Freedom of the Seas drydock

The Maire D' of the Freedom told us on our 8/31/14 sailing that the FOS will be getting Dynamic Dining during its dry dock..

Also it was reported by the Captain and Hotel Manager during the Q&A on that cruise and a few others according to some CC members here.

However, the current Captain is telling people "no plans to implement Dynamic Dining on Freedom at this time"

No one knows who to trust or WHAT to believe :rolleyes::o

I hope its true. I will not get my hopes up too high though and still be happy with early seating traditional dining in the MDR if DD does not happen.

Edited by ryano

Also it was reported by the Captain and Hotel Manager during the Q&A on that cruise and a few others according to some CC members here.

However, the current Captain is telling people "no plans to implement Dynamic Dining on Freedom at this time"

I hope its true. I will not get my hopes up too high though and still be happy with early seating traditional dining in the MDR if DD does not happen.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that their plans for ships have changed.

I love early seating in the MDR too! It's easier for me to adjust to an alternative dining venue if on the rare occasion we miss our seating than to be burdened with determining a time and making a reservation every day.

I love to be care-free! I plan all my excursions in advance, don't carry a purse on a cruise. My only real work is to unpack-once!

Hope DD is NOT instituted fleet wide!

I was the one who asked this question during the Captain's Q&A session on the FOS 9/21 sailing. The hotel director stated that until DD is evaluated on the new ships, there were no definite plans to implement this during dry dock. Of course, Freedom goes into dry dock after the Quantum sails so I guess it could happen. We'll all just have to wait and see....;)

The hotel director stated that until DD is evaluated on the new ships, there were no definite plans to implement this during dry dock.

But that is the problem. Three weeks prior to your cruise he was saying DD is definitely coming to Freedom during dry dock. It was reported numerous times here by several people.

Honestly, Im not going to expect it for next April during my cruise and will just wait on the post dry dock cruisers to comment on whether or not DD is in place. I hope that it is :)

But that is the problem. Three weeks prior to your cruise he was saying DD is definitely coming to Freedom during dry dock. It was reported numerous times here by several people.

Honestly, Im not going to expect it for next April during my cruise and will just wait on the post dry dock cruisers to comment on whether or not DD is in place. I hope that it is :)

I agree. All you can do is wait and see. Maybe because of all the negativity here, they've decided to zip their lips about it? :confused: Either way, there's nothing any of us can do about it. I'm looking forward to the new dining venues! :D

I was the one who asked this question during the Captain's Q&A session on the FOS 9/21 sailing. The hotel director stated that until DD is evaluated on the new ships, there were no definite plans to implement this during dry dock. Of course, Freedom goes into dry dock after the Quantum sails so I guess it could happen. We'll all just have to wait and see....;)
From what I am picking up, RCI is now pulling back from FR is "definitely getting DD after Drydock" to a Let's see how it is going on QU, AN, OA & AL before we announce that another class of ship (e.g. Freedom) is getting DD.

The Hotel Director and Captain who announced DD was coming to FR after drydock in August are on vacation now and there are a different Captain and HD.

I'm hearing that RCI is getting some negative feedback about DD so that could have something to do with a slowdown on implementation. Implementing it on the 4 ships I mentioned above would allow RCI to work out the kinks. They are still having IT problems with the dining reservation system. They have also added more dining times like 4:30 PM and 9:30 PM for some or maybe all complimentary restaurants.

Edited by SherriZ366

We were told differently…I guess they changed their minds after all the grumbling about Dynamic Dining.

They had said in August that Dynamic Dining is going to be instituted.

There was even talk of removing the Main Dining Room chandler and putting in a floor on the top dining room level to increase space…however that was not a certainty.

I wonder if putting that type of floor in the level 5 (and 4) dining rooms would work structurally.

Agree about the grumbling about DD, I'm picking up that there has been a great deal of it.

Edited by SherriZ366

The last time my husband and I sailed was to Alaska on the Radiance in 2013 and I hadn't heard abut Dynamic Dining. I only know of the set early or late dinner times or the choice to do My Time Dining. So... What is Dynamic Dining?

The last time my husband and I sailed was to Alaska on the Radiance in 2013 and I hadn't heard abut Dynamic Dining. I only know of the set early or late dinner times or the choice to do My Time Dining. So... What is Dynamic Dining?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

Thanks for this. I should have searched their website and I was admittedly being lazy this morning!

So if I read that right, early/late dining times were always n the main dining room. My Time Dining was still in the main dining room but you could reserve a specific time that suited you better. This Dynamic Dining just takes it one step further where you reserve a time that works for you but also pick a restaurant for that time that you want to try.

