PG Has Fallen Apart

somuchfun2222

We cruised last month on the Gauguin in Asia and while it was our 3rd Gauguin cruise it will absolutely be our last. Having been on over 20 cruises with 5 different lines we have a pretty good idea of what to expect and the way things should be.

Paul Gauguin has become the worst run cruise line in the industry and far from the luxury line they purport to be, I would say more like 2 1/2 stars. From a ship that is in really bad condition (the A/C did not work for over half our cruise) to the really poor management and oversight.

Also, while they may have renovated a couple of years ago this 15 year old ship looks closer to 30 in many areas. They used to own the French Polynesian market and were the go to by default, but with the addition of other lines in the market they will fade fast.

It is really a shame as there are some really nice staff onboard but the management and operations of this cruise line (we have been on the Terrible Moana as well) is really bush league.

**********STAY AWAY FROM PAUL GAUGUIN***********

Will you be doing a full review? I'd like to read it if so. Also, you say you have been on the Tere Moana - did you write a review on that? We're sailing her on 12/6, and it's hard to find information/reviews on this ship. I know they got off to a rocky start (what ship doesn't?) -- but it sounds like they have improved across the past year or so.

Very sad to hear you had a bad time.

I guess the dry dock didnt fix all the issues as someone mentioned it was to go again to dry dock in Singapore in 2016.

We are to sail on the PG next week and have sailed 7 times before and also once on Tere Moana. Shall look at the whole ship without rose coloured glasses.

Were you by any chance on the first Tere Moana cruise?

I know that I wasn't overly thrilled with my PG experience, but I didn't get the impression that they were falling apart. I got the impression that they were becoming more mainstream if anything. It was a good cruise... just not great. The ship was in decent shape other than the significant vibration from the engines. I believe that was one of the things they were supposed to fix in drydock.

Looking forward to reading the reviews from the repeaters.

Edit: What happened to Tikiintahiti? I'm sure he'll want to give his opinion here.

Edited by RZ3

Oh boy, nice thing to read the night before we leave for our 6th cruise on the PG!

It would be nice to have some A/C, for sure!

Don't worry. We are thinking of booking our 10th on the PG to go along with our 9th on the TM for next summer. I don't let an occasional bad review concern me, because in 8 sailings over 13 years and as recently as last January, it have NEVER seen what the OP has reported.

My faith will remain with the staff and crew of the PG who I trust a lot more than a review from a stranger.

:) everyone!

Oh boy, nice thing to read the night before we leave for our 6th cruise on the PG!

It would be nice to have some A/C, for sure!

Wendy, by their very nature reviews are so subjective! I sympathise with the OP, as A/C in Asia is necessary. It is sad that it was such a bad experience.

We got off the PG last Saturday and I cannot understand the comments about "falling apart". I am in the process of writing a review of that trip with my own personal thoughts and feelings about it. (Australia-Fiji)

You will be on the ship in a few days and will be able to see for yourself and make up your own mind.

Bon Voyage and have fun!!:)

Tess

This was my 3rd and last PG cruise. The first two were nice, but this one shows how things sometimes change. Or maybe Oceania has shown my what the cruise experience should be. Crew were always helpful, but reception people lacked something. Food was OK but not all that wonderful. Just my thoughts, but last trip on PG.:(

The fact that this was your third however means your first two were great. Meatloaf sang a song about this! Sorry to hear the last one didn't work out for you. I had problems on one of mine but we didn't let the bad outweigh the good.

Regarding the first post on this thread. There will be skeptics being that this was the first post on CC from this person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by twin123185

I KNOW the repeaters cruise is leaving in just a few days, I'll be anxious to hear their thoughts since we KNOW they have been CC members for more than a few days and we KNOW they have sailed PG repeatedly because of the pictures and reviews they have posted over the years. I think I'll trust that group to give an unvarnished report in a couple of weeks, as most did after the rocky Tera Moana inaugural.

