Oosterdam - aft corner (Neptune) suites... best deck, and other questions!

Tom-n-Cheryl

We're considering an Alaska cruise with HAL in 2016.

First off >>> when should I expect the 2016 dates to open up?

Not looking for a round-trip sailing... the options for '15 are the Zaandam and the Oosterdam. From a size/layout standpoint, the Oosterdam looks like it would be our pick.

>>> What aft corner suite would be your choice, and why? Privacy and balcony size are our main criteria. From some of the exterior photos I've found, deck 5 looks pretty nice (we enjoy balconies with lots of overhead coverage).

Looking at a couple of sailings (just to test the booking waters) for '15 in early August. On the August 2nd sailing, ALL 8 aft corner suites are still available. For the following week, SIX still are up for grabs - and the two which are taken (Southbound) are on the starboard side... which would have them looking (in addition to aft) away from land. I would have assumed that the preferred side would be the side facing the coast as you're cruising. What are your opinions on that for Alaska sailings??

Though... the above (with almost all after corner cabins available) begs the question: WHY are so many of these prime cabins still up for grabs? I would think they'd be grabbed up early on!

BTW -- if we sail with HAL in 2016, it will mark FIFTY years since I sailed with HAL... thanks to a transatlantic sailing in 1966 with my parents when I was 4 years old!

THANKS,

Tom

I'm told that deck 5 corner afts get booked first because they are so deep and well covered. We had a corner aft on Zuiderdam in Alaska. We were on 8, and although there's a public deck above, we didn't feel that there were lots of people looking down on us. It rained like crazy on most of our sea days, so we didn't have any issue with people dragging around loungers on the deck above. But I have heard that comment about being on 8. I can't comment on port/starboard because we were on a different itinerary.

For our next cruise, we've got a corner aft on 7. This saves us going up and down steps to get to the Neptune Lounge. We used the Neptune Lounge more than we expected to, so we thought we'd get a bit closer without losing that corner aft. I just looked at my cruise (Caribbean in January), and most of the corner afts are available. Only a few SAs are available, and they're the ones farthest from the Lounge. The few SBs on deck 6 midships are also available. So it looks like people book for midships and the Lounge first. Signature suites also seem to be booking midships first. That makes sense, it is the best location.

I also noticed that the few SAs left on my cruise are the same price as my SB. So if SA and SB were priced the same, maybe people said if it's the same price I want the "better" suite. It's true that the SAs are bigger. But for just the two of us, I'll happily accept a smaller room to get the larger balcony.

We started cruising 35 years ago in tiny inside upper/lower cabins on HAL and Cunard, so we "learned" to cruise in small spaces. These suites with the large balconies are a big step up for us. Wish my parents had taken me cruising when I was 4!

We're considering an Alaska cruise with HAL in 2016.

Not looking for a round-trip sailing... the options for '15 are the Zaandam and the Oosterdam. From a size/layout standpoint, the Oosterdam looks like it would be our pick.

Though... the above (with almost all after corner cabins available) begs the question: WHY are so many of these prime cabins still up for grabs? I would think they'd be grabbed up early on!

Tom

I have noticed that the corner afts on the Vista and larger ships do seem to be less popular now that HAL has changed their category ranking (from SC to SB). The price increase plus the fact that they are no longer the least expensive Neptune suites could be causing this.

Just my opinion of course.

DaveOKC

I have noticed that the corner afts on the Vista and larger ships do seem to be less popular now that HAL has changed their category ranking (from SC to SB). The price increase plus the fact that they are no longer the least expensive Neptune suites could be causing this.

DaveOKC

Did they used to be SC? It's a few years since our Alaska cruise, and I thought they were SB then. We could only book a guarantee for SC, and I recall noticing that there were very few SCs. I thought getting the corner aft was a slight upgrade. All I know was I was SO happy to snag a corner!

Did they used to be SC? It's a few years since our Alaska cruise, and I thought they were SB then. We could only book a guarantee for SC, and I recall noticing that there were very few SCs. I thought getting the corner aft was a slight upgrade. All I know was I was SO happy to snag a corner!

I think the change went into effect this past Spring - was SC before that.

I also think that what happened on some cruises was that once the SC became a "guarantee only" to promote bookings at a lower price, you could no longer "see" or book the SC corner afts, so it seemed that they were booked up when they may not have been.

Edited by DaveOKC

I'm told that deck 5 corner afts get booked first because they are so deep and well covered. We had a corner aft on Zuiderdam in Alaska. We were on 8, and although there's a public deck above, we didn't feel that there were lots of people looking down on us. It rained like crazy on most of our sea days, so we didn't have any issue with people dragging around loungers on the deck above. But I have heard that comment about being on 8. I can't comment on port/starboard because we were on a different itinerary.

For our next cruise, we've got a corner aft on 7. This saves us going up and down steps to get to the Neptune Lounge. We used the Neptune Lounge more than we expected to, so we thought we'd get a bit closer without losing that corner aft. I just looked at my cruise (Caribbean in January), and most of the corner afts are available. Only a few SAs are available, and they're the ones farthest from the Lounge. The few SBs on deck 6 midships are also available. So it looks like people book for midships and the Lounge first. Signature suites also seem to be booking midships first. That makes sense, it is the best location.

I also noticed that the few SAs left on my cruise are the same price as my SB. So if SA and SB were priced the same, maybe people said if it's the same price I want the "better" suite. It's true that the SAs are bigger. But for just the two of us, I'll happily accept a smaller room to get the larger balcony.

