? Dockyard transportation status

MrJulius

Can anyone just back from the Dockyard (mid August) comment on the bus/shuttle service to HSB?

It seemed to be a mess two weeks ago with the new shuttle service and some reporting that they weren't picked up at the Dockyard by the #7 bus (locals only) during that time.

Unusually long lines/queues?

Just trying to plan my escape from the Dockyard.

Thanks,

MrJulius

I'm following this! We leave on Sunday for Bermuda! We are getting the 3 day transportation pass and was planning on taking the #7 from dockyard because the shuttle fee is too expensive for our family (it would almost equal our 3 day pass).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm following this! We leave on Sunday for Bermuda! We are getting the 3 day transportation pass and was planning on taking the #7 from dockyard because the shuttle fee is too expensive for our family (it would almost equal our 3 day pass).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We used tokens ( I got 10 for $40 ) our last time in Bermuda .

They worked out way cheaper for us and I still have a few left for next time .

We used tokens ( I got 10 for $40 ) our last time in Bermuda .

They worked out way cheaper for us and I still have a few left for next time .

we have a family of 5 (I think our youngest is free). I would rather stick with my transportation pass and have unlimited "rides" and not have to worry about tokens etc.

we have a family of 5 (I think our youngest is free). I would rather stick with my transportation pass and have unlimited "rides" and not have to worry about tokens etc.

I agree.

If Biker had 10 tokens and there were two of them, that's 5 tokens apiece. One token each way only makes for 2 1/2 trips somewhere.

Just in case you didn't know, children under 5 are free and ages 5-16 are half price.

I agree.

If Biker had 10 tokens and there were two of them, that's 5 tokens apiece. One token each way only makes for 2 1/2 trips somewhere.

Just in case you didn't know, children under 5 are free and ages 5-16 are half price.

Our youngest just turned 5, the other two are 8 and 12.

Just back on Sunday.

On Wednesday, we had a private excursion and on Friday took the ferry to Hamilton, so I can only comment on Thursday.

We left the ship around 10:30am. We bought bus tokens and walked over to the bus line. The line for the special bus was long. We estimated it would take us two to three buses to get on. We waited for 15 minutes without seeing a single bus.

So my family of 4 took a taxi. It cost us $8pp to Warwick Long Bay, same as the shuttle rate.

Just back on Sunday.

On Wednesday, we had a private excursion and on Friday took the ferry to Hamilton, so I can only comment on Thursday.

We left the ship around 10:30am. We bought bus tokens and walked over to the bus line. The line for the special bus was long. We estimated it would take us two to three buses to get on. We waited for 15 minutes without seeing a single bus.

So my family of 4 took a taxi. It cost us $8pp to Warwick Long Bay, same as the shuttle rate.

are you referring to the "special bus" as the new shuttle that goes to HSB or the #7 non-stop to HSB?

# 7 is NOT non stop .

I've read about a "express bus that goes directly to Horseshoe Bay non stop...they are marked "special" and the fare is the same as the #7 bus. I mis-spoke...sorry.

So I guess I'm trying to find out if the "special" bus she is talking about is the "new shuttle", the #7 or the "express special bus"

I've read about a "express bus that goes directly to Horseshoe Bay non stop...they are marked "special" and the fare is the same as the #7 bus. I mis-spoke...sorry.

So I guess I'm trying to find out if the "special" bus she is talking about is the "new shuttle", the #7 or the "express special bus"

According to all the official announcements (including both from the government and Wedco, which sponsored the new service, and the union, which opposes it), the new mini bus shuttle service replaced the former express "special" buses. If both the government and union say the special buses have been eliminated we can be confident it's true because they never agree on anything.

I have the feeling that the poster may not have realized this. Note where they say "We waited for 15 minutes without seeing a single bus. " They didn't see a single bus because there are no "special" buses any longer.

Edited by njhorseman

There were two lines for buses at the stop to the right across the street from the Craft Market. One line (short) was for the regular service to Hamilton. The long line was for the buses going to the beaches. I asked a supervisor which line I should wait in for WLB and was told the long one. While I did not see any of these buses while waiting, I saw at least two marked "Special" on the road. I read here that they had gone away, but that did not appear to be the case.

The shuttles were vans. They were located at a different spot in the Dockyard before exiting the piers. The trailer between Heritage and Kings Wharf sold tickets for both modes of transportation.

Edited by cyntil8ing

There were two lines for buses at the stop to the right across the street from the Craft Market. One line (short) was for the regular service to Hamilton. The long line was for the buses going to the beaches. I asked a supervisor which line I should wait in for WLB and was told the long one. While I did not see any of these buses while waiting, I saw at least two marked "Special" on the road. I read here that they had gone away, but that did not appear to be the case.

