El Cheapo Cruises Thread

Someone on my TA roll call has been talking about the Hawaii - Sydney sails. They cited $700 ish p.p. Inside for one of those trips. Spewing it was so cheap for them.:mad:

Jetstar are offering good fares to Hawaii at the moment. Great if you can get a great deal on a cruise home from there.

Icat. I am assuming $150 pp balcony?? Do u include grats for that??

I aim for under 150 pp for balcony too, but that is pre grats.

My Chrissy cruise was 200 pp for a balcony, but that was over Chrissy, peak time BB cat & included grats so was still happy to pay that for that time frame :-).

No Grats on Spirit its all part of the price.

Someone on my TA roll call has been talking about the Hawaii - Sydney sails. They cited $700 ish p.p. Inside for one of those trips. Spewing it was so cheap for them.:mad:

Saw pricing at $980 pp couple of days ago but not at $700 pp

Sometimes Seniors get better rate. I dunno why they should do.

*snorts*

It's them oldies AGAIN icat, getting all the bargains, infiltrating Carnival, taking over the cruises, raising the medium cruising age and making carny workers a living misery..... ;) :rolleyes: it's just so unfair!!:D

Sometimes Seniors get better rate. I dunno why they should do.

because they dont get a big wage and then they can cruise more, i've never seen it on the aussie ships, RCI do give a senior rate to 55 plus

I meant region. Ie US. :). They regularly talk about cruising for $50 pp pday.....

But those prices were available for Aussies, just through a US TA and in USD. If you can wait for last minute sales, there are some great bargains to be had. We recently sailed for $68 AUD per night per person (taxes, fees and gratuities included) out of Sydney.

But those prices were available for Aussies, just through a US TA and in USD. If you can wait for last minute sales, there are some great bargains to be had. We recently sailed for $68 AUD per night per person (taxes, fees and gratuities included) out of Sydney.

Righto, that's a challenge. Gotta find me one of these bargains! :)

We actually got a seniors discount (over 55) for a 2016 trip on Explorer, leaving from Sydney, a few weeks back. I always tick the box if we are looking at a cruise after hubby makes that milestone. Then we had hassles using our future cruise certificate, prices changed, all the usual gumf.

Then we found a week later there was a sale on and we would have saved about $300 overall if we had waited and gone with the sale, but then we couldn't use the FCC.....it is always hard work bargain hunting. So while not a great bargain in the end, it can happen on the Aussie page from RCI. For all of those that doubt it, here is a screen shot! Note that only one person needs to be over the 55, but both people get the discount, unlike the Crown and Anchor balcony discount which was per room.

For the record it worked out just under $200 each per night, 10 nights South Pacific, for a Junior Suite, before gratuities. We set that as a bit of a target. We can't get away for long, so we like to splurge.

explorerseniorsdisc.jpg

Edited by goodycruising

Currently the Nov 11th Celebrity Century Sydney-Adelaide 8 day cruise is available for a senior with Captains Club membership from a large US TA for $415pp total (grats extra) . Inside gty.

I try for prices in the range of under $100 for interior but will go up to $150ish for a balcony. Strung together a 43 day (as seen in my sig) cruise trip last year and ended up in balconies after starting out with a few inside cabins. Total was under $4000 USpp and had paid grats for out Trans Atlantic plus $500 OBC over the four ships.

This time we booked the Solstice 12 day NZ cruise and went a bit above our budget. $1925 USpp. But that was for an Aqua cabin with free grats, $300OBC and the free drinks package.

All booked from the USA. Being a relative newcomer I am surprised how great the value is in a cruise holiday. I have been well schooled by CC and the tips I have picked up have saved us $1000's already.

We were pretty pleased with our Solstice deal coming up in Nov this year. Similar with 12 nights to NZ, 1A balcony (bigger balcony on the hump) at AUD$2179 each incl grats, and US$300 OBC. The only thing we find irritating is that we need to fly back from Auckland to Sydney which adds over $400 and some stress to the end of the trip. I wish we could stay in NZ for a few days but it is not possible this time.

