Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Not long back from a fortnight on this great ship. The layout of the mens sauna/steam area is exactly the same as on Explorer - see my earlier posting # 112. The whole area was spotless & the attendant made frequent visits whilst I was there, also there were always plenty of clean towels to be had. Sadly on this particular cruise the area was always fairly quiet, with the same 5/6 guys seen most days.

I'm quite sure that many guys are not aware that these facilities are available as they are not mentioned in any onboard ship info that I could find.

I already have my next cruise booked for the autumn, so any info on Adventure would be gratefully received.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Enchantment of the Seas, which was not very enchanting.

No steam or sauna, tiny gym area.

I called to book a massage, and no masseurs on this ship.

I wasn't enchanted by that, although the rest of the ship was nice.

On Rhapsody next week, so will let you know about that one.

I hope it has male only facilities where I can go 'european'.

Hi,

I've narrowed my cruise options down to these three ships. Can anyone give me the latest on the men's steam/sauna facilities on these ships? From past threads, Navigator sounds great - but just want to double check that RC haven't ripped out the facilities!

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone been on the Norwegian Gem and can provide so info on the men's spa? Separate men's/women's facilities, crowded, worth the visit? Thanks

I will be on the Gem in less than 2 weeks. I was on the Pearl last year which is the sister ship to the Gem. There is a charge to use the spa. The men's and women's facilities are separate. The men's area has a steam room, large sauna with forward facing panoramic views. Also, there are 2 individual jacuzzi's, lounge chairs for relaxing, open showers for a quick rinse, and a cold water plunge pool. There are also showers in the bathroom area.

The co-ed area has a cool rainforest shower, large hot tub, hydro pool with jets/stations, and heated tile loungers.

I never thought that the men's area was crowded. The co-ed area was crowded at times but quiet other times.

I hope that this helps.

I was on the Azamara Quest 2 years ago, fantastic ship, and if you get Captain Carl, superb.

Regards your query for facilities. The gym is good size, and changing rooms are no too bad. There is a large steamroom which often varied in persons using it. The facilities are single sex only and no co-ed.

Am on the P&O Oriana in January and hope they have same type of facilities. Also doing the MSC Orchestra in October.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the cost of the use of the sauna and steamroom on the Allure. I hear that it is not complimentary and you have to pay an additional fee to use them. Are there saunas and steamroom that can be used even if you don't have a spa treatment?

From what I've read, the Allure (& Oasis) only has a co-ed steam & sauna area, with 4 tiled/heated loungers, for use only by guests having spa services.

Most of the avid spa users that have commented on the Allure or Oasis' steam & sauna areas have been VERY disappointed with this set-up and with the size of the facilities (considering the ships carry over 5400 passengers, each).

Hope you have a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently, one does not need to pay to use the steam & sauna facilities aboard the Mariner of the Seas. They are located within the men's locker room, shared by both the spa and fitness areas.

In order to get a locker key, go to the reception desk for the spa, and trade your cabin keycard for a locker key; they will keep your keycard while you're lounging (much safer than leaving your possessions on a bench in the locker room, in my opionion).

The facilities on this ship are quite spacious and you should find them quite enjoyable.

Bon voyage!!

:p

I will be on the Gem in less than 2 weeks. I was on the Pearl last year which is the sister ship to the Gem. There is a charge to use the spa. The men's and women's facilities are separate. The men's area has a steam room, large sauna with forward facing panoramic views. Also, there are 2 individual jacuzzi's, lounge chairs for relaxing, open showers for a quick rinse, and a cold water plunge pool. There are also showers in the bathroom area.

The co-ed area has a cool rainforest shower, large hot tub, hydro pool with jets/stations, and heated tile loungers.

I never thought that the men's area was crowded. The co-ed area was crowded at times but quiet other times.

I hope that this helps.

Just got off the Gem yesterday and there are a few differences in the Gem Spa area than what we had on the NCL Pearl.

There was no cold plunge pool in the men's thermal suite. Also, there was no rain shower in the co-ed area either. The rest was the same.

Hi JimBill:

You might want to go on the Royal Caribbean main thread to post this question, as this thread discusses gyms, work-out facilities, spa, sauna and steam configuarations (rants and raves) for the cruiselines.

This link should take you there, good luck! Please share your thoughts on the spa facilities on the Allure when you come back! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Does anybody know if you have to pay to use the Sauna and Steam room on Mariner of the seas . I do enjoy my Sauna and Steam room at the end of the Day. I much prefer the men only ones where you do no have to wear wet bathing costumes

We were on the Mariner in July and it was still free of charge then :)

The cleaning was not up to the normal standard though, we noticed a used Bandaid on the steam room floor three day running, the towels quickly ran out as well :(

We might give Royal Caribbean a miss for a while.

Before I book my next Royal Carib. cruise.....

I am just checking. Are the Oasis, Allure, and Enchantment the only ships in the Royal fleet that do not have free sauna and steam rooms in the men's locker areas? Can anyone add other ships that I need to know won't have separate facilites.

thanks

In addition to the vessels you listed in your 8/26/11 post, the Monarch of the Seas, to my knowledge, no longer offers ANY steam or sauna opportunities onboard.

Additionally, while there is a tiny steam 'cabinet' offered on the Majesty of the Seas in the small men's locker room, in my opinion it isn't worth using (and I'm usually an avid user of such facilities when available).

Happy Sailing

:p