Another example of the need for insurance

nbsjcruiser

Not everyone here is a"Always Buy insurance"proponent.

I bought it one time when it was a Austrailia cruise. Never used it

Been on several cruises never bought it. The money I saved is in my own travel insurance fund and could probably cover any loses I incur( no fund actually exists).

If I need to cancel a cruise it is not going to break me-I figure if you can afford to cruise you can afford not to cruise.

I have a small business here in NJ and am forced to buy all kinds of insurance. If I am given a choice I will always pass.

You can try to cover all bases but you never will.

This is my opinion and I know I am in the minority here, but I am not the only one.

As the reporter mentions, "cruise lines are notoriously sticky when it comes to cancellations". This is actually unique to the cruise industry. My father passed away unexpectedly of a heart attack. At the time, he had three trips scheduled in the following two months. I had absolutely no problem cancelling and getting complete refunds on all three plane tickets (three different airlines). One of the trips was just three days away, and inside the cancellation window for the accommodations where several hundred dollars should have been lost. Again, one phone call and it was returned with no hesitation.

The ONLY thing I didn't get back? Yep... The deposit on the cruise!

Look, people are right at saying "that's the way it is with cruises". But it is one of the complete crap things about the industry. Seriously? Somebody DIED and you're still not going to cut them a break? Even the AIRLINES did it.

As for insurance, if you feel you can't afford the loss, go for it. To me, it's definitely NOT worth it. I consider myself to be self-insured.

As for insurance, if you feel you can't afford the loss, go for it. To me, it's definitely NOT worth it. I consider myself to be self-insured.

I'm glad you can consider yourself self-insured. I'm not willing to take that risk -- not so much for the cancellation aspect, but an unexpected medical evacuation wouldn't be a cost I'd want to bear out of pocket.

As the reporter mentions, "cruise lines are notoriously sticky when it comes to cancellations". This is actually unique to the cruise industry. My father passed away unexpectedly of a heart attack. At the time, he had three trips scheduled in the following two months. I had absolutely no problem cancelling and getting complete refunds on all three plane tickets (three different airlines). One of the trips was just three days away, and inside the cancellation window for the accommodations where several hundred dollars should have been lost. Again, one phone call and it was returned with no hesitation.

The ONLY thing I didn't get back? Yep... The deposit on the cruise!

Look, people are right at saying "that's the way it is with cruises". But it is one of the complete crap things about the industry. Seriously? Somebody DIED and you're still not going to cut them a break? Even the AIRLINES did it.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Please understand that the airline's business model is far different from the cruiselines business model. As you were cancelling your father's airline tickets, there was somebody else searching for a flight, needing to get somewhere quickly due to a sick loved one, a funeral, or a business situation. some of the most expensive air line tickets are purchased last minute, so late sales may lead to as large or larger profits, not smaller ones. the airlines likely resold your father's seat, even the one three days away. And, even if they did not manage to tell that fare, they did not need to resell it, as they routinely overbook flights. Overbooking, frequent no shows/missed connections and sales until the last minute are all part the airlines business model. None of those is typically part of the cruiselines's business model...They fully book, not over book, make few last minute sales (then often at rock bottom prices). It is not fair to compare the policies of one to the other.

It seems that you and your father had the same view of travel insurance. He chose to self insure, and his estate, therefore, did not recover a deposit. You actively chose to self insure, and someday you or your estate may perhaps bear the costs of that decision. Make such a decision with eyes wide open, and do not expect an exception if and when events turn contrary. best wishes.

I'm glad you can consider yourself self-insured. I'm not willing to take that risk -- not so much for the cancellation aspect, but an unexpected medical evacuation wouldn't be a cost I'd want to bear out of pocket.

