Breakfast in Oasis MDR

Hypo

I have read several, recent Cruise Compass' and they all say that breakfast in the MDR is an "Express Buffet". Do they still serve sit-down, order from a menu breakfast in the MDR?

I have read several, recent Cruise Compass' and they all say that breakfast in the MDR is an "Express Buffet". Do they still serve sit-down, order from a menu breakfast in the MDR?

It is BOTH- there is a somewhat smaller buffet with about 20-25 items hot & cold, AND you can also order from the sit- down menu...we do this a lot because my fav is Eggs Benedict, and you can only get that in the MDR- not in the Windjammer..before the EB come, we go to the buffet & get maybe some pancakes or eggs..it's IMO, a better option than the sometimes thousands of people in the WJ, and quieter...

Big Al

The Breakfast in the MDR is always a combo of a sit down and buffet. They always have a buffet with fruits, yogurts, cereals, and hot items such as eggs, sausage and waffles. However, you can also order off the main menu! This food is usually better...I recommend the French toast!! It is amazing!! :) have fun on your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Yes..the menus are the same across the fleet...and since breakfast foods are a bit more limited than say, dinner foods, the menu is the same daily.....all manner of eggs, cereals (hot and cold) fruits, yogurts, meats, breads, pastries, pancakes, french toast, etc......you can get pretty much any breakfast food you want.

How long does it typically take for to sit down, order and get food in the MDR for breakfast?

On my first cruise my wife and I went to MDR for lunch on day, got sat at a large table, waited for 15 minutes, never got waited on (I think they were waiting for the table to fill up) so we gave up and when to WJ. Never gone back to MDR for breakfast or lunch in 5 cruises.

How long does it typically take for to sit down, order and get food in the MDR for breakfast? ...

On Navigator last week, around 15-20 minutes to get food after we were seated. Sometimes 10 minutes.

Edited by clarea

We took a break from RCI and did Oasis in Jan. and found this EB to be quiet off putting. We went to the dining room since I like to be served when on a cruise. I was told to go help myself. I wonder if I could help myself to the tips also since I got less service. Also, they close the main dining room for all lunches if in port. I like to stay on the ship sometimes to enjoy the ship if I have been to certain ports many times. On these days, only the buffet is open. So that is 2/3 of the meals that I get no service for. Does anyone see this as a bee in your bonnet, so to speak???

• 2 months later...
We took a break from RCI and did Oasis in Jan. and found this EB to be quiet off putting. We went to the dining room since I like to be served when on a cruise. I was told to go help myself. I wonder if I could help myself to the tips also since I got less service. Also, they close the main dining room for all lunches if in port. I like to stay on the ship sometimes to enjoy the ship if I have been to certain ports many times. On these days, only the buffet is open. So that is 2/3 of the meals that I get no service for. Does anyone see this as a bee in your bonnet, so to speak???

Oasis is rci. By the way, you started cruising rci many years ago and you just now found this out:rolleyes:. You just described how the mdr has been working for ever, decades.

When you enter the mdr late or near closing, for breakfast/lunch, the self serve may be all they are offering at that time, but of course you would know that

Edited by setsail

How has this been working with the new drydocked ship? Same process?

Do they serve drinks, if I want to have my morning Diet coke?

Breakfast is served in American Icon on deck 3 and that will continue after they implement Dynamic Dining.

They should be able to get you a coke if necessary.

The only difference I noticed was that on some days when it was busy they were seating some buffet only tables, while other tables were full table service. They were asking clearly, but of course not everyone was in full understanding and it was not always working so well.

They were trying to avoid the situation where some are seated at shared tables with heaping buffet plates while others were still waiting to order.

They do try to hold service to a certain level, with juice and beverage order taken, Danish served and then the waiter would take the formal order.

While I am in the group that orders only my egg dish or hot dish from the waiter and then 'compliments' the breakfast at the buffet with Bircher muesli or fruit, others adhere to traditional dining ordering everything from the waiter, while a certain growing group do buffet only.

Main dining rooms have traditionally been closed while in port across the cruise industry. Before they had so many specialty restaurants ships often used the 'closed' dining rooms to entertain visitors to the ship or groups.

The room service and dining room waiters are often on rotation through the windjammer on port days. The base gratuities go into the pool that is shared among all on various rotations.