Oriana Dilemma.

pkpon

I don't like the ship for several reasons, but I think you should experience the Oriana and decide for yourself what you think of her. You may love the ship, she's just not for me.

I have, a number of times, that's why I was interested to know what it is you don't like. I like her a lot but do prefer Aurora her sister ship.

• 4 months later...

Got back from the cruise yesterday.

Had a really good time. Food in the restaurant and the service were beyond my expectations. Absolutely terrific. My cabin steward and the bar staff especially in the Crow's Nest went the extra mile with their service. Always with a smile.

The ship is dated as she is twenty years old. But she has a very comfortable feel. Rather like a well worn slipper. To be honest I do think the Cunard ships are more luxurious.

I definitely don't think the ship is run down. The only thing I really spotted was a small bit of rust on the edge of the bathroom door. No plumbing problems in the cabin but there were a few buckets outside one day catching water dripping from the ceiling.

The only bad spot on the ship is 'The Conservatory'. It was always hard to find somewhere to sit even at off peak times. The food was terrible and it was like eating in a transport café. Definitely needs an upgrade at her next refit.

The lunch in the Ocean Grill was superb. At £9.95 it was a bargain.

The weather was very rough in the Bay Of Biscay both ways but the ship handled it well.

Our cruise last October was wonderful. There were one or two problems with the plumbing, but they were sorted quickly. She's a lovely ship with a beautiful teak prom deck and loads of space. Looking forward to being back on her next September.

On the Xmas cruise We had a leak, toilet plumbing problems, no hot water one night, no water at all for a few hours another night but it hasn't put us off. At the time I said never again just because if the plumbing issues but the right itinerary and price has persuaded us to sail again on Oriana. A fabulous ship with the best public rooms of all the fleet. Just please P & O sort the plumbing problems out before we board again in June.

Sue

Had a really good time. Food in the restaurant and the service were beyond my expectations. Absolutely terrific.

The only bad spot on the ship is 'The Conservatory'. It was always hard to find somewhere to sit even at off peak times. The food was terrible and it was like eating in a transport café. Definitely needs an upgrade at her next refit.

The lunch in the Ocean Grill was superb. At £9.95 it was a bargain.

The weather was very rough in the Bay Of Biscay both ways but the ship handled it well.

Presumably some people liked the Conservatory, or it wouldn't have been so full. ;)

I remember once crossing the Bay of Biscay on the Canberra, in a force 10; when we reached Southampton next morning, the (then new) Oriana was just poking its nose out of harbour having not 'dared' venture out.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Well we really like Oriana and the friendly atmosphere we've always found onboard. As Sue said great public rooms and a ballroom you can actually dance in rather than an Atrium with people walking across the middle of the floor.

A comfortable cinema, those lovely tiered decks at the stern and room to play tennis, cricket and now the table tennis table is back. :D

Only problem we've encountered was when a part of the ceiling came down in Al Fresco's, landing on our friend's head and giving her concussion.

Despite that we're really looking forward to our 32 nights onboard in April and have decided against wearing my motorbike helmet all cruise. :eek:

Thanks so much for coming back and telling us how you got on pkpon. Glad you had a lovely time despite the Conservatory. We also avoided the Conservatory!

I must say, I found it easier to get a seat in Azura's buffet! :eek:

Presumably some people liked the Conservatory, or it wouldn't have been so full. ;)

I remember once crossing the Bay of Biscay on the Canberra, in a force 10; when we reached Southampton next morning, the (then new) Oriana was just poking its nose out of harbour having not 'dared' venture out.

Ha ha, we were on Oriana that time. The reason we were still in port was that we couldn't get of the dock using our thrusters due to the strong southerly wind (the idea was that new ships wouldn't require tugs & would therefore save £). We were travelling with our two young children and left them in bed as we went down for breakfast. The steward had left orange juice & biscuits on the chest of drawers for when our children woke up. As we passed Canberra and went round the Brambles turns, Oriana rolled sufficiently to cause the top drawer of the chest to slide open & the Orange juice glass to tip up and pour into the draw ( my socks & underwear.) as it was a 4 night cruise an unscheduled trip to the laundry was required! Other than that Oriana was pretty good in the rough weather. CNberra did look magnificent as we passed close by.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha! Orange socks! Trendsetter

We've just booked onto Oriana for a couple of weeks time, and very excited. Oceana was our first cruise in April last year, then we did QM2 in August

There were lots of buckets collecting water in the cabin areas in QM2. It's a universal issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the same cruise

The Bay of Biscay was like a mill pond on the way out and the whole passage to La Corunna was very calm

We encountered slight movement as we came back up the coast of Portugal and Spain but at no time were the paper bags deployed so obviously the Captain thought it was O.K. and it was. We did have a 7-8 wind but it was right on the bow and little problem if you stayed inside.

As soon as we made the turn to cross the Bay of Biscay things flattened out and the crossing was uneventful.

If you think this was "very rough" it's as well you weren't on Adonia a couple of years back when we crossed in a Force 12.