Who can cancel cruise

CptJackSparrow

I must be the only person on team nanny here, you offer someone an excellent vacation then want to take it away? Totally rude. How would you feel if someone did that to you?!

You aren't the only one seeing the other side. I was wondering if the nanny had to change plans to accompany the family, and did she have any extra expenses. Then there is the sister. She may have had non refundable airline tickets, vacation time requested that couldn't be canceled. Did she pay someone in advance to take care of her house while away? There are two sides of every story. We like to think our side is justified, but it's a good idea to really think this through from all sides.

This was not a vacation for either the nanny or her sister, whom I assume understood that this trip was part of her sister's job. As a previous poster stated, no different than the cancellation of a business trip. Perhaps one in which you've invited a partner to accompany you. Surely, you wouldn't expect your employer to pay for your hotel and meals if the purpose of the trip, meeting for example, had been cancelled ?

I booked two staterooms aboard the Regal thru a travel agent. One for my family and the other for a nanny we hired to take care of the kids. She was allowed to bring a guest - she chose her sister. It turns out my wife's mother is dealing with late stage cancer so we want to be near her and cancel the cruise. We are currently in the 20% penalty phase. When trying to cancel both rooms, I'm informed by my travel agent that I can only cancel one room. She said the nanny needs to cancel the cruise in writing. I paid for the room!!! The nanny is being a $&) (@$& and stated her and her sister would still like to go!!! I'm beyond livid. I feel I have the right to cancel what I paid for. Do I have recourse? Cruise line won't listen since I booked thru a travel agent. I may just call my credit card company next. Any ideas?

It IS NOT TRUE that only the person whose name is on the cabin can cancel the cruise. Perhaps it is if you use a TA but I can tell you with certainty that if you booked the cabins directly with Princess with your card, then you can cancel either of them.

I know this to be true because I am in the insurance claim stage of doing so with a cabin we booked for a nephew (young adult) who has been fighting cancer at St Jude's for over two years and had completed treatment and in the 'monitor' phase. Complications have recently lead to multiple procedures and with our sail date inside of two weeks it was clear he couldn't go. I personally called Princess and cancelled his cabin which also included his best friend. After receiving a partial credit to my c card I'm not working to get as much insurance covered portion back but it's not yet resolved so I do not yet know how that portion will end.

Your issue may be with how the TA booked the cabin or simply that when booking directly with Princess they somehow note that you are laying for both. Perhaps this is one example of how a using TA can complicate things.

Good luck with your effort.

There are two sides of every story.
Sure. It is legitimate for the employee to feel entitled to some partial compensation in this situation. But what the nanny was asking for was way beyond partial compensation. This reinforces the point made again and again already: All parties should have been bound by a contract laying out everyone's rights and responsibilities in the case of a cancellation.

As for airfare and other expenses that the nanny and her sister may have paid out of their own pockets, knowing that their travel was contingent on someone else's travel, this reinforces the other point made again and again here: Everyone should have insurance!

I must be the only person on team nanny here, you offer someone an excellent vacation then want to take it away? Totally rude. How would you feel if someone did that to you?!
I disagree. The nanny was to work on the cruise. While the conditions onboard are vacation-like, the nanny was going along to take care of the child/children. That's their job and what a nanny does.
It IS NOT TRUE that only the person whose name is on the cabin can cancel the cruise. Perhaps it is if you use a TA but I can tell you with certainty that if you booked the cabins directly with Princess with your card, then you can cancel either of them.

I know this to be true because I am in the insurance claim stage of doing so with a cabin we booked for a nephew (young adult) who has been fighting cancer at St Jude's for over two years and had completed treatment and in the 'monitor' phase. Complications have recently lead to multiple procedures and with our sail date inside of two weeks it was clear he couldn't go. I personally called Princess and cancelled his cabin which also included his best friend.

