truly wasted if paid for. My husband doesn't drink alcohol & only has a soft drink with his dinner although he has 2 speciality coffees a day, the rest of the time he drinks tea & coffee from the buffet or made in our cabin. I have, at most, 3 alcoholic drinks a day (not cocktails) and the rest of the day I drink herbal teas or water. We don't drink fresh fruit juice, we prefer to eat fresh fruit, so it would definitely not be worth it to us to go down the AI route. Also, should the premium brands not be covered, it would be a great waste of time for me because my only spirit tipple is a good cognac.