I have to say that we didn't get the "falling apart" feel. Sure, there were little spots of rust here and there, but we've been in four other ships, and they all have that. Overall the ship appeared to be in good shape. I saw no stained furnishings, tattered carpets, wobbly tables, etc.

As far as the ship itself, our biggest complaints were the extremely loud a/c with no way to turn the very loud fan off in our cabin and a lot of vibration in the rear of the ship (something that seems to be an issue with many repeaters as well, and something they really need to figure out a way to correct.)

Overall we found it clean and although there were a handful of small things I would have changed a bit (better light over the jigsaw puzzle, different layout in the fitness center, the phone being attached to the nightstand all come to mind) our complaints were mostly related to overall service, staff attitude, and food more than any physical deficiencies of the ship.

As RZ3 implied, it wasn't a terrible cruise, but more like a mainstream line than a luxury ship, but at luxury prices, and "wasn't overly thrilled" was our impression as well. When you spend that type if money, it's not a good impression to leave with.

Out of my group of about 45, well over half have stated that they wouldn't cruise with PG again. That includes two couples who have cruised with them in the past. Keep in mind that market research has shown that for every customer who complains to an organization, 10 never say anything but just never "shop" with that establishment again.

It seems that over the past year or so, for every "repeater" poster, there has been someone who posted a negative review. If I were PG's management, I'd be taking a very close look at what needed to be changed, and find a way to make those changes before losing further market share to the other lines who are starting to sail in French Polynesia. I'd also say that most people aren't choosing their cruise because a ship stays in an area year round. They are going to need to do better than that to retain, let alone gain market share.

Edited by ducklite

We will be on the repeaters cruise and will decide for ourselves. Yes, the ship is an older one without all the bells and whistles the newer ones have.

We have found that when the PG is within their usual itineraries all is well in terms of organization but off their usual path it can be a bit disorganized. Perhaps, that is an area for improvement.

All so, I think we Repeaters sometimes create an impossible vision for the ship and its crew. Yes, what we report is true for our experience but others build it up in their minds prior to boarding.

We have cruised on Regent, Oceania, Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Princess. None and I mean none have crews like the PG-friendly, sincere and professional. This is what brings us back over and over.

I will be reporting back and report what my husband and I experience while on the repeater's cruise.

Oh and by the way, 7 cruises back on the PG, we, too, read a negative report and went with some anxiety only to discover that FOR US those poor reports were not true.

Is it a perfect ship, NO, but definitely worth the time and expense to experience it. By the way, while French Polynesia is beautiful it is the SHIP and its CREW that brings us back!!!!

I have been wanting to take a PG cruise for years, and now I am finally planning it. Tahiti & Society Islands May 2015. I love everything that I know about the Paul Gauguin, but there are quite a few very negative reviews about this ship and the cruise line. I'm really have serious second thoughts.

I have heard great things about Windstar, and they don't seem to get so many negative reviews. But they aren't offering a sailing in May, and I don't like the fact that there are no balcony staterooms.

It's a dilemma. I'd love to hear input on whether the Paul Gauguin is really that bad, or if it's just a few people here and there that have really bad experiences.

I have been wanting to take a PG cruise for years, and now I am finally planning it. Tahiti & Society Islands May 2015. I love everything that I know about the Paul Gauguin, but there are quite a few very negative reviews about this ship and the cruise line. I'm really have serious second thoughts.

I have heard great things about Windstar, and they don't seem to get so many negative reviews. But they aren't offering a sailing in May, and I don't like the fact that there are no balcony staterooms.

It's a dilemma. I'd love to hear input on whether the Paul Gauguin is really that bad, or if it's just a few people here and there that have really bad experiences.

Whatever you do go with your heart.

Read all the reviews and make up your own mind.

A

I did a two star cruise around croatia on the recommendation of my travel agent, although as we planned my itinerary she got cold feet and changed her recommendation to windstar. We considered it seriously and stuck with the original recommendation and although there were some on board complaing we had a marvellous time. Yes we could pick holes, but are you a glass half full or a glass half empty type?