Apples and oranges. I'm sorry about your nephew and hope he recovers quickly. The differences are that your nephew is a family member. The nanny isn't. Your nephew didn't refuse to cancel. You had his permission and he isn't fighting you. Edited by Pam in CA

I disagree. The nanny was to work on the cruise. While the conditions onboard are vacation-like, the nanny was going along to take care of the child/children. That's their job and what a nanny does.

Apples and oranges. I'm sorry about your nephew and hope he recovers quickly. The differences are that your nephew is a family member. The nanny isn't. Your nephew didn't refuse to cancel. You had his permission and he isn't fighting you.

Perhaps but his best friend is not family and had his own booking, under his name and captains circle number. Also relative or not my nephew is now an adult by any measure. Neither were required to approve the cancellation with Princess.

The fact remains that one can indeed cancel reservations other than those in your own name, contrary to what has been stated as fact here.

So glad that it all worked out with the nanny and she saw the "light".

Chalk this up to one of the many life's challenges that we learn from.

I hope you MIL improves and that you will be able to cruise with your family.

I think you will do it differently when hiring a nanny for the trip.:)

I know I just learned something myself. :D

There are two ways to book a cabin, on behalf of, and for. In one case, you are booking and assuming liability for that cabin (i.e. you signed the contract on behalf of that person), in the other, the cabins were booked separately under different names.

If you booked the cabin for your Nephew and the TA entered it under your name as a second cabin with him listed as passenger, that's one way). If the TA booked the nanny's cabin as a separate booking (with a different booking number) its a different kettle of fish... Most TAs (and Princess reps) will do it the second way if the other pax is not a family member, which is why this is a good case study of why to specify...

I know this to be true because I am in the insurance claim stage of doing so with a cabin we booked for a nephew (young adult) who has been fighting cancer at St Jude's for over two years and had completed treatment and in the 'monitor' phase. Complications have recently lead to multiple procedures and with our sail date inside of two weeks it was clear he couldn't go. I personally called Princess and cancelled his cabin which also included his best friend. After receiving a partial credit to my c card I'm not working to get as much insurance covered portion back but it's not yet resolved so I do not yet know how that portion will end.

Your issue may be with how the TA booked the cabin or simply that when booking directly with Princess they somehow note that you are laying for both. Perhaps this is one example of how a using TA can complicate things.

Good luck with your effort.

There are two ways to book a cabin, on behalf of, and for. In one case, you are booking and assuming liability for that cabin (i.e. you signed the contract on behalf of that person), in the other, the cabins were booked separately under different names.

If you booked the cabin for your Nephew and the TA entered it under your name as a second cabin with him listed as passenger, that's one way). If the TA booked the nanny's cabin as a separate booking (with a different booking number) its a different kettle of fish... Most TAs (and Princess reps) will do it the second way if the other pax is not a family member, which is why this is a good case study of why to specify...

My DW and I booked months ago. The nephew and friend booked in July when it appeared he would be able to travel. There were two different booking numbers and reservations made in their names.

Not that any of this matters now to the OP as they have apparently resolved their issue. My effort now is to make sure that anyone reading this later knows one can cancel a reservation you made for someone else in some cases. I can only speculate that part of the complication with the OP's case was the TA.

It's not the TA per se so much as how the TA did it. Even with separate bookings, you should have been listed as the responsible/legal party in the booking system to be able to cancel (as noted, its always possible the Princess rep did not follow procedure - and in your case I would be fine with that).

Both of us want the same takeaway, if you think this might be an issue, be specific with your TA/Princess how you want the bookings set up to make sure you remain in control. If your name is not attached to the booking (NOT just your credit card), you may not be able to cancel - at least not easily.

My DW and I booked months ago. The nephew and friend booked in July when it appeared he would be able to travel. There were two different booking numbers and reservations made in their names.

Not that any of this matters now to the OP as they have apparently resolved their issue. My effort now is to make sure that anyone reading this later knows one can cancel a reservation you made for someone else in some cases. I can only speculate that part of the complication with the OP's case was the TA.