For new cruisers: Some tips & thoughts Pt. 1

big al

Finally, to MAXIMIZE you balcony experience, read & either print ( 4-5 pages) OR jot down notes on the balcony experience here:
I had actually read that thread and was so glad I had chosen a balcony. DS and his girlfriend took this same cruise 18 months ago and had a balcony upgrade so I figured if I was only going to cruise once, I wanted a balcony. Friends told me to save the money and use it for excursions but I didn't listen to them. I am cutting and pasting all the good hints I have read on CC to a document to print before I go.

Sapphiregem, I was too worried about a flight delay messing with cruise departure so am flying to Orlando a day early. Got a room at Pop Century at Disney and will just enjoy the familiar night life there before using a rental car to Port Canaveral the next morning.

I had actually read that thread and was so glad I had chosen a balcony. DS and his girlfriend took this same cruise 18 months ago and had a balcony upgrade so I figured if I was only going to cruise once, I wanted a balcony. Friends told me to save the money and use it for excursions but I didn't listen to them. I am cutting and pasting all the good hints I have read on CC to a document to print before I go.

Sapphiregem, I was too worried about a flight delay messing with cruise departure so am flying to Orlando a day early. Got a room at Pop Century at Disney and will just enjoy the familiar night life there before using a rental car to Port Canaveral the next morning.

Carol- Great choice to go with the balcony!! I find that 95% of people who "say save your money" stuff are people who have NEVER been in a balcony!! Remember to look into inside cabins across from you in the hall & imagine being in there for a whole week vs. what you have!!

Hey, Big Al,

Thank-you for such a thoughtful post. I wish I would have seen great advice like this before Rebecca and I took our first cruise last year.

BTW - We are now seriously hooked on cruises!

Thanks for the compliment...so glad you liked cruising!! What ship did you go on and what ports of call? Balcony cabin? My next thread will be on the cruise lines & differences between them & ports of call.....

Big Al

Thanks for the compliment...so glad you liked cruising!! What ship did you go on and what ports of call? Balcony cabin? My next thread will be on the cruise lines & differences between them & ports of call.....

Big Al

Our first cruise was San Diego - Hawaii round trip aboard Celebrity Century. We picked a Concierge cabin.

Second was Barcelona - Fort Lauderdale aboard Equinox, also Concierge.

Third was a Caribbean cruise, also aboard Equinox. We found a last minute cancellation while on the transatlantic so we continued on! This was an Aqua Class cabin.

Thanks for asking.

So, now a question for you:

Even after taking only one Transatlantic thus far, we are seriously addicted to that itinerary. We dislike international flights due to hassle and price. We would rather do a roundtrip of sorts. Is Cunard the only option for one segment?

Our first cruise was San Diego - Hawaii round trip aboard Celebrity Century. We picked a Concierge cabin.

Second was Barcelona - Fort Lauderdale aboard Equinox, also Concierge.

Third was a Caribbean cruise, also aboard Equinox. We found a last minute cancellation while on the transatlantic so we continued on! This was an Aqua Class cabin.

Thanks for asking.

So, now a question for you:

Even after taking only one Transatlantic thus far, we are seriously addicted to that itinerary. We dislike international flights due to hassle and price. We would rather do a roundtrip of sorts. Is Cunard the only option for one segment?

Cunard is the option IF you want to go TA in 6 days or so...many go & return but take 12-15 days to do so- you can find most cruise lines start their TA's in late April or early May..no one does a TA & comes right back except Cunard..I see you've only done Celebrity- my advice is to consider cruising also on RCI ( Oasis & Freedom class), NCL ( Breakaway, Getaway, & Epic), Princess ( any of the 113-116,000 ton ships along with new Royal & Regal Princess) & even Disney ( they have the best cabins, best musical shows, best service, & best private island in Castaway Cay IMO..) , which has THEE highest rated ship ( Fantasy) on all Cruise Critic ( 98% approval) & best 4 night cruise ( Dream, which we went on last Nov., & LOVED it!)...the new MSC Divina is THEE most beautiful ship I've ever seen & great shows & very good $$..$299 for a balcony for 7 nights!!...Just some ideas for you...variety is the spice of life!!

