El Cheapo Cruises Thread

1 hour ago, datone said:

This seems a reasonable price.   Departs Australia 11 May 2019.   14 night package Royal Princess.  Twin interior $2469 pp, twin balcony $3311 pp.

Alaska Cruise Tour.jpg

I have been hunting for this without success  any hints please

3 minutes ago, ninjacat8 said:

I think you mean departs Vancouver not Sydney 🤣🤣🤣

I am puzzled by your comment. I am not sure if you are referring to the Alaskan cruise that has just been mentioned. I can't see where anyone mentioned an Alaskan cruise leaving from Sydney. It appears to be a package including international airfares from Aust to Vancouver, then a cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. There is a land content, then return flights. 

12 hours ago, datone said:

Facebook is your friend here.   "I love cruising" particularly "with" Princess.   Regards "Laura".

Thank you    clever to use the same name as her home page  (lol)

Edited by windsor26

I don't know if this constitutes a "cheap" cruise but RCI are having a flash 48 hour sale and I just booked a balcony guarantee, with diamond discount, for $1930 for 8 nights South Pacific leaving mid March.  That will do us very nicely thank you, at $965 each $120 per night.  Getting hard to come by.

10 minutes ago, willsaway said:

I don't know if this constitutes a "cheap" cruise but RCI are having a flash 48 hour sale and I just booked a balcony guarantee, with diamond discount, for $1930 for 8 nights South Pacific leaving mid March.  That will do us very nicely thank you, at $965 each $120 per night.  Getting hard to come by.

It’s cheep in my books anyway, used to look at $200 ea for a balcony, that’s getting hard to find now.

hi GUT2407 , it's been a while since I was here. I am looking for info for a single woman, my sister who would like to cruise but is a bit unsure of what to do and pricing is an issue too for singles. Any advise would be appreciated . thanks michael

7 hours ago, madfisher said:

hi GUT2407 , it's been a while since I was here. I am looking for info for a single woman, my sister who would like to cruise but is a bit unsure of what to do and pricing is an issue too for singles. Any advise would be appreciated . thanks michael

I’m not a lot of help on solo as Mrs Gut would kill me if I tried to go without her, most lines are really selling by the cabin even though they price pp. and if you look at the numbers it makes sense, breakeven is more or less every cabin with two.

the only saving for them if one in a cabin is about $10 a day on food, bugger all difference in fixed costs, fuel, staffing etc. the loss they face is the onboard spend where the real profit is but only half the people spending.

best advice I can give is try and get a friend, family member to tag along with her.

7 hours ago, madfisher said:

Hi Michael, I have cruised solo 3 times.  I tend to book last minute to get the cheap deals as I know I will be paying double the price being a solo.

My budget for a 7-9 day cruise is  less than 1999.00.  I prefer a balcony.

Royal - Explorer - 9 days to South Pacific.  $1700.00 in inside cabin with a virtual balcony.  These cabins are excellent as full size and the virtual balcony means you can "see" outside.

Carnival - 7 days to Tasmania - $150O in guarantee verandah cabin.  Guarantees cabins are great value if you don't mind where your cabin is located on the ship.

Royal Carribbean have solo cabins on their Radiance and Ovation Ships where there is no single supplement charged.  However, Radiance only has 4 of these.  They are tiny inside cabins.

Ovation has more solo cabins.  Some with balconies, some without.  I managed to secure one with a balcony for next year, however I booked it when the cruise was first released as I was advised which was 2 years in advance.

Ovation - 9 days to NZ - $1900.00 in solo cabin with balcony. Cabin is smaller than normal but has a good size balcony.

For Royal, if you cruise solo in a standard cabin, you get double loyalty points. 

Hope that helps.

14 hours ago, madfisher said:

I find Holland America tends to be a bit more generous with the single supplement than the other cruise lines. It's not unusual for them to drop it to 50% close to a sail away.

The last few years it wasn't uncommon for P&O to drop the single supplement entirely, but I haven't seen it this year at all.

Anyway the secret to travelling single is to be ready to leave at the drop of a hat and to obsessively watch the pricing of the cruises you are interested in during the month prior to sailing, especially the last week.

I am, sadly, in a situation where I may have to look at travelling solo if I want to cruise more often. I have a travelling companion but she will not always be available. So, I am interested in finding out more about booking solo too. Is there a CC sticky somewhere on this subject?

We have our first cruise on Norweigan coming up.   We have booked an inside Yokohama to Vancouver 15 nights and my sister has booked as a solo same type of cabin.  Our fare was about 1350 and hers an extra 500 which I think is reasonable.   Since booking a friend has also decided to come along and also booked a single.  Unfortunately they were unable to change my sisters room to a twin.

As Sinbad suggested the clue is to spend a lot of time researching.

We also did a NZ cruise last month on HAL 13 nights the difference again being $400 extra for the single room.  

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I am, sadly, in a situation where I may have to look at travelling solo if I want to cruise more often. I have a travelling companion but she will not always be available. So, I am interested in finding out more about booking solo too. Is there a CC sticky somewhere on this subject?

Being local you and mad fisher’s sister should get together and share (now there’s only one person on earth I’d share with).