New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

It usually is around 45 minutes before departing. Right now you go to an assigned spot on deck by your lifeboat station. No swiping of cards yet. You report to the steward with your cabin number and they call out the numbers and names of those that have not reported in to take attendance.

It's quite organized. The only thing that causes delays is "no shows".

On our last cruise they scanned our room cards

Every cruise line has its own standards, styles, techniques, idiosyncrasies, traditions and other characteristics that are unique. It has been suggested that we set up a sticky thread for folks who are new to Holland America but not necessarily new cruisers. Contributions by folks who have sailed on other lines as well as on HAL would be appreciated.

This thread is not intended to replace individual threads discussing specific issues. Rather it is intended to point out things that might be helpful to those who are cruising on Holland America for the first time.

My favorite user manuals for computers and associated software are the "Dummies" series, so that's the title I chose for this thread.

By the way, thus is not intended to replace the HAL Facts thread which has a different purpose.

Here's a thread on the First Time Cruisers board that may give you some ideas...but make sure your posts are specific to HAL. "I wish I knew before..."

Hi, I have never cruised on Holland America. We are looking forward to our cruise on the Noordam. I just want to know what prior cruisers think of the Speciality Dining Rooms vs the Regular Dining Room. We have booked the speciality night called"RUDY'S" - a French night speciality at the Pinnacle. Also has any one dined at the Italian restaurant? We are dining one night at the Pinnacle as the Steak and Seafood restaurant. Also, does the main dining room change every night or just certain items change evey night? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Diane

Cruising for a week (Seward to Vancouver) after a week on land in Alaska

Hi, I have never cruised on Holland America. We are looking forward to our cruise on the Noordam. I just want to know what prior cruisers think of the Speciality Dining Rooms vs the Regular Dining Room. We have booked the speciality night called"RUDY'S" - a French night speciality at the Pinnacle. Also has any one dined at the Italian restaurant? We are dining one night at the Pinnacle as the Steak and Seafood restaurant. Also, does the main dining room change every night or just certain items change evey night? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Diane

Specialty dining has been very good for us 90% of the time. It can vary by ship to ship and week to week but overall, we have enjoyed it and glad we did it.

The main dining room menu changes every night.

There are a few items that are there every night for those that want them if nothing appeals or prefer them but the menu itself, changes daily for dinner and lunch.

the breakfast menu is extensive but never changes.

I haven't done Rudy's yet. It's relatively new (used to be Le Cirque) but we are jumping in with both feet on our upcoming cruise.

Hope this helps and you enjoy your first HAL cruise.

Diane

Kazu has answered most of your questions, but I thought I'd weigh in on Canaletto, the Italian specialty restaurant. I took my first cruise ever last September to Alaska (roundtrip from Seattle, 14 days) on the Amsterdam and ate in Canaletto twice. Excellent both times! It has an upscale menu even though it's located next to the Lido (casual dining). Great service, too -- and wonderful views. As far as I'm concerned, it was worth the extra charge, and I've already booked 3 Canaletto dinners for my upcoming summer cruise (38 days, Voyage of the Vikings, on the Rotterdam).

On your Alaska cruise, salmon will be on the menu every night -- plus some additional salmon dishes and other northwestern specialties that vary every night. I haven't rechecked the menus I saved, but I know elk was offered at least once, duck several times, and lamb along with the more usual steaks, chicken, etc. I understand that main dining room fare can vary in quality from ship to ship, but on the Amsterdam last September, it was superb every meal.

Enjoy your cruise! Alaska is incredible.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Diane

We sailed to Alaska on the Noordam last May/June. Thought I would add our enjoyment of the Canaletto. We enjoyed it so much my wife wants to eat there for her birthday on our upcoming cruise. We had read about the Gnocchi and it did not disappoint!!. We enjoyed all dining choices that we made. One thing I enjoyed on our land portion was rain deer sausage. I had it for breakfast and we had it on a pizza in Anchorage. The rain deer burger was also good. You are smart in doing the land first with the cruise to "rest" up and relax.

Edited by Trapper44
spelling

First time on a HAL ship since the new Smoking Policy...can anyone confirm that on the Amsterdam the port side of the aft Lido deck is smoke free?

Do you mean the Sea View pool? (You did say aft). Yes, it is smoke free. There's only 3 ships where the smoking is on the port side. All the R ships are on the starboard side.

Do you mean the Sea View pool? (You did say aft). Yes, it is smoke free. There's only 3 ships where the smoking is on the port side. All the R ships are on the starboard side.

