Is this wording new?

fizzy

While researching a special offer cruise, one of the benefits mentioned was "free pre-paid gratuities". That sounds strange to me as gratuities have never been mentioned in this way that I can recall. I guess it could be a pull in for a new customer but I found it odd. Has this been standard advertising for awhile and I just missed it?

thanks to all

I have no idea if it is new or not. But it is a marketing concept that contradicts itself. How can something be free if it is pre-paid?

Why not just be forthright and say that gratuities are included in the cruise fare?

The person who composed this failed Martketing101...or maybe he didn't. :confused:

This wording has been there for a long time. When you look at any cruise you will see:

What's Included in This Cruise

FARES INCLUDE: 2-For-1 Fares, Early Booking Savings, FREE Roundtrip Air*, FREE Business Class Air* in Penthouse Suites and Higher (indicated by the icon below), FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions, FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel in Concierge Suites and Higher, FREE Specialty Restaurants, FREE Unlimited Beverages Including Fine Wines and Premium Spirits, FREE Open Bars and Lounges PLUS In-Suite Mini-Bar Replenished Daily, FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities, FREE Transfers Between Airport and Ship, and much more.

P.S. The advertising agency that put this together has made millions for Regent. While I agree that these things are "included" - not free -- there is legally nothing wrong with advertising in this way.

Edited by Travelcat2

This wording has been there for a long time. When you look at any cruise you will see:

FARES INCLUDE: 2-For-1 Fares, Early Booking Savings, FREE Roundtrip Air*, FREE Business Class Air* in Penthouse Suites and Higher (indicated by the icon below), FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions, FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel in Concierge Suites and Higher, FREE Specialty Restaurants, FREE Unlimited Beverages Including Fine Wines and Premium Spirits, FREE Open Bars and Lounges PLUS In-Suite Mini-Bar Replenished Daily, FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities, FREE Transfers Between Airport and Ship, and much more.

I guess you're right. I thought I remembered things as being more quietly featured as "all inclusive" and not so much FREE, FREE, FREE. Oh well.

I guess you're right. I thought I remembered things as being more quietly featured as "all inclusive" and not so much FREE, FREE, FREE. Oh well.

The FREE FREE FREE drives me a bit crazy but it is their marketing strategy and seems to work.

None of the aforementioned amenities are FREE; you, the customer, have paid for them in your so-called "included" cruise fare.

Most experienced cruisers know this. Regent is just louder about proclaiming it.

None of the aforementioned amenities are FREE; you, the customer, have paid for them in your so-called "included" cruise fare.

Most experienced cruisers know this. Regent is just louder about proclaiming it.

I certainly have understood the concept over the years. I just did not remember it being so brassy and in your face.

I certainly have understood the concept over the years. I just did not remember it being so brassy and in your face.

Part of the issue is this--the average consumer sees free and leaps upon whatever is offered. Some of us understand exactly what it is and others think they have won the lottery. The average person in this country has become below average in intelligence and needs to have more explanations given.

Debi