New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Your TA should know your dining time or it is listed on your reservation which you can find under your account on the HAL website. When in doubt, call HAL and ask.

There are vegetarian offerings on each dinner menu in the MDR but never hurts to ask for additional menu options. You can always ask for extras. We have a small plate of fresh vegies instead of bread while we are perusing the menu and have seen extra plates of steamed vegies at other tables served 'family style' during the entree.

Edited by take us away

Your TA should know your dining time or it is listed on your reservation which you can find under your account on the HAL website. When in doubt, call HAL and ask.

We had a TA on our last HAL cruise who handled it for us, but we just booked online ourselves this time. Is this an option that becomes available online at some point? Thanks!

We had a TA on our last HAL cruise who handled it for us, but we just booked online ourselves this time. Is this an option that becomes available online at some point? Thanks!

It's an option that's supposed to be available when you book the cruise.

Take the advice to call HAL and straighten it out.

,,, and 2) is there a dress code for the MDR for breakfast and lunch or only for dinner?

I'm not sure exactly what the dress code for breakfast and lunch is, but there is one. A friend made the mistake of wearing a sleeveless t-shirt to breakfast and was turned away as he "needed sleeves". A gentleman behind us had three pre-teen to teen daughters with sleeveless shirts and he asked if they needed sleeves. It was politely indicated that, yes, they did. Flip flops and shorts weren't a problem and we even saw them at the Mariners Brunch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising for the first time in a long time and first time using a travel agent. Our TA booked us at 8pm for dining each night on our cruise and I'm a little concerned because what if we get hungry at 6pm? Do we have to wait till 8 or can we go earlier?

We are cruising for the first time in a long time and first time using a travel agent. Our TA booked us at 8pm for dining each night on our cruise and I'm a little concerned because what if we get hungry at 6pm? Do we have to wait till 8 or can we go earlier?

No, you cannot go earlier. You could switch to "Anytime" or "Open" dining, where you go when you want and can request seating with others or on your own, and wait times depend on what is available. Many passengers prefer this option. You cannot switch back, once you change to Open dining. Or you could see if you can switch to early dining (usually around 5:30 pm) when you board.

No, you cannot go earlier. You could switch to "Anytime" or "Open" dining, where you go when you want and can request seating with others or on your own, and wait times depend on what is available. Many passengers prefer this option. You cannot switch back, once you change to Open dining. Or you could see if you can switch to early dining (usually around 5:30 pm) when you board.

You also have the option to eat at the Lido any time during the dinner period, either for a full meal or a snack to "tide you over" until your meal time.

What about dress code for dinner in the MDR? Will blue jeans and a polo or button up short sleeve be sufficient? We are starting a one year round the world trip and the cruise is our first step of the trip to get us to Europe. Formal clothes won't be very practical to stuff in the backpacks.

Thanks

What about dress code for dinner in the MDR? Will blue jeans and a polo or button up short sleeve be sufficient? We are starting a one year round the world trip and the cruise is our first step of the trip to get us to Europe. Formal clothes won't be very practical to stuff in the backpacks.

Thanks

We definitely saw jeans in the MDR on our recent cruise. On formal nights you might want to try the buffet or room service.

I hope someone can answer this question. We are experienced cruisers but new to HAL. Will be on the Z 17Nov 2014

The meet and greet says at the Digital Workshop.

What deck is this on? I don't see it in the Deck Plan.

Also - will a ship officer or rep be there for the meeting also?

Does the safety drill involve going outside to the deck?

And is it with or without lifejackets?

We've been through the Canal already - going this time to see the progress on the "new" Canal lane.

Thanks. Peg

I hope someone can answer this question. We are experienced cruisers but new to HAL. Will be on the Z 17Nov 2014

The meet and greet says at the Digital Workshop.

What deck is this on? I don't see it in the Deck Plan.

Also - will a ship officer or rep be there for the meeting also?

Does the safety drill involve going outside to the deck?

And is it with or without lifejackets?

We've been through the Canal already - going this time to see the progress on the "new" Canal lane.

Thanks. Peg

That M&G is not a Cruise Critic M&G - it is HAL's facebook groups one. Very few people actually go to that. There is a Cruise Critic roll call for your cruise, and likely a M&G organised... go here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1889577

Yes, the safety drill is on deck 3, I believe - where the lifeboats are. Your lifeboat number will be printed on your card. Listen to the announcements, usually it is around 4:15pm. No, do not take your life jacket.

I'm not sure exactly what the dress code for breakfast and lunch is, but there is one. A friend made the mistake of wearing a sleeveless t-shirt to breakfast and was turned away as he "needed sleeves". A gentleman behind us had three pre-teen to teen daughters with sleeveless shirts and he asked if they needed sleeves. It was politely indicated that, yes, they did. Flip flops and shorts weren't a problem and we even saw them at the Mariners Brunch.

Wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!! We, DH and I have been on close to 40 cruises, and one Hal cruise about 13 years ago. We are currently booked on a 45 day next Oct. to the South Pacific. I have quite a collection of nice sun dresses, not beach cover ups. These dresses have been fine for all other MDR dining, and I have no dresses with sleeves, are you telling me that I'm NOT ALLOWED to wear my nice dresses in Hal's MDR? Many formals have no sleeves at all! But I think we are talking about breakfast and lunch as I don't wear pants much.

Is the Lido open 24/7 for free ice, iced tea, juice, coffee, and did I mention free self serve ice? What juices are free for breakfast/lunch/ dinner?

Does the Amsterdam have the blues club that I have been reading so much about?

Great thread......thanks in advance.

Wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!! We, DH and I have been on close to 40 cruises, and one Hal cruise about 13 years ago. We are currently booked on a 45 day next Oct. to the South Pacific. I have quite a collection of nice sun dresses, not beach cover ups. These dresses have been fine for all other MDR dining, and I have no dresses with sleeves, are you telling me that I'm NOT ALLOWED to wear my nice dresses in Hal's MDR? Many formals have no sleeves at all! But I think we are talking about breakfast and lunch as I don't wear pants much.

I think in this case, it may have been the specific shirts the young ladies were wearing, I didn't think it was strange that my friend (who is male) was turned away wearing a sleeveless T-shirt, but with the young ladies I immediately thought of all the dresses and dressy shirts for women that have no sleeves. I'm sure you will be fine.

• Like 1

I think in this case, it may have been the specific shirts the young ladies were wearing, I didn't think it was strange that my friend (who is male) was turned away wearing a sleeveless T-shirt, but with the young ladies I immediately thought of all the dresses and dressy shirts for women that have no sleeves. I'm sure you will be fine.

Thank you for your response, I do have light sweaters to "use" to enter the MDR, but this really took me for a loop! When one thinks "cruise" they usually think to pack several sun dresses. Jeans but no sun dresses does not make much sense.

Can anyone answer my question about the lido drinks/ice? We are used to having a "cooler" in our room and take juices from the breakfast/lunch self serve to enjoy later as is, or mixed with our spirits from guest services. We use a lot of ice for our drinks and my swollen feet. Thanks folks!

• Like 1

Is the Lido open 24/7 for free ice, iced tea, juice, coffee, and did I mention free self serve ice? What juices are free for breakfast/lunch/ dinner?

Does the Amsterdam have the blues club that I have been reading so much about?

Great thread......thanks in advance.

You are fine with your dresses, no worries .

The Lido is open 24/7 for water and coffee and tea. Iced tea is there during the day - I've never noticed if it is there at 2:00 am, so I can't say for sure it is there 24 hours :)

In the morning at breakfast time there is every kind of juice under the sun available both in the Lido and the MDR at no charge. the juices stay in the Lido until around 10:30 am (just check your on location).

For ice, just ask your room steward and they will happily fill your ice bucket for you as well as the small one in the room.

hope this helps a bit

You are fine with your dresses, no worries .

The Lido is open 24/7 for water and coffee and tea. Iced tea is there during the day - I've never noticed if it is there at 2:00 am, so I can't say for sure it is there 24 hours :)

In the morning at breakfast time there is every kind of juice under the sun available both in the Lido and the MDR at no charge. the juices stay in the Lido until around 10:30 am (just check your on location).

For ice, just ask your room steward and they will happily fill your ice bucket for you as well as the small one in the room.

hope this helps a bit

Thank you !:) Sounds like we will be collecting juice in water bottles to enjoy in the afternoon/evening in several collapsing coolers and also bringing our own trays to do so. Sounds very classy.:confused:

At least I'll be wearing a nice sundress!

Edited by Ocean Dancer

Thank you !:) Sounds like we will be collecting juice in water bottles to enjoy in the afternoon/evening in several collapsing coolers and also bringing our own trays to do so. Sounds very classy.:confused:

At least I'll be wearing a nice sundress!

Just don't pour the juice right into your water bottle for sanitary reasons. There is a note to that effect. Just take some of the juice glasses.

We wanted to have mimosas, so I just brought some glasses to the room, put them in a bottle and the fridge and returned the glasses. No biggie. And I didn't use a tray:)

There could be juices available in the afternoon, I just honestly don't recall as we tend to have other beverages :o;)

Remember, there is fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning - free of charge :D

• Like 1

Here is the HAL Lido Restaurant Breakfast menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Lido-Breakfast-Menu.pdf

Here is the Room Service Breakfast menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Room-Service-Breakfast-Menu.pdf

It is my experience that the Lido is open 24/7 for free coffee (regular and decaf), quite a number of teas, ice tea, lemonade, and milk in insulated pitchers at the Lido Restaurant Beverage Station.

I have reviewed my very large collection of MDR and Lido Restaurant lunch/dinner/late snack menus and none mention beverages.

Lido breakfast juices are available at the Dessert Stations.

• Like 1

Perhaps on some ships that's true (Vista and Signature, primarily). But as a universal statement it is totally incorrect.

As always you are right on the money!

One can't generalize on the entire fleet when they haven't been on all of the classes of ships.

Thanks for the breakfast food links! :) Why do most cruise ships have the best juices at breakfast?:confused: We do not have a "cooler fridge" and won't rent one. That is why we need/want plenty of ice...........also need it for medical reasons. Thanks for all your answers.

Thanks for the breakfast food links! :) Why do most cruise ships have the best juices at breakfast?:confused: We do not have a "cooler fridge" and won't rent one. That is why we need/want plenty of ice...........also need it for medical reasons. Thanks for all your answers.

Glad my links could help.

Are you sure that your stateroom does not have a mini-fridge?

You can always bring a collapsible, insulated, ice container and have your Room Steward fill it several times a day.

We usually request a champagne bucket and have it filled in the AM, just before the Room Steward break at 2:00, and then at evening turn down.

Here is a link to all of the Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

I think you can ask your waiter in the MDR, someone in the Lido Restaurant, or even Room Service for juice and you will probably be successful.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

We are booked for the 17 day Hawaii cruise in January. We love the formal nights but in looking through the documentation I can't figure out how many to prepare for. Can someone give me an idea of how many formal nights there will be on a 17 day cruise?