New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Wife and I will be going on the Ooosterdam Mediterranean cruise in a few weeks and have been reading about the dress code more specifically as I will be starting to pack for the trip soon. My question is about formal nights/gala nights; I know we have to wear (at least) a suit and tie, but I recently read it has to be a dark suit? Is this true? I was planning on bringing two light summer suits (white & tan). Will this be allowed? I have many other suits so that's not the issue, I would just prefer to wear a light colored suit.

This page has been so helpful, thank you to everyone who has been answering questions!

Wife and I will be going on the Ooosterdam Mediterranean cruise in a few weeks and have been reading about the dress code more specifically as I will be starting to pack for the trip soon. My question is about formal nights/gala nights; I know we have to wear (at least) a suit and tie, but I recently read it has to be a dark suit? Is this true? I was planning on bringing two light summer suits (white & tan). Will this be allowed? I have many other suits so that's not the issue, I would just prefer to wear a light colored suit.

This page has been so helpful, thank you to everyone who has been answering questions!

You do NOT have to wear a suit or tie for Gala Nights. The HAL requirement is for collared shirt and slacks as stated in your Express Docs. If you wish, you can leave your suit at home and save room for souvenirs. A nice polo shirt will be fine.

If you wish to bring a suite/tie/blazer or even a tuxedo, feel free to do so.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I have a followup question regarding the "soda fountain value card" (buy for $25, get $50 value on board). I understand that the card applies only to "fountain soda purchases." Does this mean it can be used at a bar (as well as any other places that might have "fountain soda")? We'll be on the Zuiderdam, if that helps. I'm just trying to get a handle on where on board this card can actually be used. (I'm not really a soda drinker, I'm more looking for seltzer/club soda, maybe an occasional ginger ale or coke.)

Could the card be used in the MDR to order a soda?

Relatedly, are there crew members taking drink orders at places around the ship (e.g., in the theatre), and, if so, could this card be used for "fountain soda purchases" from them?

Thanks for any information!

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I have a followup question regarding the "soda fountain value card" (buy for $25, get $50 value on board). I understand that the card applies only to "fountain soda purchases." Does this mean it can be used at a bar (as well as any other places that might have "fountain soda")? We'll be on the Zuiderdam, if that helps. I'm just trying to get a handle on where on board this card can actually be used. (I'm not really a soda drinker, I'm more looking for seltzer/club soda, maybe an occasional ginger ale or coke.)

Could the card be used in the MDR to order a soda?

Relatedly, are there crew members taking drink orders at places around the ship (e.g., in the theatre), and, if so, could this card be used for "fountain soda purchases" from them?

Thanks for any information!

Yes to all of the above. We do it often in the Lido and the Main Stage. It works anywhere there is a bar attendant and there’s no shortage of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question about purchasing a wine package...

I will be purchasing a wine package for my Father and I on our upcoming cruise. If we drink all of it by, say, mid-way through the cruise, can we purchase an additional package? Or can we only purchase in the first days on the ship.

Thanks!

Deb

Question about purchasing a wine package...

I will be purchasing a wine package for my Father and I on our upcoming cruise. If we drink all of it by, say, mid-way through the cruise, can we purchase an additional package? Or can we only purchase in the first days on the ship.

Thanks!

Deb

You can purchase a wine package at any time during your cruise. You can get different packages with different quantities of bottles.

I just got my cabin assignment for July 28 Sailing on Veendam. I am on DECK A (4), lowest level and I am assigned a cabin that is the most aft possible, and is pretty far from elevator. I had an inside cabin guarantee booking, which means that I "could have" gotten an upgrade. My cabin # starts with an 'MM' on DECK A (4), but I don't think that is an "upgrade" is it? I wasn't guaranteed an upgrade, I realize, but The cabin has been assigned. I think this is one of the worst sites on the ship, based upon my research. Plus, I had to pay the "single supplement" for this cruise, meaning I paid double. Any suggestions for getting cabin changed prior to cruising??

Please write ASAP? Just need advice. See pg 1 of this PDF of Veendam: https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/ve_2.pdf

Sorry to read about your GTY assignment. We had the same thing happen to us back in 2007; the only difference was that it was what would now be a 3N GTY on Royal Caribbean and we ended up with the very worst 3N possible, all the way forward, apparently next to the anchor room or an incredibly noisy crew stairwell or something incredibly bad to be next to when you are trying to sleep. Best of luck trying to get your assignment improved.

