The Cruise Experience is changing!...

Nunagoras

Ok, first of all: Excuse me if I am breaking any forum rule, but by reading all the most current threads here on the RCI Forums, I wanted to start a thread that may be a general reflexion on how the entire Cruise Experience is changing nowadays.

Some 30 years ago, Cruiseing was seen as an extremely expensive luxury only available for some rich and very rich individuals. Now it is a well stablished industry with options that can be affordable by almost any average class citizen. While some 30 years ago, nearly all the companies offered more or less the same product, in part due to technical limitations on size and operationality of the ships and of the general maritime industry, now, even the smaller ships are more efficient with better designs and technology. On top of that the industry strarted to develop in many ways, creating different segments in the market to cater for different needs. There was the beggining of what is now the "classical" division between Luxury, premium and Mainstream Cruising.

Well, let us now put Luxury and premium Cruise Experiences apart (they are evolving themselves too...) and and let us concentrate ouselves on the Mainstream experience to where RCI belongs now. On the Mainstream Experience the trend seems to be that larger is better, and that more impersonal is more efficient. Ah! And let us bring land entertainment and amenities in general to the game, while ships are becoming larger and larger... And there is another factor to take in consideration: Weight limits for luggage in the planes...

And here we are now on the advent of the new Mainstream Cruising era: Computers and more computers on one side; casual and even more casual evenings on the other side... Ok, it may not be for all... But it is where the times are going... Ah! And to be Mainstream means appealing to the masses, and that will one day mean differenciate prices with the kind of amenities you want on your cruise, from the most simple inside room with basic amenities and services included to the largest suite with an all inclusive environment and SPA access included with many options in between, like the Italian lines and others are starting to implement. Sooner than later that will become standard as well...

Gone are the days of the pillow chocolates or of the huge midnight buffets... But another exciting world is coming: Better dining options; better passenger traffic inside the ships; better service management on any level of the ship; in summary, better passenger satisfaction in different ways may be comig!... Of course at some traditions expense... I'm curious on how RCI will deal with the captains reception now that there will no be any formal night in the ship?... Will it be another private event?... Or just another pool event?...

On one thing I'm certain: We will have a new Cruising Experience coming soon and I'm ready to be on the "poll position" for that!... And you?...

Did you know that at one time, Royal Caribbean was targeted to upper middle class cruisers who wanted a quiet relaxing vacation? The line prided itself on its personalized service and excellent food (including being known for the chocolate).

It has certainly changed. With the acquisition of Celebrity and the start up of Azamara, the Royal Caribbean corporation made the decision to down class its premier cruise line to compete with Carnival and NCL.

They certainly have achieved their goal. Crowded, noisy ships that have mediocre food (and no decent chocolate) with a clientele that want a frantic cruise schedule.

Yes, the RCL experience has certainly changed.

I for one enjoy most of the changes. I don't want to have the same experience with each cruise. I do however like having an idea of the general flow of things ie: how to board the ship, what cabin category we like etc. I do think that all of the cruise lines are endeavoring to make changes that appeal to their perceived clientele. As far as loosing the personal touch, on our last cruise we absolutely loved our room steward, ended up doing a WOW card for her and both my wife and I gave (received) a hug. As long as the overall experience is enjoyable...... bring on the change.

I had to chuckle when I read this part....does anyone ever still attend those after they've been on a couple cruises? What's the point? Shake the hand of the man that is responsible for "driving" our ship? Why?

We never understood the appeal to this....certainly it's not for the free bottom line drinks...if you can even find a waiter.

I don't miss the buffets either. Quite frankly, I always had a really hard time staying up until midnight...even in my early years. I'm such a morning person....can't seem to help or change that.

I do like really nice running paths and nice gyms, but I've been working out regularly for many years and by the looks of the exercise facilities on cruise ships, I'm in good company.

I do look forward to the changes....we have many years of cruising ahead of us....God willing.

:)

RCI has been redefining its product and offering it to the public.

Those who like it will return and those who don't will complain and sometimes find another cruise line.

