Summit 8/24 to Bermuda (diverted) Semi-live

need2bespoiled

Whoops, for some reason I thought you were in a suite. I'm pretty impressed you fit 5 in a cabin! Wow! :eek:

I'm definitely glad we had no firm plans for this cruise, it would definitely have driven me nuts as well!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We had a corner family veranda. I'll have to post pictures of our room/balcony when i get them uploaded. We had plenty of room!! Two rooms plus the huge balcony - absolutely loved it and I'm so glad we have the same room again!

We didn't have any "firm" plans. We did have a boat rented for 6 hours on Thursday and had major beach plans for Wednesday. With sightseeing and checking out the shops on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had a corner family veranda. I'll have to post pictures of our room/balcony when i get them uploaded. We had plenty of room!! Two rooms plus the huge balcony - absolutely loved it and I'm so glad we have the same room again!

We didn't have any "firm" plans. We did have a boat rented for 6 hours on Thursday and had major beach plans for Wednesday. With sightseeing and checking out the shops on Friday.

Ahh! That makes sense. For some reason, I had in my mind 5 people in a standard sized balcony cabin wondering who was sleeping on the balcony :D

From what I've heard, those are great cabins! My partner visited one last November, but I was hosting during the crawl and didn't see it. Glad you snagged it again.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have the post cruise blues. My only solace was that I checked in for our cruise that is a mere 69 days away. Too long, but I must work!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We have to wait until January for our next---but it will be a two week cruise!

We loved Eclipse. It is definitely her fault that I am adicted to cruising and spending my retirement while I work :D

We have a nice long sailing on Millennium, B2B for both November sailings. Can't wait!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

We loved Eclipse. It is definitely her fault that I am adicted to cruising and spending my retirement while I work :D

We have a nice long sailing on Millennium, B2B for both November sailings. Can't wait!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

LoL we can never retire due to our cruising addiction! Talk about the ultimate buzz!

Just to play devil's advocate here I would be a little annoyed if I paid Bermuda prices to go on a cruise to Florida. You missed a port in Spain that was substituted for two other Spanish ports, apples and apples. Swapping out Bermuda for Florida is apples and oranges. But in the end vacation is vacation, especially when you have the premium package ;)

Hopefully the folks currently onboard get some of their exorbitant port fees back from missing Bermuda, which is pretty standard when cruise lines miss a port.

Lindsay - I am glad you brought this up. I was also on this ship, and was disappointed at the change in itinerary from Bermuda 3 days to Port Canaveral and Bahamas. While I understand that weather is out of their control and the terms and conditions stated they have the right to revise itineraries, my general expectation is that they sub it out with something similar, apples to apples. I do appreciate the $100 OBC and Celebrity choosing to stay at Bahamas until 10pm, at least that one day was worthwhile.

Lindsay - I am glad you brought this up. I was also on this ship, and was disappointed at the change in itinerary from Bermuda 3 days to Port Canaveral and Bahamas. While I understand that weather is out of their control and the terms and conditions stated they have the right to revise itineraries, my general expectation is that they sub it out with something similar, apples to apples. I do appreciate the $100 OBC and Celebrity choosing to stay at Bahamas until 10pm, at least that one day was worthwhile.

I don't disagree, but from NY/NJ for 7 days, where would they have been able to go and get us back, that is apples to apples? There was no way to get much further south, and make it back by cruise end.

The refunded the port charges, provided OBC and honored port discounts on the extra sea day. I think it was pretty fair, considering the port of Bermuda actually closed and I personally wouldn't have wanted to be there in the rain.

All that said, when I booked this cruise, I really didn't care where it went. I got a decent price for the cabin level I chose, we flew as air was cheap, and I don't have to pay for bags, but we could have driven too. It was just nice to be away. Sometimes we cruise for the ports, sometimes we don't, and I would be upset too if I was looking forward to a port and I missed it. I travel enough (250+ days a year) that I deal with this stuff regularly, for work and pleasure, but we always try to find some upside when it does (and it will) happen.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

And where exactly do you expect them to go instead of Bermuda?

And where exactly do you expect them to go instead of Bermuda?

Ya I don't get it either.

Basic Geography & Science would clearly show that when it comes to Atlantic Hurricanes the options are limited (and at times virtually non existence... Hence why in the past there have been cruises that were stranded in port... Either NJ or Bermuda... Neither being FUN options)

FACTS:

Bermuda sits off by itself in the Atlantic (and technically is not even part of The Caribbean because she is so far north).

And, Hurricanes move south to north... And often cut a wide swath that covers the span between Bermuda and the continent... And not uncommon to even take a turn inland towards The Carolina's or New England... Or onto Canada's Maritimes (Hurricanes Irene & Sandy come to mind)

Often there is literally no where to go at all to avoid a Hurricane

I would say these Cruisers were very fortunate that there was a wee window the ship could easily get thru in time to bypass Cristobal and head south to sunny & warm Destinations

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Yes, it was better than going to Canada, at least we had sun and warm weather. I didn't realize they honored the coupons on Friday (sea day) as a port day. I would have used my Persian Garden coupon that day. I was too tired after Atlantis on Thurs to run in there.

Just to play devil's advocate here I would be a little annoyed if I paid Bermuda prices to go on a cruise to Florida. You missed a port in Spain that was substituted for two other Spanish ports, apples and apples. Swapping out Bermuda for Florida is apples and oranges. But in the end vacation is vacation, especially when you have the premium package ;)

Hopefully the folks currently onboard get some of their exorbitant port fees back from missing Bermuda, which is pretty standard when cruise lines miss a port.

We were on this cruise. My opinion is that the real alternative was tree miserable rainy and windy days in Bermuda or two beautiful sunny days in Florida and Bahamas. Based on that, the apples were in Bermudas and the oranges in Florida. We enjoyed our two sunny shore days and quiet sailing and think that the captain took the best decision. We already booked Bermudas for next June!

Edited by vivi9909