I just got my cabin assignment for July 28 Sailing on Veendam. I am on DECK A (4), lowest level and I am assigned a cabin that is the most aft possible, and is pretty far from elevator. I had an inside cabin guarantee booking, which means that I "could have" gotten an upgrade. My cabin # starts with an 'MM' on DECK A (4), but I don't think that is an "upgrade" is it? I wasn't guaranteed an upgrade, I realize, but The cabin has been assigned. I think this is one of the worst sites on the ship, based upon my research. Plus, I had to pay the "single supplement" for this cruise, meaning I paid double. Any suggestions for getting cabin changed prior to cruising??

Please write ASAP? Just need advice. See pg 1 of this PDF of Veendam: https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/ve_2.pdf

It looks like you are very close to an elevator and in an area where there is less traffic. A guarantee starts with the lowest in a category so you were "upgraded" one level within that category. Just a suggestion: If you start a new thread asking about that cabin or area you may get some responses from others who have stayed in one.

As to a suggestion for cabin changes... I had to book an OV guarantee when I was traveling single in April. I kept my eye on the sailing and as soon as I saw a Verandah open up I contacted HAL. It wasn't much more to pay for an upgrade and was worth it to me.

Good luck and have a lovely cruise. Whatever happens you will be on the sea and being catered to by the nicest staff ever. Who wouldn't love that?

Sorry you are unhappy with your cabin . Not sure if you booked direct or through a TA . It certainly wouldn't hurt to call and see what can be done . Paying for an upgrade is an option . It may be less then you think .

Having said that , your cabin location isn't bad . You are right near the rear stairs . I'm sure you will enjoy the Veendam . Smaller and older ship but well maintained with a wonderful staff . We found the entertainment matched or exceeded much bigger ships .

• Like 1

I just got my cabin assignment for July 28 Sailing on Veendam. I am on DECK A (4), lowest level and I am assigned a cabin that is the most aft possible, and is pretty far from elevator.

On the Veendam, nothing is "pretty far from elevator"; it's a small ship. The furthest aft cabin isn't even too far from the Crow's Nest, which is about as far away as you can get in passenger areas.

You have a large inside, which means a really nice size cabin, with plenty of storage space.

There's always a worst stateroom aboard, and it's always filled by someone who was given a price break

if they accept the chance of being assigned to it... otherwise known as a "lowest-category guarantee

booking" (aka "run of the ship"). You volunteered, and they took you up on it. :')

The only solution that comes to mind for this time is to "throw money at it", and even then that works only

if there is a better stateroom still unbooked. :loudcry:

That's this time. As for next time... :confused:

It looks like you are very close to an elevator and in an area where there is less traffic. A guarantee starts with the lowest in a category so you were "upgraded" one level within that category. Just a suggestion: If you start a new thread asking about that cabin or area you may get some responses from others who have stayed in one.

As to a suggestion for cabin changes... I had to book an OV guarantee when I was traveling single in April. I kept my eye on the sailing and as soon as I saw a Verandah open up I contacted HAL. It wasn't much more to pay for an upgrade and was worth it to me.

Good luck and have a lovely cruise. Whatever happens you will be on the sea and being catered to by the nicest staff ever. Who wouldn't love that?

Can you tell me how to "keep an eye on the sailing"? I don't know how to locate information on which cabins have been filled. Thank you!

Can you tell me how to "keep an eye on the sailing"? I don't know how to locate information on which cabins have been filled. Thank you!

You go in and start making another booking for that voyage and see what staterooms, if any, they offer.

Just don't click "BOOK" :o

On that particular sailing I just kept checking back to the site (as well as another I can't mention) to see when the "SOLD OUT" sign disappeared from a category, which meant that rooms had opened up. To drill down for more detailed information, I did the same as Haboob, below, states.... I started a dummy booking without logging in.

You go in and start making another booking for that voyage and see what staterooms, if any, they offer.

Just don't click "BOOK" :o

It's been mentioned before, but probably worth noting again--keep an eye on fares after you book. I'm departing 1/26/19 on the Oosterdam, and had a VH guarantee booked. Got a price alert in my email this afternoon, and after a call to the travel agent, upgraded to SS guarantee for $50 each.

It's been mentioned before, but probably worth noting again--keep an eye on fares after you book. I'm departing 1/26/19 on the Oosterdam, and had a VH guarantee booked. Got a price alert in my email this afternoon, and after a call to the travel agent, upgraded to SS guarantee for $50 each.

Do you get an opportunity to choose the upgrade room, or guarantee only?

Can I ask who the price alert email originated from?

Can I ask who the price alert email originated from?

I'm not sure what the rules are with respect to links, so with apologies if it's verboten--it came from ***************. I'd signed up with their "ship mate" app on my phone, but I think you can do the same on their web site.