Tips for Inside Rooms?

Leuser1

Hi everyone!

We had an Air France voucher for a free ticket (got bumped off a flight last year) and my husband had some unexpected time off so we just booked a seven day cruise on Jade out of Venice in October. Exciting!!! To keep costs down (and save money for excursions and other fun stuff), we chose an inside room. I'm a little nervous because we've always sailed in a balcony. This is our first time on NCL too. My husband is looking forward to a nice, dark room to sleep in (we live in Norway and the long long summer days make it hard for him to sleep!) but I'm going to miss that ocean view. Does anyone have any tips on how they made their inside room special? Anything important to bring? Alarm clock? Flashlight?

Also where is a good place on Jade to enjoy a glass of wine and watch the ship sail out of ports in the evening?

Thanks a million,

Becky

Unexpected time....Free airline tickets...Sailing from Venice.

Oh, Becky, I think this will be a special trip no matter what cabin!

The people who seem happiest with inside cabins seem to be those who plan to use the cabin for sleep, shower and private time. Plan to get out and enjoy those wonderful ports. Plan to get out to dine, watch shows, dance, and listen to music.

In anything short of a suite, we do tend to pack a very faint night light (sometimes use it in the cabin, sometimes don't feel the need), a little push on light kept in the bathroom at night (flashlight would work, too), and an over the door shoe holder (to hold and organize small items). We both have small travel clocks at bedside, but many people use their phones as clocks and lights.

I'd check the view from Spinnaker lounge. that is my favorite on most ships. Hopefully it won't be too crowded.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Hi everyone!

We had an Air France voucher for a free ticket (got bumped off a flight last year) and my husband had some unexpected time off so we just booked a seven day cruise on Jade out of Venice in October. Exciting!!! To keep costs down (and save money for excursions and other fun stuff), we chose an inside room. I'm a little nervous because we've always sailed in a balcony. This is our first time on NCL too. My husband is looking forward to a nice, dark room to sleep in (we live in Norway and the long long summer days make it hard for him to sleep!) but I'm going to miss that ocean view. Does anyone have any tips on how they made their inside room special? Anything important to bring? Alarm clock? Flashlight?

Also where is a good place on Jade to enjoy a glass of wine and watch the ship sail out of ports in the evening?

Thanks a million,

Becky

That sounds fantastic! Like you, I'm sailing on the Jade from Venice in October in an inside and it's my first time on NCL. :o I also usually have a balcony cabin (this is my first inside cabin since my very first cruise more than 17 years ago) but since I'm going solo (another first for me), I couldn't justify the cost of a balcony for just me. I plan to bring a small night light--I have it plugged in in the bathroom at home and it has a faint glow which is perfect in the middle of the night. I like the PP's idea of a flashlight, too.

I've asked the same question about sail aways and Spinnaker and Great Outdoors have both come up as good options for a great view. Someone also suggested the Freestyle Sundeck. I was thinking about just biting the bullet and upgrading to a balcony, but I don't want to give myself a reason to stay in my cabin so am sticking to the inside and I figure by the end of the cruise, I'll know all the quiet spots on the ship!

I'm thinking I'll have the TV on one of the ship's cameras when I'm in the room except when sleeping. Personally, I don't want to wake up at sunrise when I'm on vacation! :o

Have a wonderful cruise!

:D

Leave the light on inside the closet .

It works good for a night light. :)

Do try to get a " sideways type " cabin if you can .

They feel larger as you enter the center of the cabin .

Agree. The sideways cabins make the room seem more spacious. We also separate the beds so that there is a walkway between them and no one runs into the desk when up in the night. That and the closet light and we were set for 28 days on the Star in an inside.

I recently posted some pictures of our sideways inside cabin 5081 on the Jewel. We really liked the layout compared to the traditional inside cabins. If you do a search for sideways cabin 5081 here on cc, the pics should come up.

other suggestions for sailaway-the atrium on deck 7 as can easily pass from one side of ship to other[the atrium double doors are locked presumably so no draughts but go few yards either side and automatic doors to outside]

otherwise splurge on a thermal spa pass and enjoy the views from deck 12 at very front of ship-had the place to myself most times!

Bring some sort of clock you can see if it's dark. It's very disorienting to wake up and be clueless as to the time of day. The one we bring also provides enough blue-ish light that we can easily see if we have to get up in the dark.

We often do balconies as well, but on our Med trip (several years ago) we too did the inside cabin thing no regrets. We did some pretty heavy sight-seeing at each port and it was nice to have a little snooze (in the dark) before dinner.

Looking back the ports are what I remember (and some nice dinners :)) - the cabin was a non-issue. You've been given some great advice and I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip!

We often do balconies as well, but on our Med trip (several years ago) we too did the inside cabin thing no regrets. We did some pretty heavy sight-seeing at each port and it was nice to have a little snooze (in the dark) before dinner.

Looking back the ports are what I remember (and some nice dinners :)) - the cabin was a non-issue. You've been given some great advice and I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip!

Thank you for sharing your experience! Like the OP, I'm concerned about going from my usual balcony to an inside, and this helped a lot! :o I'm hoping my experience is the same as I'd like to do more solo cruises and inside is so much more affordable. Thanks!

.....on two different B2B's, we booked oceanview rooms. All my other cruises have been balconies or higher. The one thing I noticed was that without a balcony, I spent more time doing other things on the ship.

I would think the same would hold true for an inside cabin.

:)

wasiii

Thanks everyone for your input. It's much appreciated ;) On past cruises, I did tend to spend a lot of time on the balcony so this is a good opportunity to get out and take in what the ship has to offer. Can't wait!!!

I personally love the inside cabins (and balcony cabins). The darkness allows me to sleep a lot longer and better than I normally would, which is great when on vacation. I suggest a night light (although I do not use one and prefer the darkness), I personally do not like leaving the light on in the closets or bathrooms, because that's just way to much brightness.

I love to watch the outside ship cameras when I'm just hanging in the room. You will not regret it. I am not one of those people who feel that they would rather not cruise at all if they could not get a balcony. We are going to Alaska next May on a inside cabin. As much as everyone says a balcony is the way to go, I'd rather save the money and do some better excursions then paying double the price for a balcony.

We nearly always sail inside cabins on our 15+ cruises. I used to bring a travel clock, but now I use my phone and tablet for alarms and flashlight. Free apps for that stuff are everywhere. Try a few out before departure.

In fact, I haven't touched my home alarm clock in years. The apps work just perfectly especially the ones that require little math tests before you can turn them off!

I use my Kindle Fire with a free alarm clock app. The app can dim the clock on the display so that it functions as a night light too. This way I know know what time it is in the completely dark inside room.

Plug in the Kindle so that it recharges overnight and it will be ready for use all day too.

The Great Outdoors is also a really nice area aft on 12.

There is a mini buffet, bar and plenty of table/chairs with some shade and it's all outdoors with a fantastic view

Agree. We took a winter cruise on the Jade and were still able to enjoy The Great Outdoors. In warmer weather, it would be great.