The shuttles were vans. They were located at a different spot in the Dockyard before exiting the piers. The trailer between Heritage and Kings Wharf sold tickets for both modes of transportation.

I don't know what to say at this point. Could they have decided to add back a couple of "specials" to supplement the mini bus shuttles? Yes. But the buses you saw also could have been running cruise line-sponsored excursions to the beach or elsewhere, and not available to the public.

I just wish they'd do a better job of communicating what they're doing so visitors can make decisions based on full knowledge of the options.

My impression is that the government of Bermuda is again making it difficult for tourists to easily and hassle-free visit their island. Am I wrong?

You're right...and it's really disturbing because these problems didn't exist in years past. They've encouraged huge ships to dock in Bermuda and then don't have the transportation facilities to handle the passenger load. It's a shame.

.....to keep people in the Dock Yard longer to hopefully raise revenue?

:confused:

wasiii

wasiii,

Can you please report back here after your upcoming BA cruise, if of course, you are planning on using the buses and/or shuttles?

We would like to go again next year but are confused over this recent change.

Thanks in advance. Have a great trip!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

wasiii,

Can you please report back here after your upcoming BA cruise, if of course, you are planning on using the buses and/or shuttles?

We would like to go again next year but are confused over this recent change.

Thanks in advance. Have a great trip!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I will meatball. Hopefully others will keep us apprised of the situation and I will report back also.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

10 new buses to prevent 'nightmare' for tourists

Simon Jones, Senior Reporter

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 5:20 AM

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 9: A 10-strong fleet of new buses will arrive in Bermuda this year to bolster the island’s aging public transport system.

The vehicles, which were ordered under the previous Government, are expected to be on the roads by the middle of the year.

And Tourism and Transport Minister, Shawn Crockwell, hopes the move will help prevent the “transport nightmare” that plagued Dockyard last year.

Mr Crockwell told the Bermuda Sun that plans were being drawn up to deal with the inaugural trip of the super cruise liner, Norwegian Breakaway, and her 4,000 passengers.

And he revealed that “innovative ways of supplementing the ferry service” were also being looked at to better manage the influx of cruise visitors around the island later this year. He said: “The transport system we have is sufficient but there is still plenty of room for improvements. We need to get as many buses roadworthy and offer a service that locals and tourists deserve.

“The maintenance of our bus and ferry fleet has to be a priority.

“We have to have the necessary parts and expertise on island to deal with problems and issues that arise.

“And we also plan to bring in another 10 new buses, which should be coming on line in the middle of the year.”

The Norwegian Cruise Lines’ Breakaway is scheduled to make its first of 22 trips from Bermuda to New York in May.

And the new Transport Minister admitted there were a number of issues that needed to be ironed out before then.

He told the Sun: “We have to make sure the wharfs at Dockyard are repaired as well as ensure the transport nightmare we saw last year is not repeated.

“We have a close eye on what progress is being made with the wharves, and we are determined to be ready for the start of the cruise ship season.

“Everyone involved with the infrastructure around Dockyard from WEDCO, to Marine and Ports and Transport, needs to understand their role and what is expected of them. That way we can avoid the transport chaos we have seen up there in the past.”

Mr Crockwell added: “We also need to look at making Dockyard an even more attractive destination for tourists.

“There is a mindset from some passengers to get out of Dockyard as soon as they arrive and we need to counter that.

“If we can keep people in Dockyard there is not going to be such a rush and pressure on the transport system to get everyone to Horseshoe or Hamilton as soon as they get off the ship. And this obviously helps local business up there too.”

Related Articles

Exclusive: Buses cancelled due to driver shortage

New buses to hit the road

Free course to help ‘Bermudian ambassadors’

Edited by biker@sea

We're also sailing on Sunday. We plan to use to public transportation as well. I think we'll postpone Horseshoe Beach until later in the week, or maybe head there in the afternoon. How late do the busses run back to dockyards?

.....to keep people in the Dock Yard longer to hopefully raise revenue?

:confused:

wasiii

From Jan 2013

Mr Crockwell added: “We also need to look at making Dockyard an even more attractive destination for tourists.

“There is a mindset from some passengers to get out of Dockyard as soon as they arrive and we need to counter that.

“If we can keep people in Dockyard there is not going to be such a rush and pressure on the transport system to get everyone to Horseshoe or Hamilton as soon as they get off the ship. And this obviously helps local business up there too.”

Edited by biker@sea