El Cheapo Cruises Thread

7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Even long term, any investment should be weighed up for its purpose, and value, not just bought because of a side benefit when there is a much larger amount at stake.

I agree, that is why I have always said, do it for the investment yield not for the OBC.

9 hours ago, amatuercruiser said:

Ok based on 10 years share ownership Back Of envelope calculation.

Outlay Buy 100 Carnival stock $4000 US $6000 Aus

Assume 10 Year Ownership

Typical Carnival share price appreciation over 10 years isnt much so lets say. $0 capital appreciation and gain. After 10 years you get just $4000 back

Shareholder On Board Credit benefit over 10 years

Assume three to four  14 day cruises over 10 years

=3.5 X $250 OBC =$875 x 10= $8750

Carnival Shareholder annual Dividend

10 years at $2 per share = $200 US x 10 years = $2000 US

Carnival Share Outlay $4000

Dividend Return $2000

OBC Benefit 10 years $8750

Assuming shares stay at same price you are $10,750 better off.

Dividends are paid at $0.30 USD per quarter so $1.20 per year. We tend to cruise a little less than that with Carnival corp lines but I can tell you the math isn't too far wrong after having the shares for around 7 years of ownership so far.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

BTW, there are some nice specials on Cunard and it is only another day until Sapphire Princess prices are released.

As a Australian lookiing to cruise in or around Australia Carnival Co Cruise ships are plentiful so I intend to make my first stock purchase in Carnival and try there ships first IE Cunard HAL, P&O Princess Costa etc.

18 minutes ago, amatuercruiser said:

As a Australian lookiing to cruise in or around Australia Carnival Co Cruise ships are plentiful so I intend to make my first stock purchase in Carnival and try there ships first IE Cunard HAL, P&O Princess Costa etc.

I bought mine about a year ago. Since then used it on 4 cruises (Carnival, P&O and Costa) and have 3 more booked for this year. It covers 90% of the cruise lines we use.

Thinking of buying some for my 22 year old who loves cruising. Can only be used once per cabin but as a long term investment for him I think he will get good value.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phill.Hurst said:

I bought mine about a year ago. Since then used it on 4 cruises (Carnival, P&O and Costa) and have 3 more booked for this year. It covers 90% of the cruise lines we use.

Thinking of buying some for my 22 year old who loves cruising. Can only be used once per cabin but as a long term investment for him I think he will get good value.

That is the best part of these, the dividends and the addition of OBC when cruising on certain lines.

15 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

I'm in NZ, can anyone help with how to buy the shares from here please?

I used an App called Stake to buy mine. You need a broker that can trade on the US market not just the Australian. Of the major banks I believe ANZ does but check brokerage charges.

I bought my shares 8 years ago in June 2012 for US$35.47 with ANZ online. They are now down to what I paid then (although I am really ahead as our exchange rate was around parity with the US then). In that time I have done about 20 cruises with Princess/P&O UK and have always received OBC - often received US$250 per cruise. The total OBC is now much more than the cost of the shares plus I have received dividends as well.

I understand that the shares did drop to around US$18 straight after the Costa Concordia went down but that was prior to my share purchase.

By the way I also bought RCL shares back in 2012 for around the same price. As they pay higher dividends their share price is now US$90. Until recently I found it difficult to get the OBC; but they have now changed their rules; so I have always got it in the last year.

Both shares of course have reached levels higher than at present.

I trade the stock market regularly but only bought these cruise line shares to get the OBC which I can still take as cash (on Princess only). This has been one of the best financial decisions I have ever made.

Brian 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

I'm in NZ, can anyone help with how to buy the shares from here please?

If you are from New Zealand

You could look at either buying the Dual Listed Carnival Shares on either

the London Sock Exchange or

The New York Stock Exchange.

Each country USA and England have very different tax implications you need to look at.

It might turn out that to buy 100 shares as a New Zealan tax payer r is not worth the extra paperwork and accounting costs for a Share holder $250 On Board Credit.

30 minutes ago, andlep said:

Hey how about making a separate thread on buying cruise line shares instead of clogging this thread with off topic conversation.

Agree as I'm getting fedup with thread update that really have no relevance to finding cheap cruises. A separate thread solves my inbox problem

Edited by denny girl

50 minutes ago, andlep said:

Hey how about making a separate thread on buying cruise line shares instead of clogging this thread with off topic conversation.

Here’s a couple...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2706172-carnival-shareholder-benefit/?tab=comments#comment-58662858

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2375868-urgent-shareholder-advice-carnival/?tab=comments#comment-5110156/

32 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I received an email from my cruise TA with Sapphire Princess cruises at very much discounted prices. When I checked what was available everything was coming up as booked out. Gotta be quick.

You may find vacancies later, when people don't pay for their bookings. 

I spoke to my TA yesterday.  She said she has been inundated with requests for bookings on the Sapphire Princess.  Hoping to get on the 17 day Perth to Sydney.  Great prices, but have a feeling they will rise dramatically due to volume of interest.  

Hoping to get a Premium Balcony at under $3000pp

8 minutes ago, Rustyone2018 said:

I spoke to my TA yesterday.  She said she has been inundated with requests for bookings on the Sapphire Princess.  Hoping to get on the 17 day Perth to Sydney.  Great prices, but have a feeling they will rise dramatically due to volume of interest.  

Hoping to get a Premium Balcony at under $3000pp

In MHO that sounds expensive, for what is happening evewhere,  we are on Queen Elizabeth $2100 good grade unobstructed balcony 27 days

2 minutes ago, ninjacat8 said:

In MHO that sounds expensive, for what is happening evewhere,  we are on Queen Elizabeth $2100 good grade unobstructed balcony 27 days

QE was dirt cheap hence why that 27 days sold out in one day.

Re Sapphire bookings. I'm going to book my own on the Princess website. I believe everyone gets same opportunity and who knows how many the travel consultants have to book . I might be 150 of a list of 200. So I take my chances doing it myself. If I miss out, I miss out.