Using cash for inboard account

MrsPiglet

I'm booked on the Jewell out of Houston. I don't want to use a credit card on board... I want to prepay all. Tips, excursions, soda card and buy on board credit for spending money on the ship. Even with on board credit do I need to put cash down?

I'm booked on the Jewell out of Houston. I don't want to use a credit card on board... I want to prepay all. Tips, excursions, soda card and buy on board credit for spending money on the ship. Even with on board credit do I need to put cash down?

Yes you will. They don't know how much OBC you have until the second or third day of the cruise.

Yes...of course you do.

However, if you truely just don't want to use a credit card, that is not a big deal. Just let them get the credit card input at check in. This way you don't have to prepay a set amount. Then, the night before the end of the cruise, go to guest services and pay your bill with cash.

Since your account will then have a $0 balance, there is nothing to charge to your credit card, and you will have achieved your stated goal of not using a credit card onboard.

This is information found on line in the Know Before you Go.

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to Norwegian's special onboard credit program. Sign up on the first day of your cruise, by establishing your method of payment with a credit card (Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, Discover®, Diners Club®), travelers checks or cash. If you choose to settle your account with cash, a deposit will be required in advance. Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio. However, if you choose to pay with a debit card, please be advised that Norwegian obtains pre-authorization which some banks may hold for up to 30 days.

Using your debit or ATM card

Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.

Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.

After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.

To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.

Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures You can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess. US Traveler's Checks can be cashed onboard and are the same as cash.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed onboard.

Yes you will. They don't know how much OBC you have until the second or third day of the cruise.

I wonder why that is. My previous cruises on Royal and Carnival, I've purchased OBC in advance and it's showed up in the computer at check in and I just add more to it later as needed.

Not a big deal, just wondering more out of curiosity. I'd figure if they can pull up all the other info related to your cruise they should be able to pull up your OBC.

Yes...of course you do.

However, if you truly just don't want to use a credit card, that is not a big deal. Just let them get the credit card input at check in. This way you don't have to prepay a set amount. Then, the night before the end of the cruise, go to guest services and pay your bill with cash.

Since your account will then have a $0 balance, there is nothing to charge to your credit card, and you will have achieved your stated goal of not using a credit card onboard.

There you go adding a simple plan and logic.

The check in desk can see it. The on board system doesn't get updated until you sail. Then they know who is on board. The ship is still dealing with disembarking accounts.

That makes sense. I'm guessing it's due to whatever software program they are using as I've used my OBC within minutes of boarding on the other lines.

That makes sense. I'm guessing it's due to whatever software program they are using as I've used my OBC within minutes of boarding on the other lines.

Nobody said you couldn't use it right away, they said they wouldn't know the TOTAL until two-three days in.

FWIW...Since all bills are settled at the end of the cruise, you technically aren't going to use any OBC until the last day anyway.

I wonder why that is. My previous cruises on Royal and Carnival, I've purchased OBC in advance and it's showed up in the computer at check in and I just add more to it later as needed.

Not a big deal, just wondering more out of curiosity. I'd figure if they can pull up all the other info related to your cruise they should be able to pull up your OBC.

I was thinking the same thing. On my last Carnival cruise I had a ton of OBC before sailing (booked Early Saver rate which gives you OBC for price drops after final payment and our cruise rate dropped almost $2,000). When I checked in, they asked for my credit card and then noticed the OBC and said they didn't need anything. The OBC showed in my folio on the first day. I would have expected the same thing simply because I wouldn't have thought about it, so it's good to know it's different since my TA is giving me a small OBC. Now I won't expect it to be there immediately.

Yes...of course you do.

However, if you truely just don't want to use a credit card, that is not a big deal. Just let them get the credit card input at check in. This way you don't have to prepay a set amount. Then, the night before the end of the cruise, go to guest services and pay your bill with cash.

This is the way to go. I did this one time (though not planned)...I had a pretty good week at the craps table and went down on the last night and paid off the entire bill in cash. (a few excursions, crew tips, soda card, few beers, few things at the ole on board stores etc etc) Plus I still had a couple shekels left over for a tip for the bus driver to whisk me back to the place where the flying machines are. :D

This is information found on line in the Know Before you Go.

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to Norwegian's special onboard credit program. Sign up on the first day of your cruise, by establishing your method of payment with a credit card (Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, Discover®, Diners Club®), travelers checks or cash. If you choose to settle your account with cash, a deposit will be required in advance. Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio. However, if you choose to pay with a debit card, please be advised that Norwegian obtains pre-authorization which some banks may hold for up to 30 days.

Using your debit or ATM card

Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.

Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.

After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.

To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.

Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures You can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess. US Traveler's Checks can be cashed onboard and are the same as cash.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed onboard.

The amount listed is just a guideline. Our friend put down $152 when she checked in.