We are pleased with RCI's product and will continue to cruise with them.

Gone are the days of the pillow chocolates or of the huge midnight buffets... But another exciting world is coming: Better dining options; better passenger traffic inside the ships; better service management on any level of the ship; in summary, better passenger satisfaction in different ways may be comig!...

I'm not sure I agree with these. If by "better dining options" you mean more dining options, then yes. But if you mean better food, then I disagree. We have found that the quality of the food has gone down over the years.

I would have to think that adding cabins where there were none before does not result in "better passenger traffic".

And if by "better service management" you mean better service, I also disagree. Service is still good, but with the employees stretched thinner and thinner, I don't think it's better.

Just my opinion.

Edited by time4u2go

I Couldn't agree with your post more.. After going on a cruise with RCL after being away for 10 years, I was highly disappointed with food and service. The impersonal experience in favor of efficiency,

We even found ourselves commenting that if the comedian and staff were going to make carnival jokes at the expensive of Carnivel, then they should at least make sure that RCL is really better than Carnival.

Ok, first of all: Excuse me if I am breaking any forum rule, but by reading all the most current threads here on the RCI Forums, I wanted to start a thread that may be a general reflexion on how the entire Cruise Experience is changing nowadays.

Some 30 years ago, Cruiseing was seen as an extremely expensive luxury only available for some rich and very rich individuals. Now it is a well stablished industry with options that can be affordable by almost any average class citizen. While some 30 years ago, nearly all the companies offered more or less the same product, in part due to technical limitations on size and operationality of the ships and of the general maritime industry, now, even the smaller ships are more efficient with better designs and technology. On top of that the industry strarted to develop in many ways, creating different segments in the market to cater for different needs. There was the beggining of what is now the "classical" division between Luxury, premium and Mainstream Cruising.

Well, let us now put Luxury and premium Cruise Experiences apart (they are evolving themselves too...) and and let us concentrate ouselves on the Mainstream experience to where RCI belongs now. On the Mainstream Experience the trend seems to be that larger is better, and that more impersonal is more efficient. Ah! And let us bring land entertainment and amenities in general to the game, while ships are becoming larger and larger... And there is another factor to take in consideration: Weight limits for luggage in the planes...

And here we are now on the advent of the new Mainstream Cruising era: Computers and more computers on one side; casual and even more casual evenings on the other side... Ok, it may not be for all... But it is where the times are going... Ah! And to be Mainstream means appealing to the masses, and that will one day mean differenciate prices with the kind of amenities you want on your cruise, from the most simple inside room with basic amenities and services included to the largest suite with an all inclusive environment and SPA access included with many options in between, like the Italian lines and others are starting to implement. Sooner than later that will become standard as well...

Gone are the days of the pillow chocolates or of the huge midnight buffets... But another exciting world is coming: Better dining options; better passenger traffic inside the ships; better service management on any level of the ship; in summary, better passenger satisfaction in different ways may be comig!... Of course at some traditions expense... I'm curious on how RCI will deal with the captains reception now that there will no be any formal night in the ship?... Will it be another private event?... Or just another pool event?...

On one thing I'm certain: We will have a new Cruising Experience coming soon and I'm ready to be on the "poll position" for that!... And you?...

I think that yes cruising has evolved alit but don't think it is limited to just the last ten or thirty years

I think like all things in life it has evolved around life's ever changing constraints from work life balance and also technological advancements

Our requirements from life and this also our relaxation and vacation time also changes over time

With so much to choose from cruising has set a base that we with our desires and needs can position ourselves into a given pigeon hole

I am looking forward to how this develops as last four years has been amazing changes with advent of these mega ships like allure as a destination in themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you know that at one time, Royal Caribbean was targeted to upper middle class cruisers who wanted a quiet relaxing vacation? The line prided itself on its personalized service and excellent food (including being known for the chocolate).

It has certainly changed. With the acquisition of Celebrity and the start up of Azamara, the Royal Caribbean corporation made the decision to down class its premier cruise line to compete with Carnival and NCL.