Just checked your nov 11th Century, it works out pretty good after the exchange rate on the aussie site. Captain's Club elite, put in over 55, and total incl grats at $1078 for 2 pax 8 nights. There is a discount in there, but I can't get the details of what has given us the discount rate. Sometimes the US TAs are not cheaper than looking at the .com.au site. You need to check out both. We can pay by direct credit through the bank and there are no exchange fees then also.

I need to retire so I can do all these nice bargains! But then I need to earn money to pay for them!

Edited by goodycruising

Just saw a Concierge guarantee on Century 8 nighter in October 2014 for about $100 each per night, but then I talked for 5 minutes, click the hold button and it jumped up. Seriously, I need to press the hold immediately! Those guarantees seem to be very fleeting, as I had that the other day. Even when it jumped up it was about $125 each pp per night. I checked out the ship, and some Concierges on Deck 10 are under bars on Deck 11, but it still sounded sweet. We are still pondering that. We REALLY can't! (but it could be worth trying to swing it!)

I did however take the opportunity to buy a bit more OBC for our Nov Solstice trip. They are offering it at parity. I have seen this on other Celebrity threads and it seems a very good deal, you buy $25 OBC for $25 aussie. We will be trying this for the first time ourselves, but others say you get $25 US for your $25 Aus.

I did however take the opportunity to buy a bit more OBC for our Nov Solstice trip. They are offering it at parity. I have seen this on other Celebrity threads and it seems a very good deal, you buy $25 OBC for $25 aussie. We will be trying this for the first time ourselves, but others say you get $25 US for your $25 Aus.

Hmmmmm. Worth looking into. Great pick up :). Thanks.

Please could you explain why it is worthwhile buying OBC. Isn't it just as easy to pay at the end of the cruise? I have $150 OBC as I used a FCC for my upcoming cruise, and expect that will go in purchases from the shop for our grandkids and the occasional drink as I don't like doing ships excursions.

Just wondering why folk would buy extra OBC unless its just to get the good exchange rate but unless spending a lot of $$ I wouldn't think it was worth the effort. Please enlighten me, I love to get a good deal so if there is a bargain to be head I need to know!!!

J\

How would that work - I saw that they were allowing you to buy AUD$25 in OBC but would think that that would mean that it would be converted to US$ by them or am I missing something? :confused:

Edited - just noticed that you have written that people are saying that the get the equivalent $ - can you point me to the link please? thanks :)

Edited by SunnyinDubai

Please could you explain why it is worthwhile buying OBC. Isn't it just as easy to pay at the end of the cruise? I have $150 OBC as I used a FCC for my upcoming cruise, and expect that will go in purchases from the shop for our grandkids and the occasional drink as I don't like doing ships excursions.

Just wondering why folk would buy extra OBC unless its just to get the good exchange rate but unless spending a lot of $$ I wouldn't think it was worth the effort. Please enlighten me, I love to get a good deal so if there is a bargain to be head I need to know!!!

In our case, we will have visa fees (as we are travelling to Indonesia) and that will be charged to our account. We will also look at having some laundry done as well. There may be the odd drink that we may purchase as well so it does not hurt to have some additional OBC put on our account. I see it as a instalment payment for expenses that we will incur onboard...:)

There are some great savings on the Century, as it is being sold, they are making sure it is full for every last sailing here this season.:D

Yeap. This ship seems to have a lot of the baragins at the moment. I think its a case of Celebrity just wanting the ship to be full. However, I only really saw them at the inside cabins of which I snagged one for the 1 December sailing.

The ship still seems to have plenty of availability too.

For us buying extra OBC means that you are paying for parts of your holiday expenditure in advance so it helps smooth holiday expenditure over a longer period of time and also with bill shock at the end of the cruise. The added advantage is if you can grab the dollar at a good rate or in some specials, at parity. when you know you will spend X amount, we find it nice to have already paid it.:D