09/20/04 mariner tokyo to HK

Hi. Is anyone sailing on this cruise? Has anyone cruised this itinerary before? I have millions of questions but so far I can't find any postings on this particular route. We have sailed on Princess (Mex Riv), Celebrity (WCar), Carnival (NO to Coz) and RC (Vcr to Hawaii), but this Radisson is a first. It sounds like a great line. But the Asian challenges concern me. Any tips?

My husband, Joe, and I will be on this trip with you. We are long-time Radisson cruisers. Given your earlier cruise experience, you are in for a wonderful treat. We sailed on other lines before 1993 but have been loyal Radisson patrons since then. We are taking the 4-day precruise excursion from Tokyo to Kyoto and Nara and returning to Tokyo for embarkation. See you in September. Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn. Maybe we'll run into you on board. I was in Tokyo and Taipai in 1967 but I'm PRETTY SURE things have changed alot since then - especially since at 15 my perspective was slightly different than now!

Rhonda

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Marilyn & Rhonda,

Yes, We will be on from Seward Sept. 8 to Hong Kong and I can hardly wait. I have never done this itinerary although we have been to Beijing on a cruise ship stop and by land tour. A very interesting city. Also visited Hong Kong a few times and really enjoy it also. The cruise ship docked right by the ferry terminal. There is so much to see in H.K. and it is a great walking city.

I hope to meet you onboard and so keep in touch.

I think alot of CC people have gone over to the "other" site which is why you may not have been getting much response to your inquiry.

Bye now,

Joanne

The itinerary sounds interesting, but I am very unhappy that there is not a covered pool on the Mariner, as it will likely be very chilly. Is there an indoor hydotherapy pool or hot-tub?

How likely is it, compared to other ships and itineraries, is it that an average person might get seasick on this cruise?

Are there deeply discounted business class fares available either through Radisson or otherwise for someone who has no frequent flyer miles?

Thanks for your assistance.

Greetings Gilianrose,

Have been on the Mariner twice. No, no covered, inside pool. The jacuzzis on deck may not be too bad once you get in. Of course, getting out will be a challenge. Maybe you can keep one of the pool towels warm and have a significant other ready to wrap you up quickly then you can dash into the spa for a hot shower, suana or steam bath. I saw people on an Alaska cruise in the outdoor Jacuzzis in about 50 degree temps.

Yes, it will be fun to meet on board.

Bye now, Joanne

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's official, made final payment yesterday. Now I can start getting really excited.

Isn't there anyone else cruising from Seward to Hong Kong? I hope I'm not the only one, although having all those desserts and chocolate to myself would be heaven.

TTFN (TaTa For Now) Some Brits we met last year on the Mariner taught us that. I think it's neat.

Joanne, the Chocoholic

• 1 month later...

Greetings Marilyn & Joe and Rhonda & ?,

Well, almost time to sail. Yesterday I laid out everything I'm packing, put it in the suitcase to see if it fit, (it did), then took it all out again. So all I have to do now is the "real" packing. Getting excited now.

Would you like to get together for dinner in the Compass Rose on the 20th at 1900? It's the day of departure and I don't know if you might be too tired from the flight. If you prefer, we could meet in the Observation Lounge on the 21st to introduce ourselves. Maybe before lunch about 1130.

Any other suggestions? Hope we can meet. In case you want to contact us onboard, we are in #815.

Joanne & John

Hi, Joanne and John. We'd love to have dinner with you on September 20 in the Compass Rose at 7 P.M. We are going early on September 15 and taking a 4-day precruise excursion to Kyoto and Nara returning to Tokyo on September 19. Hopefully our jet lag will be under control by then. If you need to contact us, we are in #739. See you soon. Marilyn and Joe

Greetings Marilyn & Joe,

Looking forward to meeting you on the 20th at 7pm. I guess it will be just us four unless someone else posts here. Shall we meet at the table or outside?

I am so envious that you are going to Kyoto and Nara pre-cruise. I have heard that Kyoto is a wonderful city with lots of intereting sights. Is this a Radisson tour or did you put it together yourself?

Have you been to Tokyo before? We only have one day there and we don't know what we are going to do. Typically, we avoid the ship's tours because I don't like being herded around on a set schedule. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Go to the city tomorrow to apply for our China VISA.

See you next month.

Hi again, Joanne. The four-day precruise excursion is through Radisson. You can see what it is on the Radisson website under the itinerary of our trip. Go to Land Programs and you can scroll down to Tokyo and Kyoto Discovery. It is pretty pricey but we figured we won't be going back so why not see it all. You can see where they are taking us when we get back to Tokyo at about noon on the 19th. We are going to a famous fish market, Tsukiji, very early between 5 and 6 AM, on September 20, the day of embarkation. From what we've read, there are fish auctions for all the fish to be used in restaurants, etc. and tons of sushi and other restaurants in the area. It sounds like a lot of fun and worth getting up early for. Then back to the hotel to check out and be taken to the ship whenever the transfer takes place. Won't be long now! Marilyn

P.S. Why don't we meet for dinner outside the main entrance to Compass Rose?

Greetings Marilyn,

Meeting outside C.R. sounds good. How will we know each other? I'm rather ordinary, average looking, short, greying hair. John has a short beard but is bald. Both about 5'6, normal weight, I think. If there's chocolte around, that's where you will find me. See you onboard then.

Pick up our VISA next Monday. Can hardly wait.

Joanne

Hi, Joanne. First of all, I noticed that I gave you the wrong cabin number. It is 737, not 739. Joe has white hair and is 5'10 and I have blond hair and am 5'3 and we both wear glasses. We wish we were normal weight like you!!

We'll be anxious to hear about the first part of the cruise from Seward. Take care. Marilyn

Hi cruisers and we will be doing this one in Sept 2005 so please let us know the details and how it went. We will be on Voyager in the Baltic in August but next year in Asia. You lucky folks are in for a super real trip.

Rhonda, Did you get answers to your questions? I haven't done an ocean cruise there but I have been to China and Japan on business. Also in May did a river cruise and land trip in China so if you have general questions about travel in Japan and China, I may be able to help. We started our trip recent trip in Hong Kong.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone out there going from Seward to Hong Kong? My name is Tom & I will be taking this journey by myself. I am very excited about it! I have been on Mariner before and am a bit of a history buff. Currently absorbing Peter the Great's Danish relations with V. Bering. Have been to Moscow before and pretty up on their history.

Should anyone wish I will have a wealth of books & materials on Japan, China,Alaska & Kamchatka. The Mariner is a superb ship!Let's hope for good seas.

Any questions please e-mail. Looking forward to meeting new friends on board. Arriving Anchorage Marriott 9/7 and riding grand view train to ship next day.

:) Tom McBride

Seward-Hong Kong

Greetings,

As you can see from previous posts, there are four of us meeting for dinner on Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. outside the Compass Rose. You are very welcome to join us. If you can't make it, our Suite is 815, if you could let me know so we don't wait for you.

See you soon,

Joanne, the Chocoholic

• 1 year later...

For all of you who posted replies to my thread waaaaaay back in Sept 04 regarding the Asian cruise.....for whatever reason, I only just discovered all your responses. My apologies.

It was a great cruise and the city time was amazing. Loved the ship, although we found it quite deserted most of the time. Kind of spooky. I know the staff were finding it hard to keep busy what with no one on the pool deck except at lunchtime, noone in the karaoke bar, etc.

Archived