Medical evacuation is different. I have a med jet assist membership. That covers the evac from pretty much anywhere. This news report was about the cost of the cruise vacation. THAT is the part for which I consider to be self insured. Most people who buy travel insurance simultaneously OVER purchase (they purchase coverage for things they don't need, or already have through their own health insurance), and UNDER purchase (they don't always understand the circumstances and requirements that need to be met to claim a payment.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Please understand that the airline's business model is far different from the cruiselines business model. As you were cancelling your father's airline tickets, there was somebody else searching for a flight, needing to get somewhere quickly due to a sick loved one, a funeral, or a business situation. some of the most expensive air line tickets are purchased last minute, so late sales may lead to as large or larger profits, not smaller ones. the airlines likely resold your father's seat, even the one three days away. And, even if they did not manage to tell that fare, they did not need to resell it, as they routinely overbook flights. Overbooking, frequent no shows/missed connections and sales until the last minute are all part the airlines business model. None of those is typically part of the cruiselines's business model...They fully book, not over book, make few last minute sales (then often at rock bottom prices). It is not fair to compare the policies of one to the other.

Thanks for the lesson, but believe me, I'm well versed in how airlines work. It's great to be a cruise fan, but you don't need to be an apologist for a crap policy. When someone DIES, give the money back. End of story. If you're argument were valid, then why did he receive the deposit from his booked stay at a high end resort that definitely DOES NOT overbook, and rarely sells last minute bookings? Because it's the decent and reasonable thing to do.

The airlines are under no obligation to give that money back upon death. They too could issue a restrictive credit, blah, blah, blah.... The only justification for it with the cruise lines is that they can get away with it.

Just for clarification, I was in no way upset or surprised when the cruise line didn't offer up the refund. But in the light of everything else happening so easily, it only cemented my opinion that while I do enjoy cruising, their business model is one step above shifty high pressure timeshare salesmen...

Not everyone here is a"Always Buy insurance"proponent.

I bought it one time when it was a Austrailia cruise. Never used it

Been on several cruises never bought it. The money I saved is in my own travel insurance fund and could probably cover any loses I incur( no fund actually exists).

If I need to cancel a cruise it is not going to break me-I figure if you can afford to cruise you can afford not to cruise.

I have a small business here in NJ and am forced to buy all kinds of insurance. If I am given a choice I will always pass.

You can try to cover all bases but you never will.

This is my opinion and I know I am in the minority here, but I am not the only one.

Hi Harry,

Does you regular health insurance also cover international care and medical evacuations? As a business owner, perhaps you are able to select your own health insurance, and can assure that such coverage. If I had that, I would not buy travel insurance either. Like you, I am comfortable covering the cost f the trip. I am comfortable covering cost to interrupt the trip to return home should there be an emergency. But, I do not wish to face the potentially large bills that might result from a major medical issue while abroad, so I buy travel medical/evac insurance. I may also be in the minority here, but I am not the only one. I wish it were covered under my regular policy, as it would save me the trouble.

Why do people that don't pay for insurance, feel they are entitled to the same benefits as those that pay for it when a situation arises.

I guess for the same reason some people feel they are entitled to free health care, food, money, child care, cell phone, transportation, housing etc. I know I missed something!

Just for clarification, I was in no way upset or surprised when the cruise line didn't offer up the refund. But in the light of everything else happening so easily, it only cemented my opinion that while I do enjoy cruising, their business model is one step above shifty high pressure timeshare salesmen...

:confused:I have never been to a timeshare presentation. If timeshare salesman are really only one step below the cruiselines, perhaps timeshare guys are not so bad after all. I'm not in the timeshare market, but thanks for that info just the same.

Condolences on your loss.

Another case where "independent" media spins the story for "poor me". Tragic incident and it appears the cruise line made a very generous settlement when in fact they had no obligation to..........I hope this guy doesn't switch to Royal Caribbean! He needs to move to Carnival!

Another case where "independent" media spins the story for "poor me". Tragic incident and it appears the cruise line made a very generous settlement when in fact they had no obligation to..........I hope this guy doesn't switch to Royal Caribbean! He needs to move to Carnival!

Hitting the "LIKE" button.

He essentially wanted the rest of us to pick up his tab for not getting insurance.