Big Al

Cunard is the option IF you want to go TA in 6 days or so...many go & return but take 12-15 days to do so- you can find most cruise lines start their TA's in late April or early May..no one does a TA & comes right back except Cunard..I see you've only done Celebrity- my advice is to consider cruising also on RCI ( Oasis & Freedom class), NCL ( Breakaway, Getaway, & Epic), Princess ( any of the 113-116,000 ton ships along with new Royal & Regal Princess) & even Disney ( they have the best cabins, best musical shows, best service, & best private island in Castaway Cay IMO..) , which has THEE highest rated ship ( Fantasy) on all Cruise Critic ( 98% approval) & best 4 night cruise ( Dream, which we went on last Nov., & LOVED it!)...the new MSC Divina is THEE most beautiful ship I've ever seen & great shows & very good $$..$299 for a balcony for 7 nights!!...Just some ideas for you...variety is the spice of life!!

Big Al

WOW! Such great advice. Looks like Cunard will be a great substitution for an international flight. Combine that with a 14+night TA and stay a week or two in Europe.

That's an impressive list of ships...so many cruises, so little time.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
WOW! Such great advice. Looks like Cunard will be a great substitution for an international flight. Combine that with a 14+night TA and stay a week or two in Europe.

That's an impressive list of ships...so many cruises, so little time.

Thanks again!

That's a good car sticker- "so many cruises, so little time", LOL...

1) Try Chops one night for a great steak dinner & fantastic appetizers & side dishes- get a table by the window over-looking the sea..VERY ROMANTIC & well worth $35 PP IMO..

2) Don't miss the ice-skating show ,deck 3 Studio B...

3) Make sure you sit in the canti-levered hot tubs in the Adult Solarium pool area ON A SEA DAY!!

4) Go to the Retro 70's disco night in the Royal Promenade

5) Go to Schooners Lounge deck 4 for sing-along with piano guy or trivia

6) Go To British Pub, deck 5 & sit OUTSIDE on the Promenade & people watch ( BTW, always good singers in there)

7) Go to the Viking Crown Lounge for drinks & listen to music, deck 14..very romantic & great atmosphere..

Finally, to MAXIMIZE you balcony experience, read & either print ( 4-5 pages) OR jot down notes on the balcony experience here

We have booked a cruise for the FOS next August on Western Itinerary.(I know a long ways away) First time on RCI. Would love to know anything and everything about this ship. Do you know when we can start reserving shows? Do you know if I can bring water and soda in my luggage, or will they take it? Any other don't miss?

Love the Thread by the way

1) Try Chops one night for a great steak dinner & fantastic appetizers & side dishes- get a table by the window over-looking the sea..VERY ROMANTIC & well worth $35 PP IMO..

2) Don't miss the ice-skating show ,deck 3 Studio B...

3) Make sure you sit in the canti-levered hot tubs in the Adult Solarium pool area ON A SEA DAY!!

4) Go to the Retro 70's disco night in the Royal Promenade

5) Go to Schooners Lounge deck 4 for sing-along with piano guy or trivia

6) Go To British Pub, deck 5 & sit OUTSIDE on the Promenade & people watch ( BTW, always good singers in there)

7) Go to the Viking Crown Lounge for drinks & listen to music, deck 14..very romantic & great atmosphere..

Finally, to MAXIMIZE you balcony experience, read & either print ( 4-5 pages) OR jot down notes on the balcony experience here

We have booked a cruise for the FOS next August on Western Itinerary.(I know a long ways away) First time on RCI. Would love to know anything and everything about this ship. Do you know when we can start reserving shows? Do you know if I can bring water and soda in my luggage, or will they take it? Any other don't miss?

Love the Thread by the way

Glad you liked the post...FOS wonderful ship...you can start booking dining 90 days out & entertainment 60 days as a general rule..RCI keeps changing the rules for bringing water & soda, so I would call them..those 7 things I listed are all "don't miss" stuff...if you like Italian food, Giovanni's ( $20pp) is suppose to be good...have a great time on the Freedom!!

Big Al

Besides my other pieces of advice (besides not flying in the day of your cruise and always read up on your ship/line on the cruise line website), I do have another item:

Don't try to do everything. Don't plan out every second on board or in port. You'll get a daily newsletter that you can look over every night. You can see if there's activities of interest, but don't feel guilty if you just want to go to the pool and chill out.

Don't feel you HAVE to eat in a specialty restaurant. We were actually gifted with a complimentary dinner in the Princess specialty restaurant for our last cruise (I was being thanked for doing someone a favor, but it really wasn't necessary to get anything but a thank you note). We went, but afterwards, we weren't saying "we have to do this again next cruise."

Don't feel you HAVE to have the most expensive cabin. We would rather go up on deck -- can see a lot more than the narrow view you get with some balconies.

But in the long run, if there's something important to you (the restaurants, the full suites, the art auctions, etc.) then it's your choice. But don't feel any of this is a must if not your thing.