Laguna Beach air conditioning

cherbobtt

Hardly anyone has air conditioning at the beach in California. I have lived on the coast of California nearly all my life, and never had a home with air conditioning. Even in August, it rarely is over the mid-70s at the beach. June is one of the coolest months in the year. The ocean water will be in the mid-60s if you are lucky...often it does not get up to 68F until Independence Day or so. Be prepared with a light jacket for the June gloom anyplace along the coast from late May until early July.

There are a couple of nice B&Bs in the Laguna Beach area. I can recommend the Casa Laguna, and Eiler's Inn, which is less elegant (and less expensive) but has a nice sun deck, a lovely courtyard with a fountain, easy access to the beach, and is only 5-6 blocks into the main part of town. They also have off-street parking. I usually stay here when I visit Laguna Beach.

The classic hotel to stay right on the beach is the Hotel Laguna. Easy to walk to everything (you want to avoid driving in Laguna, but will need a car to get there).

Yes, I have stayed there, but when I travel alone I prefer a B&B (easier to make friends). The hotel is older, and the rooms are not large, but nicely furnished (recently redecorated) and a great location.

Finding parking in Laguna Beach is nearly impossible, and the traffic in the summer can be bumper to bumper. It is best to leave your car at your hotel or B&B and walk. It really is a walking town, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the other posts. I worked in Laguna Beach for a couple of years and the summer traffic is a nightmare. The main area of town is very small, and easily walked.

If you are there at the right time try to visit the "Pagaent of the Masters". Even if you are not an art afficionado it is a unique experience. Locals "pose" in living versions of famous paintings. There is nothing like it.

Hotel Laguna is getting a bit old......They really don't allow much building to take place there so the B&B's are a great alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be frighten by the traffic comments, is is not that bad! Traffic is generally at the usual traffic times, but is no where near that of other cities that I have been in. Parking can be a pain but I have never not be able to find a spot. They are several all evening pay spots that have reasonable prices. Laguna does have a free shuttle that goes along Coast Hwy and Laguna Canyon Road.

The Hotel Laguna has a ocean front bar that is not to be missed, also check out the Montage Hotel and the park along the cliff in front of the hotel. There is a small public parking garage next to the park (just south of the Montage).

Laguna is well know art colony so it has extensive art stores. The Pagent of the Masters is also not to be missed, but get you tickets as soon as they are available as it sells out every year.

As for AC, I have also lived along the coast for years (about 15 minutes from down town Laguna) and don't and never will have AC...you just don't need it.

Archived