105 days til Christmas - Christmas Cruise Q's

karen s

We were on the last 2 Explorer Christmas cruises.

Egg Nog both with and without the booze is served on Christmas morning.

Santa makes a stop at Studio B for the kids.

Midnight mass in the Palace Theater or Christmas carols in the Royal Promenade.

Ships Christmas Tree in front of the Cafe Promenade.

Traditional Christmas Dinner in the MDR.

And the Gingerbread village is in front of the Windjammer.

Have a great Holiday cruise, we will miss the Explorer as she goes to drydock and other homeports.

Thanks Freo, we're really looking forward to this Christmas Cruise!

Oh, yes. I'd be very open to that -- and while I'm not saying we didn't enjoy sailing on a holiday week, it wasn't ideal. And if I pay a premium price for a holiday week, I expect a premium experience -- not extra-large crowds and waiting for . . . well, everything.

We have sailed on Holiday weeks, weekends and regular weeks with no holiday......if the ship is full, it is crowded. You pay a premium price not because the ship experience is going to have any different offerings for the increase in price, simply because OTHER TRAVELERS are on it during a week that is very advantageous to them to be on vacation and vacation providers (aka cruise lines) know that and take advantage of the opportunity to increase prices.

If you were those people in charge of maximizing profits you would do the same thing.

Knowing that booking a cruise, if you can cruise at another time, you will get a better price for the cruise. You know what you are paying for when you book it.

My experience last year on the Rhapsody was we got a great deal and the ship whilst full, never felt crowded. Could always get a seat in the Solarium or by the pool ( and its summer in Australia) , didnt have to queue for any of the shows and our dining experience in the MDR could not be faulted.

I am sure the OP will enjoy the Christmas experience on board.

You might want to give the week after Thanksgiving a try. We have sailed several times then. The decorations are out (that's when I captured the pictures I posted) and prices are usually great - found some great deals for the week. I think since most kids are back in school and since it is right after a holiday it affects the bookings, so the cruise line has pretty good discounts.

Our first cruise was early December and the decorations were up on the ship and even the hotel in Miami. But our January cruises have all been too late. Can also vouch the prices and kid-ratio were fine by us.

I like the IDEA of a Christmas Cruise, but the practicality of the increased price, above-average occupancy, kids out of school and the added traveling headaches has us taking advantage of those "just after" or "just before" discounts. Also when DW can toss in "I'll work ON Christmas and New Years," getting the desired days off is absolutely no issue.;)

We have sailed on Holiday weeks, weekends and regular weeks with no holiday......if the ship is full, it is crowded. You pay a premium price not because the ship experience is going to have any different offerings for the increase in price, simply because OTHER TRAVELERS are on it during a week that is very advantageous to them to be on vacation and vacation providers (aka cruise lines) know that and take advantage of the opportunity to increase prices.

If you were those people in charge of maximizing profits you would do the same thing.

Knowing that booking a cruise, if you can cruise at another time, you will get a better price for the cruise. You know what you are paying for when you book it.

No, you misunderstand me -- I didn't expect that they'd offer anything special because a holiday week comes at a premium price. Rather, it felt like a poor value to me because I was paying more than I would have another week . . . and because of the crowds, I felt I was getting less for my money.

I agree that if I was trying to maximize profits, I'd pile people in three deep as well. However, I'm on the other side of that transaction; thus, I'm more interested in what I get for my money!

No, you misunderstand me -- I didn't expect that they'd offer anything special because a holiday week comes at a premium price. Rather, it felt like a poor value to me because I was paying more than I would have another week . . . and because of the crowds, I felt I was getting less for my money.

I agree that if I was trying to maximize profits, I'd pile people in three deep as well. However, I'm on the other side of that transaction; thus, I'm more interested in what I get for my money!

I don't believe I misunderstood you.....and you should want the best value for your money.....prices are higher during certain travel periods....airfare is no different. The crowds are the same....if you want to feel you are getting a better value for your dollar spent, travel at times, when you can get a better price.

I realize that isn't always possible....but it isn't the service providers fault. Many would like the cruise line to cruise with less cruisers during some weeks when they charge more per person.....that won't happen. Sure if they put less people on the ships during 'peak times', you will feel like you are getting a premium cruise for the premium price you paid....but it doesn't work that way, nor would I expect it to.