Southampton to Glasgow

juicyjuju

Hi, looking for some advice on flights. I am looking to book a flight from Southampton to Glasgow after a TA on Flybe, and I see there are two flights a day, one at 9am and one at 1pm. For those of you who fly to Glasgow, are you able to make the 9am flight if you self disembark or do you take the later one?

Hi, looking for some advice on flights. I am looking to book a flight from Southampton to Glasgow after a TA on Flybe, and I see there are two flights a day, one at 9am and one at 1pm. For those of you who fly to Glasgow, are you able to make the 9am flight if you self disembark or do you take the later one?

We decided that it was a bit too risky to take the early flight, so we took the 1pm one. Flybe has a lounge at the airport that you can pay to use so we decided to do that.

9am is way too tight, normally self disembarkation starts at 7.15 to 7.30 which means that you will get to the airport after they close the check in. Take the later flight or consider using the train.

We use the coach company that Cunard recommend to travel to the North of England on our last trip people from Glasgow still on coach when we got off, I think a total of 450 miles, I would wait for the 1 00 clock flight. Stay on ship as long as you can, the wait at the airport, so much easier.:rolleyes:

p.s. I think you would have to change trains in Birmingham if you went by rail.

Edited by luckymal

We have used the coach service to and from Southampton (from Glasgow) for both Cunard and Princess cruises. It is a long journey but enough stops are made. we flew home once but the flight was around 4.00pm then. We didn't go straight to the airport but did get there about 3 hours before the flight. The airport is tiny with nothing to do. There is a restaurant and a bar and a Costa Coffee where we got something to eat. The rest of the time was spent watching planes arrive and leave. At least with the coach you feel you are getting somewhere!!

I don't fly so we make our own way down to Southampton by train which is very easy but for Glasgow would need a change, probably at Manchester. We use the Glasgow coach to get back to Scotland and the big advantage is that it is there waiting for you on the quayside when you disembark and the driver takes your luggage from you, never to be seen again till you reach your destination. BUT it is a long time (arrives Glasgow around 7:00 p.m.) so I would prefer to fly. I would NOT risk the early flight though. Usually we're back in Southampton in time for early self disembarkation, but on a few occasions our arrival has been delayed by fog, unavailability of a pilot etc.

Evening!

Depending upon your date of travel, you can get to Glasgow from Southampton on the train for as little as £55. Do some investigation here http://www.nationalrail.co.uk for further details.

If you do chose to fly, I'd ditch the idea of the earlier flight, even with self help disembarkation.

Regards,

Mr. H.

Over the past 14 years we have always used the plane to travel to and from Southampton from either Glasgow or Edinburgh and would recommend it over any other method of travel for this journey. However would never dream of thinking about such an early flight, I would never book one before noon for all the reasons previous posts have listed and more.

Don't know the times of all the Edinburgh flights but if Edinburgh would work for you there seems to be more flights to Edinburgh than there is to Glasgow.

Edited by goodsailors