Union Leader Warns Tourists of a transportation disaster at Dockyard

njhorseman

Well, you've guessed part of my plan! we will be taking the ferry to Hamilton, then a taxi to Coco Reef for the day. a day pass there pp is $59. This includes a lunch, glass of wine, lounge, umbrella use of pool, showers and beach front. a trip to Horseshoe will cost nearly the same. as much as I have enjoyed Horseshoe Bay over the years it looks like I will forego it this time around! I know I can't escape crowds, after all I am part of "the crowd".:eek:

Well' date=' you've guessed part of my plan! we will be taking the ferry to Hamilton, then a taxi to Coco Reef for the day. a day pass there pp is $59. This includes a lunch, glass of wine, lounge, umbrella use of pool, showers and beach front. a trip to Horseshoe will cost nearly the same. as much as I have enjoyed Horseshoe Bay over the years it looks like I will forego it this time around! I know I can't escape crowds, after all I am part of "the crowd".:eek:[/quote']

.....that's what we did when we went to Coco Reef. We'll be doing it again in a little over a month.

:D

wasiii

Well' date=' you've guessed part of my plan! we will be taking the ferry to Hamilton, then a taxi to Coco Reef for the day. a day pass there pp is $59. This includes a lunch, glass of wine, lounge, umbrella use of pool, showers and beach front. a trip to Horseshoe will cost nearly the same. as much as I have enjoyed Horseshoe Bay over the years it looks like I will forego it this time around! I know I can't escape crowds, after all I am part of "the crowd".:eek:[/quote']

I really think Coco Reef is a great value and I am really thinking about booking it myself...the only thing that prevents me from doing so already is the weather...

Once you commit to a date, even if it rains, you have to honour it...not the case with a regular beach day :(

But I "might" still do it :)

Have fun !!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

we'll buy a three day transportation pass and the ferry is included in that. Can't say what the cost is for that though maybe under $20? I'm sure someone here will know for sure.

Transportation passes are $15, $25 or $35 for a one, two or three day pass, respectively.

.....that's what we did when we went to Coco Reef. We'll be doing it again in a little over a month.

:D

wasiii

Did you have a good time there? it is certainly "a lot of bang for your buck"! This is a first for us, usually it is Horseshoe or Church Bay. when we docked in St George, Catherine's was the #1 choice. I really liked Catherine's...

A token costs $4 . Two tokens per person are required for a round trip. You have to add on the cost of a taxi from the ferry terminal in Hamilton to Coco Reef and return.

The cost of the taxi from Hamilton should be around 10$ for 1-4 passenger ( +25% on Sunday ) per way.

The advantage of the taxi is that it drops you at the door of the resort...the bus leaves you at the road and it's a little walk to the resort. If you are lucky, you might get a lift in a golf cart to reach the road to take the bus when you depart.

How much is the taxi to Coco Reef? Is it per person? Also, I thought you only pay when you get there, so if it rains do you have to cancel via email from the ship? thanks

From the Dockyard it will be around 45$ ( plus tip ) and ( plus 25% if it is on Sunday ) per taxi for up to 4 passenger.

Yes you only pay when you get there, but I read on a previous thread not long ago that a cruiser "had to go" on the day she had reserve even if it was cold and raining...so really I am not sure now...

From the Dockyard it will be around 45$ ( plus tip ) and ( plus 25% if it is on Sunday ) per taxi for up to 4 passenger.

Yes you only pay when you get there, but I read on a previous thread not long ago that a cruiser "had to go" on the day she had reserve even if it was cold and raining...so really I am not sure now...

Well, I should be finding out sometime today just what the particulars are to Coco's reservations. I'll let you know! Seems like we may have hijacked this thread from it's original intent ~ my apologies

Did you have a good time there? it is certainly "a lot of bang for your buck"! This is a first for us' date=' usually it is Horseshoe or Church Bay. when we docked in St George, Catherine's was the #1 choice. I really liked Catherine's...[/quote']

.....do you think I would be going back there if I didn't have a good time?

