airport transfers? travel insurance? ☆San Juan - RCI Jewel ☆

Cruise, air and hotel (extension) self-booked thru 3rd party suppliers.

We wanted best for budget and to utilize some reward points. Also heard Choice Air wasn't the best price. Also, we don't live near a hub so no direct flights.

We are leaving our home airport early in AM, connecting flight and arrival ETA midafternoon for 830p sailing. We couldn't find any red-eye flights TO SJ from our origin.

Soooo...

Should we purchase ground transfers? Benefits or hail a taxi?

Vacation insurance? Our air tix are non-refundable on advice of travel industry professional. I know i can purchase travel insurance thru anyone and will need to do my homework. Advice? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance. Also reviewing threads of recent Jewel cruisers shore excursions.

I would choose a taxi. Faster than waiting for a transfer bus/van to fill up, and not expensive. Probably around $25 to get to the port. Just go to the kiosk outside of baggage claim and they will ask your destination and give you a ticket with the price listed. Then you get in the taxi line.

Edited by clarea

Taxis are readily available at the airport just outside the baggage claim area. The lines move very fast and fairs are reasonable. I don't know the exact fair amount but about $20 plus $1 per bag to PanAm Pier. No worries as long as flight is on schedule.

Taxi is easy and avoids the endless wait for ship's busses to fill. I think we paid $25-$28 the last time we arrived in SJU. There is also a $1 per bag fee. It is still the most reliable and quickest way to your ship. When you disembark after your wonderful cruise there will be ample taxis to get you back to the airport.

Check out insuremytrip.com for your insurance needs. There is also an insurance forum here on Cruise Critic. You can include your airline tickets as well. If there is any question regarding your health needs (preexisting conditions) or those of your children and parents then the effective coverage generally is booked within two weeks, give or take, of the initial cruise booking (deposit.)

And, yes, cruise air is not always as advertised. If you ever have any questions about cruise air just check out the forum dedicated to these third party offerings.

We always get insurance when going for a week long cruise. Too many unknowns - it provides peace of mind. Usually it is rather inexpensive (under $150) and we just build it into the price of the trip. Now if I lived in a warm weather state, or cruised during the warmer months, I'm not sure I would. Being in Colorado the blizzards have been known to shut DIA down for 3+ days.

Hi

We live in Canada, but fly out of Buffalo NY. The winters have lots of unknowns ,and do to our cruise time of Feb . We always book both travel cancellation an health ins. We have needed it twice in the past. Do the weather and health. It is just peace of mind . And not that expensive should you need it. We usually book our air through our TA and tend to get Direct early flights if possible ,and fly in the day before. We have learned the hard way. Now get there enjoy the vacation and relax.:)

JEWEL TIME NEXT

kruise runner:cool:

Edited by kruise runner

Taxis are readily available at the airport just outside the baggage claim area. The lines move very fast and fairs are reasonable. I don't know the exact fair amount but about $20 plus $1 per bag to PanAm Pier. No worries as long as flight is on schedule.

Exactly. I can't think of any good reason to use anything but a taxi in SJU

Try insuremytrip.com for insurance shopping