Voyage of Midnight Sun-North Cape Explorer Question

First, I would like to thank all the Cruise Critic posters for the comments, information, blogs, and reviews you’ve shared for others to enjoy and to learn from.

My mother and I are thinking of taking the Voyage of the Midnight Sun (Ryndam) or North Cape Explorer (Prinsendam) itineraries in summer 2015. If you have taken either of these itineraries on any ship, we’d appreciate your comments about whether or not we could enjoy lots of scenery (once in the fjords) without leaving the ship.

My 86 year old mother is in good health except for arthritis in her ankles. She is fine walking inside, but walking on rough surfaces like cobblestones, etc. can be very painful and tiring for her. She would be really happy watching the scenery from the ship while sailing or in port. That is the only entertainment she wants!

She is a 4-Star Mariner, and has sailed on both these ships years ago, so she’ll feel right at home. It’s fine that these are older ships and showing some wear –so are we!

We are hoping that once in the fjords, we could enjoy the views like you can when cruising Alaska’s Inside Passage, or the approach to Stockholm. If we are wrong about this, which is pretty much the entire reason for going, we’d better make a different choice.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Alison

My mother and I are leaving tomorrow to take Midnight Sun cruise on the Rotterdam. She'll be celebrating her 86th birthday on the cruise! I'll be posting at least a brief review and photos when I get back. She can do the easier HAL shore excursions, with little walking, but is looking forward to the smaller ship = easier to get around. Our last several cruises have been on Vista Class and it's a long way from the dining room to the showroom!

We did the Voyage of the Midnight Sun last year on Ryndam. I did a report at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1896249. The scenery was amazing, and in the fiords it's just there! On both sides and all around. We did have occasional fog - usually at night, and of course, the crossing from and to Dover was just seascape. We were on the starboard side, so returning from the North Cape we were on the "outside", but so much time was spent in among islands or in fiords, it didn't really matter which side you were on. I hope you enjoy whichever you choose.:)

We did the Voyage of the Midnight Sun last year on Ryndam. I did a report at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1896249. The scenery was amazing, and in the fiords it's just there! On both sides and all around. We did have occasional fog - usually at night, and of course, the crossing from and to Dover was just seascape. We were on the starboard side, so returning from the North Cape we were on the "outside", but so much time was spent in among islands or in fiords, it didn't really matter which side you were on. I hope you enjoy whichever you choose.:)

Ann .... we are doing the Voyage of the Midnight Sun next year on Ryndam and I read every word of your comments (and lingered over every photo). They made me even more eager for this voyage!

Thanks so much for sharing ... we really enjoyed it. May I share your link on the roll call for our sailing?

Thanks

Carol in SC

I have cruised up and down the coast of Norway more times than I can count, on several HAL ships. It is one gorgeous country from south to north, and back again.

Your mother will be quite please with the scenery in the fjords, and the approaches to the ports. Sometimes the sail in the morning is totally different in the afternoon. Both rides should be appreciated.

I don't know what the specifics are of the itineraries you're looking at, but it really doesn't matter. You just cannot go wrong for scenery in this part of the world.

Ann .... we are doing the Voyage of the Midnight Sun next year on Ryndam and I read every word of your comments (and lingered over every photo). They made me even more eager for this voyage!

Thanks so much for sharing ... we really enjoyed it. May I share your link on the roll call for our sailing?

Thanks

Carol in SC

Yes, of course you may, and thank you for wanting to do that! I'm flattered:D

Yes, of course you may, and thank you for wanting to do that! I'm flattered:D

No, thank YOU for your generosity in sharing. I think there will be more than one "wow" comment :) The link is posted in our roll call for the 5/23/15 sailing and I hope you check it out sometime.

Thanks again !

Edited by cp556

we just completed (mid July) the midnite sun cruise on the Prinsendam. It was one of our top cruises ever! the sights are unbelievable! Norway is a beautiful country and with the longer days (some times days with no nites) one can enjoy every bit of the beautiful landscape.

We are sure you will find it very enjoyable and rewarding.

Did the VotMS on Rotterdam this year. None of the ports have rough terrain or cobblestones. Flåm train just 200m walk from the dock. Alesund HoHo bus 100 m from the dock. You may want to do the HAL Northcape transfer excursion. Bergen HoHo bus distance depends on which dock, but town center is a MUST see.

I am going on the Voyage of the Midnight Sun next summer on the Ryndam. I loved your report and photos. We did a road trip to Newfoundland last summer and I agree with your comments. Based on some of the photos you posted and mentioned, several did remind me very much of Newfoundland, an island I consider one of the most beautiful places I have every visited! Thanks for sharing!

Did the VotMS on Rotterdam this year. None of the ports have rough terrain or cobblestones. Flåm train just 200m walk from the dock. Alesund HoHo bus 100 m from the dock. You may want to do the HAL Northcape transfer excursion. Bergen HoHo bus distance depends on which dock, but town center is a MUST see.

I did a B2B June 2013. I agree with HarR. Some details may help. The Flam train sell a RT ticket at a much lower price than HAL. You don't get the pancakes, but you go to the end of the line. Warning: the tickets from the ticket office sell out fast.

An alternate tour sold in the tourist office in Flam is a Bus ride to Gudvangen and then a mail boat back to Flam stopping at villages along the way. The bus ride is about 20km most of which is in tunnels through the mountains.

Edited by JayS

Many thanks to everyone who responded! Please know that you have made my mother very happy to know that she can enjoy this cruise. I will show her Ann's review, and your encouraging comments. It's great to know that another mother-daughter pair of similar age is doing the Midnight Sun itinerary, and also that the North Cape Explorer will make her equally happy.

For those going on either itinerary, have a terrific time!!

<SNIP>

Your mother will be quite please with the scenery in the fjords, and the approaches to the ports. Sometimes the sail in the morning is totally different in the afternoon. Both rides should be appreciated.

I don't know what the specifics are of the itineraries you're looking at, but it really doesn't matter. You just cannot go wrong for scenery in this part of the world.

I'll add my voice to Ruth's comments here, so long as you are in the fjords you will have scenery surrounding you that should enthrall you. You won't be disappointed. :)