I am assuming that if they go to Dynamic Dining that the other two options just go away?

Edited by Kycruisefan

Thanks for this. I should have searched their website and I was admittedly being lazy this morning!

So if I read that right, early/late dining times were always n the main dining room. My Time Dining was still in the main dining room but you could reserve a specific time that suited you better. This Dynamic Dining just takes it one step further where you reserve a time that works for you but also pick a restaurant for that time that you want to try.

I am assuming that if they go to Dynamic Dining that the other two options just go away?

Yes, there is no traditional dining (two fixed times coordinated with show times with same table, waiters, and tablemates) with Dynamic Dining.

I was on Freedom the weeks of 9/7 and 9/14. Both weeks we heard about the changes coming to FOS, including "new and exciting" changes to dining. The dining changes were mentioned on our All Access Tour.

I guess we won't really know until after the January dry dock.

I was on Freedom the weeks of 9/7 and 9/14. Both weeks we heard about the changes coming to FOS, including "new and exciting" changes to dining. The dining changes were mentioned on our All Access Tour.

I guess we won't really know until after the January dry dock.

A lot of the confusion may be more semantics than substance. Even if they don't implement DD until after it is tested and debugged on Quantum first, the only time when they will be able to make the structural/design/décor changes is during dry dock.

Quote from the RCI flyer that was published yesterday:

Q: Is Dynamic Dining rolling out to additional ships?

A: As leaders in innovation, Royal Caribbean International is reimagining dining at sea with the launch of Dynamic

Dining aboard the Quantum class of ships. This revolutionary program also will be introduced to the Oasis

Class, the world’s largest and most innovative class of cruise ships, during their upcoming scheduled dry docks.

Dynamic Dining is a strategic initiative for Royal Caribbean and based on the positive response from our

guests, it is our intention to implement this program across as many of our ships as possible, as part of our

Royal Advantage program — our ongoing commitment to offer the best experience in the industry to our

guests. At this time, there are no plans to implement Dynamic Dining on Freedom of the Seas during her

upcoming dry dock due to certain limitations including time restrictions. We will continue to communicate any

implementation of Dynamic Dining across the rest of the Royal Caribbean fleet as those decisions are made.

Edited by cello56

Same here, maybe I'll wait and see what you have to say after your cruise. I can't remember if your going one week or two before me.

A lot of the confusion may be more semantics than substance. Even if they don't implement DD until after it is tested and debugged on Quantum first, the only time when they will be able to make the structural/design/décor changes is during dry dock.

That maybe a valid point given what we see on Oasis this week.

A: As leaders in innovation, Royal Caribbean International is reimagining dining at sea with the launch of Dynamic

Dining aboard the Quantum class of ships. This revolutionary program also will be introduced to the Oasis

Class, the world’s largest and most innovative class of cruise ships, during their upcoming scheduled dry docks.

Dynamic Dining is a strategic initiative for Royal Caribbean and based on the positive response from our

guests, it is our intention to implement this program across as many of our ships as possible, as part of our

Royal Advantage program — our ongoing commitment to offer the best experience in the industry to our

guests. At this time, there are no plans to implement Dynamic Dining on Freedom of the Seas during her

upcoming dry dock due to certain limitations including time restrictions. We will continue to communicate any

implementation of Dynamic Dining across the rest of the Royal Caribbean fleet as those decisions are made.

I hope this holds true for FR for all the cruises we have booked on her from 2-2-2015 to 1-10-2016 (see signature). I hope they are adding a Sabor (and maybe another specialty restaurant or 2) to FR and will have adequate MTD space for those who would like it. Meanwhile, I will enjoy my upcoming FR cruises with Late Traditional Dining and my cruising party will be able to enjoy the "Always Available" menu and for one person to order a special steamed vegetables menu. Hope they keep the Chilled Soups for the other 3 in my party too.

Just curious, but do you have a link to this flyer?

By the way, I'm hoping it is true that Freedom will not be getting DD.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Feeling better about the family gathering group booking I have for next year on Freedom now, although given the RCI decision making process this could be completely wrong too :)

I hope this holds true for FR for all the cruises we have booked on her from 2-2-2015 to 1-10-2016 .

If DD isnt coming to Freedom during the January drydock, my guess is you wont see it for 5 years when the next drydock is scheduled.

Terribly disappointed. Especially since the Captain and Hotel director confirmed it was coming in January. This only furthers my belief to not listen to a word they say. It wont ruin my cruise though.