P.S. Some negative nellies have made repeated claims concerning PG that just dont stack up with my others experiences.

I have sailed on both Windstar and the PG--most on this board have not been on both.

We found the food, service, crew, and overall vibe on Windstar to be superior. PG is a small ship, but feels very "mass market" and we didn't really get a luxury ship vibe, particularly in terms of our interactions with some of the crew.

The cabins on the two ships are comparable in terms of comfort, quality, and amenities.. Small details like no iPod docking stations in the cabins are what make the PG feel mass market.

We had a balcony on the PG and barely used it--we did so only because we felt forced to do so because we had paid for it. We wouldn't have missed it if we hadn't had it and now wish we hadn't spent the extra money on it--which is a sentiment that I know many repeaters agree with. It is no different on Windstar. You are kept way too busy to have time to sit on a balcony. There is so much space in the public areas, it's never full and always feels intimate.

I can't recall a single person who has ACTUALLY SAILED ON BOTH who preferred the PG over Windstar. Someone who hasn't sailed on both has no basis to compare or make a legitimate claim of one over the other. That's just common sense.

I would agree with Ducklite. Unfortunately, in this particular forum, one is not allowed to recount their experiences if one can't extol the virtues of PG 100%. You are not allow to factually discuss your experiences with PG if you say anything that doesn't jibe with the opinion of several of the PG cheerleaders here.

I gave up writing my review of my trip, simply because it became so tedious to be told that what I experienced simply wasn't possible. I was totally truthful in my recounting of my cruise in an effort to provide information and help someone else.

I have sailed both Windstar and PG. PG felt much more "mass market" and was a much less intimate experience then Windstar. I probably wouldn't consider PG again, especially in French Polynesia.

We all like different things, but for the very high price of this cruise, I feel one has a right to expect a certain level of service, food, etc., and for me, PG did not perform well.

But I'm sure now I will be told I am negative, see the glass "half-empty" and am unable to just "go with it", or any one of similar, empty nonsense phrases, because PG did not meet expectation.

Hey I don't mind the negative. I always tell it like it is and expect everyone to do the same. I had issues with one of my PG cruises and posted accordingly. I have also been to French Polynesia with Princess and RCCL and know two people who HAVE sailed Windstar and the PG in French Polynesia and both preferred PG big time over Windstar.

Unfortunately they are not on cruise critic. Look folks, take Windstar if you want to come to Tahiti. You will get the Tahitian flu and come back. Then take PG and Compare for yourself. Or do the reverse. I would never let a couple of reviews deter me from a trip such as this.

I'm writing this while sitting in a 5 star resort in San Diego. This place has luxury figured out. (Grand Del Mar) Literally every staff member says hello regardless of what they are doing. The food is beyond superb and the rooms are immaculately appointed. The bar and wait staff are ridiculously polite and prompt.

That is not the PG experience. Sure, there are a lot of nice staff and a few stand outs. However, a lot of them are just going through the motions until their contract is over.

I'd have no problem with that if they weren't marketing themselves as a luxury cruise. It's not. It's an all-inclusive mainstream cruise withe the Gauguines added in for some entertainment.

However, it is competitively priced when compared to the other French Polynesia options available. If you stick to one of the lower priced cabins, you will be getting a good value for your trip. It just won't be 5 star... or even 4 star.

Personally, when I go back I will most likely split time between Bora Bora and Moorea.

Hey I don't mind the negative. I always tell it like it is and expect everyone to do the same. I had issues with one of my PG cruises and posted accordingly. I have also been to French Polynesia with Princess and RCCL and know two people who HAVE sailed Windstar and the PG in French Polynesia and both preferred PG big time over Windstar.

Unfortunately they are not on cruise critic. Look folks, take Windstar if you want to come to Tahiti. You will get the Tahitian flu and come back. Then take PG and Compare for yourself. Or do the reverse. I would never let a couple of reviews deter me from a trip such as this.

I would suggest Windstar first, as you might not care to return after the PG experience. Just saying.