We started cruising 35 years ago in tiny inside upper/lower cabins on HAL and Cunard, so we "learned" to cruise in small spaces. These suites with the large balconies are a big step up for us. Wish my parents had taken me cruising when I was 4!

Thanks for the feedback!

Aside from the photos I have of that cruise in '66, I remember really only one thing from it... a vision locked in my mind of most of the kids (in a kids area I suppose) suffering from seasickness! :eek: I, fortunately, was not one of them.

i-vNKR7L9-L.jpg

... and a pipe at the dinner table - definitely different times! :D

Tom

The two corners on Oosterdam deck 5 are great. The cabins are a little bit smaller but I like the layout.

the balcony area is about 450 square feet and 100% covered. Keeps you out of the rain in cold climates and sun in hot. Would be no problem having 30 people out there (if not a few more). These two cabins have the largest balconies on the ship.

The two corners on Oosterdam deck 5 are great. The cabins are a little bit smaller but I like the layout.

the balcony area is about 450 square feet and 100% covered. Keeps you out of the rain in cold climates and sun in hot. Would be no problem having 30 people out there (if not a few more). These two cabins have the largest balconies on the ship.

Nice - thanks!

Anyone here have a preference for port/starboard on Alaska sailings (depending on north or southbound)?

Tom

Nice - thanks!

Anyone here have a preference for port/starboard on Alaska sailings (depending on north or southbound)?

Tom

We prefer port as that is many times facing the town when we dock. Also in Glacier Bay it seemed we spent a lot of time with port side toward the glacier.

Since you have the full aft and port side views you miss pretty much nothing.

Look up 5190 or 5191 ***** Halfacts. Remember the Noordam layout is different on the aft cabins. Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam are the same.

http://halfacts.com/vista-class/

We prefer port as that is many times facing the town when we dock. Also in Glacier Bay it seemed we spent a lot of time with port side toward the glacier.

Since you have the full aft and port side views you miss pretty much nothing.

Look up 5190 or 5191 ***** Halfacts. Remember the Noordam layout is different on the aft cabins. Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam are the same.

http://halfacts.com/vista-class/

Good to know.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that!

Tom

Thanks for the feedback!

Aside from the photos I have of that cruise in '66, I remember really only one thing from it... a vision locked in my mind of most of the kids (in a kids area I suppose) suffering from seasickness! :eek: I, fortunately, was not one of them.

i-vNKR7L9-L.jpg

... and a pipe at the dinner table - definitely different times! :D

Tom

Thanks for posting those pictures. She was our very, very first cruise ship, in the late 70s. Tiny inside upper/lower cabin, but even with that we were hooked!

Thanks for posting those pictures. She was our very, very first cruise ship, in the late 70s. Tiny inside upper/lower cabin, but even with that we were hooked!

You're welcome!

I've got to hand it to HAL - with only those photos, and my last name, they were able to set up a Mariner number for me... and gave me credit for that sailing!

I'll add ... they did this in (I believe) ONE DAY'S TIME !!! I've had more headaches trying to get proper credit for cruises I've taken as an adult with other lines IN THIS CENTURY !!

Tom

You're welcome!

I've got to hand it to HAL - with only those photos, and my last name, they were able to set up a Mariner number for me... and gave me credit for that sailing!

I'll add ... they did this in (I believe) ONE DAY'S TIME !!! I've had more headaches trying to get proper credit for cruises I've taken as an adult with other lines IN THIS CENTURY !!

Tom

My father was on Cunard's Mauretania as a troop ship in WWII. They gave him credit for that, which pushed him up a level in World Club. I thought that was really kind.

My father was on Cunard's Mauretania as a troop ship in WWII. They gave him credit for that, which pushed him up a level in World Club. I thought that was really kind.

That was a very nice gesture - and it was a "win-win". I wish more customer service departments could take a lesson from that!

Tom

DaveOKC

Good logic - it no doubt plays a role!

Tom

From what I've been able to determine, I can expect Celebrity to open up bookings for 2016 around the end of February '15. I discovered that by going through several threads for the 2015 Alaska sailings and finding comments like "this just opened up last week" from the various OP's.

I'll give that a try on the HAL roll calls, and see what the pattern has been.

Thanks again for all the input - looks like (if we go with HAL) deck 5 would be our pick!

Tom

I'll give that a try on the HAL roll calls, and see what the pattern has been.

Well, that didn't work too well ! Most of the Alaska threads I see were started just a few months before the cruise - certainly well after the booking window was opened.

There be tumbleweeds there! ;)

Tom

I think the change went into effect this past Spring - was SC before that.

I also think that what happened on some cruises was that once the SC became a "guarantee only" to promote bookings at a lower price, you could no longer "see" or book the SC corner afts, so it seemed that they were booked up when they may not have been.

On the Vista and Signature ships, the 4th, 5th and 6th Deck waft wraps were SC cabins. The 7th and 8th Deck were SB cabins. HAL changed them all to SB designated cabins.

Alaska 2015 opened for booking at the beginning of April 2014.

Thanks.

There must be move issues with all the cruise lines nailing down their Alaska details each year... as many other destinations are often open close to two years in advance.

Tom

We had 5190 on the Zuiderdam for last year's Alaska cruise and it was fabulous. Room was plenty big (unbelievable closet space, extra closets) and the balcony is huge and covered. I believe the room and balcony are the same on the Oosterdam. If 5190 or 5191 are available, grab one.