;)

wasiii

Bermuda still has a great transportation system' date=' the problem arose when only large ships were being sent to Bermuda and the only docking that would accomodate them was the Dockyard thus releasing thousands of people into an area that cannot move the masses quickly enough.

When the ships were docking througout Bermuda (Hamilton, St George, Dockyard) transportation was rarely an issue. The bigger the ships that come in --- well you know the rest --- just look at the pictures.

Not entirely true. Peg, NJHorseman and I have all been there with the Breakaway and Explorer of the seas. I agree with both, that the system with the "special" beach bus worked just fine. Yes, at times there might have been a wait for a bus but nothing like what is being reported now.

I agree. The old system worked...and it was cheaper for the tourists. We were there last year in early October with both the Breakaway and Explorer of the Seas (the two largest ships that call on Bermuda) in port together Wed - Fri and everyone got to where they wanted to go. The most strained part of the system was the ferry to St. George, not the buses to the beach.

The new systems smacks of political retribution. Government is tired of dealing with the union's nonsense and this system totally puts the union out of the picture.

Sure does. You have a work stoppage to paralize things, well, we'll show you what we can do.

Bermuda needs to get their ducks in a row or more people are going to have seconds thoughts about going or decide not to go at all.......like us.

So is there any reason to purchase a multi-day pass for the ferry & buses now if we can't actually use the buses? We had planned to get the 2-day passes so we could ferry to St. George the first day (Wednesday) and then use the buses the following day for the 5 south beaches and possibly Hamilton. If we must use the beach shuttle then I guess we won't use the 2nd day pass at all? Also, are the taxi costs per ride, per person or roundtrip? We are a family of 5 so no cost-sharing for a taxi I'm guessing.

So is there any reason to purchase a multi-day pass for the ferry & buses now if we can't actually use the buses? We had planned to get the 2-day passes so we could ferry to St. George the first day (Wednesday) and then use the buses the following day for the 5 south beaches and possibly Hamilton. If we must use the beach shuttle then I guess we won't use the 2nd day pass at all? Also, are the taxi costs per ride, per person or roundtrip? We are a family of 5 so no cost-sharing for a taxi I'm guessing.

Taxi costs are per ride. Prices for 5-7 passengers in a taxi are higher than 1-4 passengers in a taxi.

You can still use the pass on the bus system for other trips...there are just no longer the beach express special buses.

Taxi costs are per ride. Prices for 5-7 passengers in a taxi are higher than 1-4 passengers in a taxi.

You can still use the pass on the bus system for other trips...there are just no longer the beach express special buses.

Thinking it out if I am going to go to the beach any day I would probably not get the pass for any of my Bermuda time. I would go ala carte.

Edited by Charles4515

and now for todays news:

http://bernews.com/2014/08/plp-we-need-visitor-transportation-solution/

This is so frustrating! It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't bringing 7 other people with us this time - 5 that have never been to Bermuda before.

Is the long line for the buses to the beach? :confused:

Looks like they want tourists to pay for a shuttle or taxi.

We are visiting Bermuda for the first time and this is all too confusing for us.

It seems so easy a few weeks back...

Thank you all so much for keeping us posted with updates and helping us plan our itinerary!

We were thinking of getting the passes as well. But looks like tokens would be the way to go us. Ferry to St. George and back to the dockyard is only $8 per person (round trip) so we might just get the tokens.

Have a good trip.

Do I understand this right. You can no longer take the express number 7 bus to Horseshoe Beach? Can you take the regular 7 bus to Warwick Beach? It makes no sense.

You would have to take the regular number 7 bus, or a taxi, no matter what to get to Warwick. The Special buses that ran express to Horseshoe were taken off. The regular buses that do local stops still run.

I was on Bermuda cruise in June and used the Special buses two days. Everything went smoothly. Changing a system that was working does not seem like a good decision. Changing it in the middle of peak season no sense.