Thanks! yes, the Sea View Pool...am booked above it on port side and wanted to be sure no smoke would drift up.

Thanks! yes, the Sea View Pool...am booked above it on port side and wanted to be sure no smoke would drift up.

You should be fine. Lots of live threads from the World Cruise now so pretty sure several of them would report if things had changed.

This has been fun and insightful to read. We have had 4 cruises to Alaska, 1st with RC, 2 with Princess, and 1 with Norwegian....plus several with Carnival out of Galveston. We are excited to cruise for 14 days on the Alaskan Explorer with Holland America in 2019. I have lots of time to read about HA and plan for our trip.:cool:

Hi, we’re preparing for our first cruise next month on the Noordham. I was wondering how long does it take to get to know your way around the ship once aboard? We’ve seen some videos from experienced cruisers and they make it sound so simple! “Just take the elevators to the buffet. Or to go to the spa, just go aft side and you can grab a drink first”. They make it sound soooo easy, but we will have no idea where anything is. Does it take a few days to get your bearings ??

Hi, we’re preparing for our first cruise next month on the Noordham. I was wondering how long does it take to get to know your way around the ship once aboard?

When you board you will be given a small, folded, deck plan of the entire ship. Keep it! And take it with you when you leave your cabin.

First thing is to head to your cabin, drop off/unpack your carry-ons, and perhaps go through the paperwork waiting for you.

Then, if you are hungry find your way back to the elevator, and ask the person directing others how to get to lunch---Lido or dining room.

If not hungry, or after lunch, head to the top public deck (check that folded deck plan), and start walking the length of the deck to see what's there; drop down, and continue doing this until you have covered the public areas.

By then you will have a really good idea of where everything is, and how to get to it. Within a couple of days you should be able to give directions to others!

It takes even less time to learn how to get to your 'regular' haunts from other regular haunts---say, cabin to food, last place at night to cabin.

Hi, we’re preparing for our first cruise next month on the Noordham. I was wondering how long does it take to get to know your way around the ship once aboard? We’ve seen some videos from experienced cruisers and they make it sound so simple! “Just take the elevators to the buffet. Or to go to the spa, just go aft side and you can grab a drink first”. They make it sound soooo easy, but we will have no idea where anything is. Does it take a few days to get your bearings ??
The short answer is it depends on the person . Me a day, my DW a week or so . ;)

A good approach is to remember , main theater in front (bow) , food (MDR's) in back . Also cabin numbers increase front to back of the ship . The next step is remembering which decks have common space and which are primarily cabins . Normally you have a couple of cabin decks , then a couple of public decks , then 5 or so cabins decks followed by a few primarily public decks on top .

If this doesn't work , don't worry , you'll still be on the same ship .

First time cruising on HAL and are planning to have dinner one night at the Pinnacle Grill on an Alaskan cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in late May. Just wondering how far in advance we should book our reservation for 2? Also, is there any night that is better than any other night since I read that the menu changes nightly? Thanks

First time cruising on HAL and are planning to have dinner one night at the Pinnacle Grill on an Alaskan cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in late May. Just wondering how far in advance we should book our reservation for 2? Also, is there any night that is better than any other night since I read that the menu changes nightly? Thanks

The Pinnacle Grill menu has been the same for at least the last year and does not change every day.

If you want a specific date/time, it is best to book before you get to the ship. The most prized reservations are on the last cruise night.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Pinnacle-Grill-Dinner.pdf

Hi. Newbie to cruise completely! Going to Alaska with parent in June on Nieuw Amsterdam. Read through much of this board and didn't quite find the answers to the following so please help:

1) Onboard credit: how do I purchase in advance? Want to do so to take advantage of currency exchange rates

2) booked Pinnacle for last night...it is asking me for credit card to pay...can I use OBC for that somehow?

3) drinks: lots of confusing options...for us who are not big pop or cocktails drinkers (maybe a glass of wine with dinner, and bringing on 2 bottles from port as suggested to reduce cost), but do like lots of espresso type coffee drinks. It doesn't sound like a drink card is worthwhile since a) not that many drinks, b) assuming milk, regular tea/coffee, water, juice at breakfast are all free, so only need to pay for espresso in café, and the pop here/there? Am I correct? Will prepaid OBC credit help or should a drink card be purchased to avoid line up to settle bill the last night?

