What percentage of passengers triggers additional languages by crew?

dheianevans

Was on the July 5th Rotterdam sailing and it was the first cruise where I heard announcements, cruise director jokes, etc in two languages (English and Dutch). Dutch menus and daily planners were also displayed. There was also a Dutch TV channel being broadcast.

Even the library was mostly Dutch books and magazines. Just curious what percentage of passengers would have triggered this? Obviously not complaining about this (why would I?) but I just found it interesting given that every other cruise I've been on has been English-only in terms of public announcements.

There was even a Dutch tour company with a table set up near the future cruises desk, so I'm beginning to think perhaps the 5th sailing was a Dutch charter that didn't fully sell out. Crew even wore Dutch t-shirts and face paint (flag) when the Dutch World cup games were shown throughout the ship.

Any ideas?

Edited by dheianevans

According to Astrid who was our guide on the ship tour of NA the Rotterdam which sails exclusively from Rotterdam has about 90% Dutch-speaking passengers and is the only ship which is bi-lingual.

//A

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

One can request non-English reading materials on any cruise. My mother is from Holland (thus our bias towards Holland America!) and so upon our request she was provided with Dutch versions of the daily newspaper and dining room menus.

igraf

Even the library was mostly Dutch books and magazines. Just curious what percentage of passengers would have triggered this? Obviously not complaining about this (why would I?) but I just found it interesting given that every other cruise I've been on has been English-only in terms of public announcements.

If there was a Dutch hospitality table set up there was a large group of Dutch guests. Large groups can request all sorts of specific amenities and for the correct 'price' they will usually get most reasonable requests met.

HAL requires a ship be a full charter if the total passenger count in the group will go over a certain percentage. What you likely encountered is a very large group that just squeaked under the requirement for full charter. It can be most unpleasant when that happens as often some public areas are reserved for that group. I have heard of entire dinner seatings being restricted to members of the group and other inconveniences. ALL cruise lines keep very quiet about when they have a large group on a given sailing and I think that most unfair. They will sometimes not respond even if directly asked. Other guests are sometimes denied portions of their cruise because the large group takes precedence and the others sometimes feel 'in the way'.

It is absolutely no judgment about what the group is comprised of..... it is just the plain numbers that inconvenience non-group member.

Edited by sail7seas

According to Astrid who was our guide on the ship tour of NA the Rotterdam which sails exclusively from Rotterdam has about 90% Dutch-speaking passengers and is the only ship which is bi-lingual.

//A

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

If this is normal for this ship are the menus different? ( more geared to traditional Dutch foods?

If this is normal for this ship are the menus different? ( more geared to traditional Dutch foods?

Rotterdam has its (sailing) homeport Rotterdam in Holland, so indeed has a large percentage of its guests from Holland. Rotterdam is the only ship with special touches to cater to Dutch guests, you will find several items that you would not normally find on other ships;

1. Several typical Dutch items at breakfast in the Lido

2. Dutch snacks at the snack counter at the Lido mid pool

3. Dutch menus (are also on request on other ships)

4. Librije diner in the Pinnacle, once every sailing (shares this unique diner with Eurodam)

5. Dutch version of “On Location” and of the Newspaper (also available on other ships on request)

6. Dutch entertainers and speakers on selected sailings

7. Bi-lingual in Dutch and English by the CD and other staff, for all announcements over the ship and also in the theatre.

The normal menu in the MDR is not different from other ships, since many international dishes and food items are regular on all Holland America ships, depending on the area the ship sails in at that particular time.

Since the Rotterdam has its homeport in Holland, guests are mainly from Holland and the two main players in the Dutch Cruise market are responsible for the majority of the guests on board, they regularly have Dutch tour operator desks or visiting hours on board, during most of the cruises.

Most of the sailings from Rotterdam, have presentations separately in the Wajang Theatre and the Showroom at sea in Dutch and before or after that in English, for presentations like explaining the “On-Location” for that cruise, disembarkation process and also the introduction on board for guests who are new to cruising and or Holland America Line. They will be given by the responsible Travel Agent, that has guests on board, as said, normally the two big players, of which at least one of them will have the separate presentations.

You will not have to be worried that other areas will be taken up for special reasons or closed off, not any more than on other ships.

Edited by Alphen

If there was a Dutch hospitality table set up there was a large group of Dutch guests. Large groups can request all sorts of specific amenities and for the correct 'price' they will usually get most reasonable requests met.

HAL requires a ship be a full charter if the total passenger count in the group will go over a certain percentage. What you likely encountered is a very large group that just squeaked under the requirement for full charter. It can be most unpleasant when that happens as often some public areas are reserved for that group. I have heard of entire dinner seatings being restricted to members of the group and other inconveniences. ALL cruise lines keep very quiet about when they have a large group on a given sailing and I think that most unfair. They will sometimes not respond even if directly asked. Other guests are sometimes denied portions of their cruise because the large group takes precedence and the others sometimes feel 'in the way'.

It is absolutely no judgment about what the group is comprised of..... it is just the plain numbers that inconvenience non-group member.

Perhaps it's not an official "group" or charter but simply a large number of individual Dutch cruisers taking advantage of a cruise from home waters? Just as Americans often outnumber other nationalities in the Caribbean? That's the way I interpreted OPs query.

Perhaps it's not an official "group" or charter but simply a large number of individual Dutch cruisers taking advantage of a cruise from home waters? Just as Americans often outnumber other nationalities in the Caribbean? That's the way I interpreted OPs query.

Shrug......... perhaps so.

Poster Alphen is right! It's because there a so many Dutch people on board, departing from Rotterdam. I was on the Rotterdam last August to the North Cape and it was also like the OP said. But no worries, we won't take over HAL.........:p

Poster Alphen is right! It's because there a so many Dutch people on board, departing from Rotterdam. I was on the Rotterdam last August to the North Cape and it was also like the OP said. But no worries, we won't take over HAL.........:p

Might be a good thing if you did!

From my experience this is exactly the case. The "population" onboard was a majority Dutch, but they were NOT part of an organized group. There were two hospitality tables set up, but nothing more than I've seen on other cruises.