They certainly have achieved their goal. Crowded, noisy ships that have mediocre food (and no decent chocolate) with a clientele that want a frantic cruise schedule.

Totally agree with you!

Unfortunately, RCCL " Ain't what it use to be ...." :(

LuLu

The food has gotten terrible. I don't know if I'm ready to compare it to Carnival, but it is headed in that direction

We went on CCL (Triumph) for a short cruise last December. The food was decent and served hot. The sea-day brunch was excellent, best steak & eggs I've had in years. No complaints at all.

When we started cruising fifteen years ago, a cruise was an extremely nice vacation. Fantastic food, impeccable service, etc. The ships have vastly improved in fifteen years, but everything else has hit rock bottom. The service and food may be decent, but comparatively, it's pathetic. The quality is almost non-existent at this point and cruising with Royal Caribbean is far from the upper class vacation it used to be.

The only reason we cruise anymore these days is because of the unparalleled feeling of being disconnected and at sea. The resorts we frequent offer far better dining, personalized service, and accommodations... With a totally different clientele than cruising now attracts.

All in all, we love being "at sea" but cruising has lost its touch.

Edited by kruzerci

Some of us enjoy a traditional cruise experience, with the formal nights, and captains receptions, early and late seating. If I wanted freestyle cruising with 20 different restaurants I would sail on NCL.

Royal has a successful product and its beyond me why they would want to mess with success by making such a drastic change with dynamic dining.

If they want to try it with the new ships to test it out that's fine but making the change over fleet wide without even testing it seems a bit hasty to me, and very risky.

I do not think that I need to "agree" or "disagree" with you to say that you have written a very good summation of the situation.

I have been cruising for "only" a dozen years, and have seen changes, some for the better, some not.

I am willing to wait until I can experience the latest changes for myself before pronouncing judgment on them.

Thus, I have two Quantum cruises booked.

I DO love the Oasis and Allure, so that augurs well for the possibility of me enjoying the Quantum. The giant "IF" in that statement is Dynamic Dining. If I don't like it..........will the entertainment/amenities/activities on Q be enough to offset that disappointment?

Only time will tell!

yes cruising has changed drastically.....but so has many other means of commercial travel/vacation....quality lessens while fares/rates rise....:(

one blessing in disguise may be construction of the megaships.....keep building them and alienating cruisers as many lines are doing could result in many ships sailing 1/2 full which could eventually stabilize or even lower cruise prices.

i never had a problem with the cost of cruising but now feel cruising has become ala carte'.......so many add-on costs .....seems many perks of past cruising days are now upcharge items.

will i continue to sail ~ YES

will i continue to pay for subpar quality & service while prices increase ~ probably NOT

RCCL does loads of Caribbean which is not my area of choice cruising.

Personally, I am not drawn to the RCCL bells and whistle ships, like Mariner and Oasis. We did enjoy Canada/NE on RCCL Brilliance with great weather and RT Boston!!!!

I have enjoyed Celebrity Baltic and Med Cruises which have a less frantic pace as do the ships into Alaska, like Princess and Celebrity.

Hopefully, I will still have those to consider and will one day try Oceana and Azamara. I still think Crystal is way too pricey for me and may not have the general energy on board which I prefer. I don't think RCCL is the only game in town. Those that prefer 20 restaurants and "freestyle" will have something from which to choose......just not my choice!

As Merion_mom said, great summation imo.

One factor I feel that was missed and maybe the most important is the cost of cruising today vs. 20 years ago. I very VERY respectfully and admirably mention (specifically to those long time educated and veteran cruisers here on this thread) that I believe your cruise 20 years ago cost you approximately 2 to 3 times more at that time than it does now 1990 dollar vs. 2014 dollar? I also respectfully say that your cruise experience exactly the way you want it and have been describing it within this thread still exists!!! It's called Regent, Seabourn, Azamara, Oceana to name a few. From the reviews I've read, they are exactly what had been mentioned recently regarding sailing Royal in years gone by... "attentive service","superb food included", let's add the "traditional cruising experience" (likely including smaller more intimate ships).