4) read that on Day 1 lunch is crowded and hard to get into dinning room especially if there is a large group booking the whole place? we are flying early with 3 hr time change and arriving at 10am in Vancouver (so 1pm my time), so by the time we pick up luggage and get transported to port we will be very hungry....what's the best approach to get food once we board, assuming that doesn't take forever (looked up the list and there are 1 other ship there at the same time).

Thanks in advance.

Hi. Newbie to cruise completely! Going to Alaska with parent in June on Nieuw Amsterdam. Read through much of this board and didn't quite find the answers to the following so please help:

1) Onboard credit: how do I purchase in advance? Want to do so to take advantage of currency exchange rates

2) booked Pinnacle for last night...it is asking me for credit card to pay...can I use OBC for that somehow?

3) drinks: lots of confusing options...for us who are not big pop or cocktails drinkers (maybe a glass of wine with dinner, and bringing on 2 bottles from port as suggested to reduce cost), but do like lots of espresso type coffee drinks. It doesn't sound like a drink card is worthwhile since a) not that many drinks, b) assuming milk, regular tea/coffee, water, juice at breakfast are all free, so only need to pay for espresso in café, and the pop here/there? Am I correct? Will prepaid OBC credit help or should a drink card be purchased to avoid line up to settle bill the last night?

4) read that on Day 1 lunch is crowded and hard to get into dinning room especially if there is a large group booking the whole place? we are flying early with 3 hr time change and arriving at 10am in Vancouver (so 1pm my time), so by the time we pick up luggage and get transported to port we will be very hungry....what's the best approach to get food once we board, assuming that doesn't take forever (looked up the list and there are 1 other ship there at the same time).

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

1. You cannot use OBC until on board the ship. Contact HAL about purchasing OBC to use on board.

2. No.

3. There is no financial benefit to purchasing a Beverage Card. There is no line to settle your bill... only to dispute it. You can view your bill every day of the week if you wish through your free shipboard-only internet connection.

4. There is a NY custom pizza station on Deck 9 and the Dive-In burger station by the indoor pool on Deck 9 for dining alternatives. The MDR on Deck 2 is often open on Embarkation Day, too.

Enjoy your cruise planning and make sure to join your roll call on the Roll Call Forum.

As Crew News said, the answer is (probably) 'no'. However, to be clear, you could use OBC on-board. However, by then, the last night might already be booked up.

The Pinnacle Grill menu has been the same for at least the last year and does not change every day.

If you want a specific date/time, it is best to book before you get to the ship. The most prized reservations are on the last cruise night.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Pinnacle-Grill-Dinner.pdf

Thank you. Out of curiosity, why are the most prized reservation on the lasts night of the cruise?

Out of curiosity, why are the most prized reservation on the lasts night of the cruise?

For many years, the menu on the last night has been terrible. There was even a time when there was an embarrassing "production" show with tossing of vegetables, parading around, singing & dancing, and all sorts of silliness.

In the last couple of years the last night menu has improved, but the tradition has now been ingrained for many of us.

I find that it puts a nice cap on the entire voyage. And then there's the practical reasons of being able to pick a more convenient time that allows for finishing (or even starting :eek:) packing, and getting to bed earlier than normal.

Our July Roll Call for Alaska is barely trudging along, and I have some questions:

I've never sailed on HAL (or been to Alaska).

1) Is it true that the bathroom is already stocked with shampoo, conditioner, and body wash? If so, I've prefer not to pack this stuff, but also wondering if it is harsh or smells weird??

2) We are taking a family cruise, and we will be next door to our family members. Both of our rooms have verandahs. Will our room steward be able to remove the wall on our verandah so that we can easily visit between cabins? (They have done this on a Royal Caribbean ship)

Thanks in advance! 95 days away!

Our July Roll Call for Alaska is barely trudging along, and I have some questions:

I've never sailed on HAL (or been to Alaska).

1) Is it true that the bathroom is already stocked with shampoo, conditioner, and body wash? If so, I've prefer not to pack this stuff, but also wondering if it is harsh or smells weird??

2) We are taking a family cruise, and we will be next door to our family members. Both of our rooms have verandahs. Will our room steward be able to remove the wall on our verandah so that we can easily visit between cabins? (They have done this on a Royal Caribbean ship)

Thanks in advance! 95 days away!

HAL provides Elmis products: shampoo, conditioner, bar soap, and body wash so you can leave yours at home unless you prefer your own. If so, recommend you buy your products after flying to the port to save your airline luggage weight allowance.

Your Room Steward can open half of the partition between the two balconies so you can walk through.