Yellow fever shots?

LHT28

I am not getting the shot because I am not going to the Amazon. I have been told by the TA and the cruiseline that it is not required for a cruise that doesn't go to the Amazon. If you are doing an Amazon cruise, you may have a real problem.:(

jc

Yellow Fever shots are not required to go to Brazil from the US. However, if you are travelling in the state of Amazonas and other states in the Amazon region other countries may require the shot. For example, my cruise stops in Barbados after the Amazon and they require that we have the shot even if we are not getting off the ship. Even so, this can be waived if you have a medical reason and your doctor will stipulate this in writing. Check with the cruise line to make sure.

stops in Barbados after the Amazon and they require that we have the shot even if we are not getting off the ship.

I could not find any information on Barbados requiring yellow fever certificate?

can you tell me where you found it?

I will have to check the other ports as well.

Are you going to the Amazon on your cruise? If not I have been told by someone I believe and trust that it is not required. HAL puts the notification on regarding the yellow fever shot on all Brazilian cruises, but it is not required if you do not visit the amazon.

jc

Are you going to the Amazon on your cruise? If not I have been told by someone I believe and trust that it is not required. HAL puts the notification on regarding the yellow fever shot on all Brazilian cruises, but it is not required if you do not visit the amazon.

jc

Yes the cruise we were looking at goes to Manaus so as we cannot get a definate answer from the cruiseline we are going to just forget that cruise.

It is too much hassle.

Thanks for the replies

Our cruise also goes to Manaus, and we were told to get the yellow fever shots. Which cruise are you looking at?

Nancy

We were looking at the 25 day Oceania cruise from MIA-MIA in Nov but will forgo any cruises to Brazil.

I am not will to take a chance without a shot and due to medical reasons cannot have "THE SHOT"

• 6 months later...

I recently purchased a copy of the Health Information for International Travel book from the CDC. I have found it to be a wonderful reference tool.

I looked up Manaus and it is in the Yellow Fever Endemic Zones and then I just looked up Barbados and it does say that a yellow fever shot is required there if you are traveling from the Endemic zone.

There is risk with any vaccination and the book does note that in particular that traveler's age 60 and above should discuss the Yellow Fever vaccinations with their doctor prior to making arrangements to take it.

My wife and I recently were given this vaccination without a problem and I also took it several years ago for business travel.

The book does say that some governements will accept a physician's letter clearly stating why the patient cannot take the vaccination.

If I was concerned about the shot, I think the safest thing to do would be to find another cruise that didn't involve the shot.

Keith

Gillian

DH and I had Hep A & B last year. Last month we had yellow fever and typhoid. Neither injection was that bad. Sore arm for a day or two and that was it. Very easy. Yellow fever is good for ten years and typhoid injection for two.

SQ

Another option in lieu of a Typhhoid injection is to take the live oral vaccine of four tablets. This has the added benefit of lasting for five years vs. the two years for the injection.

Again, there are certain individuals for medical reasons who should be concerned about Yellow Fever shot even though the majority of us who take the Yellow Fever shot will not have any side effects; specifically the very young and those under 60 should consult with their doctor.

Keith

Hello Nancy C. I couldn't help but write as I was a Nancy Cooper before I married. I am now a Nancy Heath and live in Texas. Seattle is one of our favorite places.......lucky you! Have a good cruise! I was reading this board as we go to S America Jan 2007 Valparaiso to Rio.

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slrman

I am not sure where people get their information about yellow fever, and malaria shots from. I live in Brazil and have toured the Amazon, spending several days on a coat going up the Solimões and Rio Negro rivers. We were NOT required to get any shots for this and, after being there, I didn't feel any were needed.

What I would recommend for any Americanos or Europeans traveling in Brazil is to only drink bottled water. The l'il critters in the water here will not be kind to intestinal tracts unaccustomed to them. In three years, I have had three attacks in the touristas, one requiring hospitalization. On the plus side, the Unimed facility here in João Pessoa was wonderful and inexpensive. My Brazilian medical insurance didn't cover hospitalization for the first six months and so I had to pay for a 3-day stay, including an emergency room entry. Total cost in 2003, $267USD for everything including a private room, meals, 17 units of IV saline solution and all medications.

If you aren't living here, better to not even brush your teeth with anything but bottled water.

Many times it is not that Brazil requires the shots, it's that if you have been to certain areas within Brazil and then are visitng other countries, the other country that you are visiting may require that you obtain the yellow fever shot. Again, this varies by country.

Keith

Guest slrman

As I mentioned, not only were we not required to get any shots, no one even asked about it, either the airlines, the hotel, the boat tour company, no one. Despite what many people think, even the Amazon is not a trackless wilderness full of danger, disease, and death. Think about it, if it were, would so many tour companies thrive there? When is the last time you heard of anyone contracting yellow fever or malaria in Brazil? I can't think of anyone, either.

Both the tour company and our doctor told us that none of this was necessary, After being on the boat for four or five days, I could see why.

Again, I want to strees that all of this varies by country.

I have a copy of the Health Information for International Travel published by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (eg., CDC). It provides the requirements by country for Yellow Fever shots. In some cases, a particular country does not require that you obstain a Yellow Fever shot when traveling to an endemic zone and in other cases a particularly country does. So, if you are unsure the best thing to do is to consult with a health office that provides the Yellow Fever Shots as they would know best what is required and you can also either go to the CDC web site or pick up a copy of the book I mentioned.

But, there are no blanket rules for this either way. It varies by area visited and by country.

Keith

Archived