Question about the local vendors

Bernall

Let me start by saying that this is in no way disrespectful of the local island vendors. Some people seem to get their panties all bunched up easily, and that is NO way my intention.

Does anyone have any advice as how to enjoy the local markets when in port, yet maintain some control as to my children? Last cruise, it was very difficult to shop and enjoy the local markets and all they had to offer because many of the merchants were surrounding my children( ages 11,13 and 15), which didn't bother me at first at all. The problem came when they would string necklaces or put hats on my kids or tell them that things were free. They or myself didn't know how to handle it. We didn't want to be disrespectful of them but didn't want them to be as aggressive as they were. My oldest son had some money with him and when he went to buy a picture, the merchant grabbed his money and wouldn't give him his change. Unfortunately, we really could enjoy the shopping experience because we had to keep an eye on what was going on so closely. That was our first cruise so we aren't very experienced. Leaving in 21 days to sail the Eastern so any advice appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kid's do not understand that nothing is free in the islands, the vendors expect some sort of money exchange. You have to explain to them that saying something is free is not free, and that you are expected to pay them something in return. They are for sure old enough to understand this, and unless it is something they really like and you planned on buying, just teach them to say a polite no and walk away to somewhere you are not pressured to buy.

I for one hate with a passion being bothered like that, and as long as I say a simple no and they are polite about it I am fine.

Let me start by saying that this is in no way disrespectful of the local island vendors. Some people seem to get their panties all bunched up easily, and that is NO way my intention.

Does anyone have any advice as how to enjoy the local markets when in port, yet maintain some control as to my children? Last cruise, it was very difficult to shop and enjoy the local markets and all they had to offer because many of the merchants were surrounding my children( ages 11,13 and 15), which didn't bother me at first at all. The problem came when they would string necklaces or put hats on my kids or tell them that things were free. They or myself didn't know how to handle it. We didn't want to be disrespectful of them but didn't want them to be as aggressive as they were. My oldest son had some money with him and when he went to buy a picture, the merchant grabbed his money and wouldn't give him his change. Unfortunately, we really could enjoy the shopping experience because we had to keep an eye on what was going on so closely. That was our first cruise so we aren't very experienced. Leaving in 21 days to sail the Eastern so any advice appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think in this instance tell your children not only to stay close to you but in cases like this it is OK to say N0 very loudly and tell vendors not to touch and not worry about being "disrespectful" in tone of voice to adults. Somewhat same info as given at school for dealing with an uncomfortable situation.

I saw something similar (not on a cruise) when I was traveling in Bangalore with a friend and her 3-year old son. We were waiting for our driver to show up and street vendors would hand him a toy- usually a painted drum or something else that made noise. When Mom tried to give it back because she wouldn't pay for it, tears ensued. She gave it back anyway, but I can imagine that the kids win often enough that the vendors persist in this tactic.

In the OP's case, this is a good time to tell your kids that, although you've taught them to be polite and peaceful and co-operative, there are some cases where you have to break the rules because you're dealing with people who don't follow the same rules (that's putting it politely). It's a good life lesson.. At this point, it would be useful to have a talk with them about the incident and get their thoughts about how to handle something similar in the future (or what they wish they'd done at the time). That turns it into a learning experience.

Edited by Gloria Mundi

I see you're doing the Eastern route this time. We had a pretty annoying time on Orient Beach on St Maartin with the vendors. They roam the beach and bug you every 30 secs it seems. If you say no they give you a dirty look then move on. We had two vendors arguing with each other about 5 feet away from our rented beach chairs that we had to move to the restaurant area to not hear their conversation. So we couldn't even enjoy our chairs.

Orient Beach is topless on one side and fully nude on the other, just in case you didn't know. I don't know if you want to bring your kids here or not. It's mostly old people btw who do the French sunbathing thing.

Also I read somewhere on these boards that saying "No thank you" is confusing to the locals. Bc no means no, but thank you means yes. So essentially you are saying no/yes. So hearing yes last maybe they are trying to get you to give them money. I forgot who posted that, but I remember it was a lady originally from Jamaica.

Simple answer is, don't go anywhere local. How local are you talking? Manhattan? ;)

Can't you find some non-local islands to visit?

If they attempt to steal money from your family, then leave the market asap. Don't let your children have any cash - at least, don't let them admit to it.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

The vendors know they can prey on children, and are experienced in doing that. Make sure your children can say no, and won't allow to put anything on them: no bracelets, no hats, and no touching toys.

Keep the kids' money, and pay only if you want to buy something for your child. Do not allow any interaction between children and vendors. "Do not touch me" and "talk to my mom (dad)" are the 2 phrases the kids should remember.

For Spanish speaking countries- teach your children to say "no gracias".

You could also have them hold their hands together either in front or back where someone cannot put anything in their hands.

I am not a shopper so have little patience for markets.

The vendors know they can prey on children, and are experienced in doing that. Make sure your children can say no, and won't allow to put anything on them: no bracelets, no hats, and no touching toys.

Keep the kids' money, and pay only if you want to buy something for your child. Do not allow any interaction between children and vendors. "Do not touch me" and "talk to my mom (dad)" are the 2 phrases the kids should remember.

^^ This. :)

The ones who put 'free' necklaces on people are not vendors.

They are aggressive beggars.

And, This ^^

Your puppies are adorable. Three sweet furbabies.........

The ones who put 'free' necklaces on people are not vendors.

They are aggressive beggars.

Oh man, speaking of aggressive beggars, there is a young man outside Seraphina's in Marigot on St maartin. He said to us "Give me a dollar, you NEED to give me a dollar! Just one dollar, give me one dollar!" He would not let up. I spoke about him in my review and another CCer said the beggar tried to take their chocolate from his daughters (young girls) and said the same, You need to give me your chocolate!

The staff at Seraphina's does nothing about him. We ended up leaving that place, and I won't go back there. Seems like that's where he hangs out.

If it looks too aggressive, don't take them!! a number of years ago we did Dunns River Falls with our kids and after the falls you are herded through a vendor area and one guy put necklaces on the kids and even wrote their names on an item while following us to the van. As we got to the van, we said no thank you one more time and he had shoved the items in the kids hands asked for $25, we said no and we drove off. He didn't get any money. It really put a damper on an otherwise great experience.

On Labadee, we went through the vendor area and were very generous. One of them offered to trade the item he was selling for a plate of food. very sad.