I haven't crunched the numbers but I bet 1990 dollar vs. 2014 dollar those cruise lines are close to equal cost as what was paid for the Empress or Sovereign 20 years ago. For the most part, we are in a Cost-Co society... everything is replaceable and there's very little loyalty.... mass market, volume is the key. RCL cruises are just another item in one of the "50% off sale" bins at your local grocery store, Best-Buy, etc etc.

Edited by Hoopster95
added word "ago"

The most dangerous thing to say in any language

"We have always done it that way"

If companies don't continually re-invent themselves they turn out the same old boring product to someone who has experiences it before. Just look at brands like McDonalds, Burger King, WalMart, Sears/Kmart. They failed to re-invent themselves and now places like Chipolte and CostCo are killing them in sales.

Royal is just trying to stay ahead of the game. Some things will turn out well and others will sink and fail. I remember when MTD started to be rolled out and some people on these board made the same type of comments seen above. Anyone who says MTD hasn't been a resounding success is lying. Same type of things were said when Oasis and Allure were rolled out. They are doing so well they decided to build another one with the potential of a 4th.

The evolution of this industry has been amazing and it can all be blamed on someone not saying "We've always done it this way"

The most dangerous thing to say in any language

"We have always done it that way"

If companies don't continually re-invent themselves they turn out the same old boring product to someone who has experiences it before. Just look at brands like McDonalds, Burger King, WalMart, Sears/Kmart. They failed to re-invent themselves and now places like Chipolte and CostCo are killing them in sales.

Royal is just trying to stay ahead of the game. Some things will turn out well and others will sink and fail. I remember when MTD started to be rolled out and some people on these board made the same type of comments seen above. Anyone who says MTD hasn't been a resounding success is lying. Same type of things were said when Oasis and Allure were rolled out. They are doing so well they decided to build another one with the potential of a 4th.

The evolution of this industry has been amazing and it can all be blamed on someone not saying "We've always done it this way"

You and I agree on this - I said this very thing just last week:

You raise an interesting point in your post.

When Royal Caribbean introduced My Time Dining, there were SO MANY posts here from SO MANY cruisers who swore that they would "never cruise Royal Caribbean again." They had "tried Anytime Dining" on Princess, and HATED it, and were "outta here."

I still see most of those posters here.

RCCL does loads of Caribbean which is not my area of choice cruising.

Personally, I am not drawn to the RCCL bells and whistle ships, like Mariner and Oasis.

You mean Allure? Mariner's long gone to China and the other Voyager class ships are nothing like Oasis (thank heaven).

As for Oceania/Regent, apparently they're likely to become part of NCL:eek:

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/norwegian-in-advanced-talks-to-buy-prestige-reuters-says.html

And I can remember when Corporate Executives used to wear a Suit, shirt and tie, and not be seen on the tv dressed in jeans and tee shirts.

Yes, they are still earning billions or millions, but they choose to dress how they want, not what is perceived as being appropriate or meeting the expectations of others.

I spend my vacations chill-axing, and not winding myself up with the antics of others. I do not find the current style of cruising to be noisy, but they are full, as they need to be to enable the corporate shareholders to receive their expected dividends.

I have always received personalized service from RCCL and Carnival for that matter - may be its the way we interact with the staff?? that generates the response.

I spend my time on board switching off, generating prime R&R, and not dreaming up miles of pages with criticism.

Yes, I dress up on formal nights, and yes I do dress down during the day - but that works for me.

And...........I do enjoy cruising.

Some of us enjoy a traditional cruise experience, with the formal nights, and captains receptions, early and late seating. If I wanted freestyle cruising with 20 different restaurants I would sail on NCL.

Royal has a successful product and its beyond me why they would want to mess with success by making such a drastic change with dynamic dining.

If they want to try it with the new ships to test it out that's fine but making the change over fleet wide without even testing it seems a bit hasty to me, and very risky.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!