Customer Service Problem

Dmgmd50

If they were unable to fix your toilet and your bathroom was unusable for a week, then $300 wouldn't be enough. However, it sounds like they did everything they possibly could. They fixed it quickly and cleaned it thoroughly.

Not using the bathroom after it was fixed was your choice and not something forced on you. I think the fact that you had an easy alternative meant that you didn't feel the need to "tempt fate" and use the toilet again. That's understandable, but not Celebrity's fault.

So, yes, $300 is acceptable.

Just my two cents worth to the conversation but by chance did your grandson accidentally flush something down the toilet to cause it to plug up or overflow.

I know what 12 year olds are like and they certainly don't usually own up to something like this.

I personally think $300 is very generous considering they fixed things quite quickly but you chose not to use the toilet for the remainder of your cruise.

I also feel that even if 3 people had to share 1 toilet, it wouldn't be too much of a burden since at home most people share bathrooms.

The only thing flushed down the toilet was by me and it was only stuff that should go in a toilet. Also, we didn't use the bathroom because we were afraid that if we did flush solid waste and there was another blockage, then we were really stuck since we could not move to another cabin. So I only used public bathrooms for "number two', not because I didn't like the smell of bleach.

And please remember that the blockage probably started before we boarded the ship as there was an odor when we first came in. In retrospect, the attendant should have had the plumbing checked when we complained the first time rather than just using a deodorizer

"odors"on ships are common place. DO a google search or forums search for "ship odor".

It has lots to do with plumbing and the ventilation and "p-traps" and ships moving and not always being level so the P traps lose their water blockage that stops gases from coming up.

Most of the time the culprit is not the toilet but the sink drain that lets the sewer gases come up. In fact the toilets are generally sealed completely from the system, (it's a vacuum system remember, so if not closed it would "vacuum" all the time in your cabin as the main lines are kept under vacuum for all the toilets in series on each branch of the plumbing grid, I think I read someplace generally 50 cabins share a vacuum leg) so gases coming up from the toilet isn't the case.

Also cabins on lower decks will experience the "ship smell" more often as the gases naturally fall to the lowest point they can.

Yep very true... I usually keep a wash cloth over the sink drain...works wonders or put a stopper in the sink and fill with a couple inches of water.

Both methods work, wash cloth is easiest!

This was in a one bedroom 1200 sq ft suite... Loved the suite, wash cloth always works!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last summer my family cruised on Disney Magic in the Mediterranean. The first or second day there we noticed the carpet was wet next to the bathroom and notified our cabin steward. He attempted to dry it with a towel. Long story short--we ended up getting customer service involved, the deck manager and a maintenance guy. Apparently the ship, which was scheduled for drydock soon after our cruise, had already worked on some of the bathrooms and ours was leaking to the point of a soggy carpet In the cabin between the bed and the bathroom wall. It took several phone calls, several trips to the customer service desk. The customer service manager sent us a nice note and a bottle of wine (I don't think it was terribly expensive wine) to thank us for our patience. We were pleased the problem was finally resolved after several days and it never, ever crossed my mind to be compensated for our inconvenience. I was just sorry it caused our steward extra work.

JoAnn

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app