Disclaimer: not for cruise (rumrunners in checked luggage)

debbs0723

Please be clear that I'm not asking about bringing rum runners on our upcoming November cruise. This doesn't involve any rule breaking or cheating of any company, cruise ship, etc.

I thought some of you might be helpful even though this is not cruise related. We are headed to Isla Mujeres with friends for 4 days this Sunday. Adults only trip. We are taking our own liquor because I know the liquor store there does not carry the kind I want. The airlines do allow bottles in luggage. I'm really just wondering if it is safer (breakage wise) to pack it in a rum runner or if that is risking it getting taken away.

This would be easier if I wasn't so picky about what I drank. :D

Thanks,

Debbie

We're spending several days in Quebec before our cruise. Have you priced liquor in Canada :eek:

We don't need it on the ship, we'll enjoy the Diamond benefits.

Edited by CRUZBUDS

The airlines do allow bottles in luggage.

Thanks,

Debbie

Since when?

Unless you are talking about carry on (which is more about the volume of liquid than anything else), that is.

We've never had a problem packing any glass bottle of wine or liquor in our checked baggage. that would prevent us from getting anymore... which would be bad.

There might be some misunderstandings here. We are going to Mexico, not Canada.

I'm not sure what you mean "since when". They don't allow the liquids in carry ons but do allow the bottles in checked luggage. That is what i"m referring to is checked luggage.

That is the problem is that my favorite obscure "made in Austin, Texas" vodka comes in a glass bottle. I was considering moving it to a rum runner instead to avoid breakage but I'm worried that the rum runner will get taken out by TSA since they can't identify it as being 70 proof or less.

I have flown with quite a few liquids put into other receptacles with no problems. I have flown with liquor in rumrunners and with NC barbecue sauce in plastic coke bottles. (Not the same trip) I DID include a note in my luggage that yes that was 5 pounds of barbecue and two bottles of barbecue sauce. All arrived at my destination without incident.

I'm not sure what you mean "since when". They don't allow the liquids in carry ons but do allow the bottles in checked luggage. That is what i"m referring to is checked luggage.

Sorry -- I hopped on -- same question except we're going to Canada -- I probably should have asked it as a separate thread. I was curious if RR on inbound flights to Canada were OK. :)

sorry- misread your post a little- I thought you said that they don't allow one to pack the liquid.

good sealed bag + clothing around the bottle- should be good to go.

I have flown with quite a few liquids put into other receptacles with no problems. I have flown with liquor in rumrunners and with NC barbecue sauce in plastic coke bottles. (Not the same trip) I DID include a note in my luggage that yes that was 5 pounds of barbecue and two bottles of barbecue sauce. All arrived at my destination without incident.

What about the coleslaw? You didn't forget the coleslaw did you?

We frequently pack wine in our checked bags and have never had an incident, but have heard of others who did. Maybe sure the bottles are completed padded by clothing on all sides. You could also tape some bubble wrap around it for extra padding.

I use these in checked luggage for everything from jars of New Mexico chile to local wine. They work great!\http://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Reusable-Absorbent-Eco-Friendly-Accessory/dp/B00308FONW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406583572&sr=8-1&keywords=wine+diaper&dpPl=1

Edited by Alaskanb

I use these in checked luggage for everything from jars of New Mexico chile to local wine. They work great!\http://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Reusable-Absorbent-Eco-Friendly-Accessory/dp/B00308FONW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406583572&sr=8-1&keywords=wine+diaper&dpPl=1

Have to agree. We just used these in checked luggage returning from a food and wine tour in Nothern Italy. Protected olive oil, balsamic vinegar and, of course, wine. No leakage or breakage. DH, who does the packing, pronounced them the best travel accessory I've ever bought.

Edited by Riverroad

Have to agree. We just used these in checked luggage returning from a food and wine tour in Nothern Italy. Protected olive oil, balsamic vinegar and, of course, wine. No leakage or breakage. DH, who does the packing, pronounced them the best travel accessory I've ever bought.

This thread has just reminded me to order some for our next adventure :) I like to take two with me for returning goodies! :)

Thanks, everybody. I've decided not to be such a "princess" ;) and buy something in the terminal in Mexico before getting on the ferry. There really is no shortage of booze sold in Mexico. I was just trying to avoid errands.

Thanks again,

Debbie

That is the problem is that my favorite obscure "made in Austin, Texas" vodka comes in a glass bottle. I was considering moving it to a rum runner instead to avoid breakage but I'm worried that the rum runner will get taken out by TSA since they can't identify it as being 70 proof or less.

My vodka of choice, love Titos Vodka, have a bottle in the freezer right now with Roses' lime juice for vodka gimlets.

• 4 years later...
On 7/28/2014 at 10:42 PM, Clay Clayton said:

I've packed rum runners in my checked luggage on several trips with no issues.

Hey I'm a little late, just doing some research on Rum runners lol, we are flying from montreal-miami approx 3.5 hours, then directly to port. if i put liquor RR's before i board plane, should they be okay with air pressure? I will only fill them approx 60% full and get as much air out as i can

On 7/29/2014 at 11:16 AM, debbs0723 said:

Thanks, everybody. I've decided not to be such a "princess" 😉 and buy something in the terminal in Mexico before getting on the ferry. There really is no shortage of booze sold in Mexico. I was just trying to avoid errands.

Thanks again,

Debbie

At the last US airport before your board your flight to Mexico there should be a duty free shop.  You may want to pop in and see what they have to offer.  The product will be sealed in the store and delivered to you at the gate as you board the aircraft.   

20 hours ago, montrealchicka said:

Hey I'm a little late, just doing some research on Rum runners lol, we are flying from montreal-miami approx 3.5 hours, then directly to port. if i put liquor RR's before i board plane, should they be okay with air pressure? I will only fill them approx 60% full and get as much air out as i can

They should survive the flight just fine. Whether or not they get past security at the port is a whole 'nuther story.