White Star Experience Inquiry

alibabacruisers

Does anyone have experience with White Star in the following situation?

You get a quote (prior to the cruise) for shipping a bag home after the cruise and you choose not to book it. BUT then on board you see that they are offering White Star to ship your bag and decide to get a quote there.

My question is, if you did this, are the two quotes the same or is it more or less expensive?

I am trying to weigh up my options. I have got a quote for shipping a bag home after the cruise but decided adding the extra baggage for our flight was a better way to go. But if I somehow have more shopping than I anticipate:eek:, would the option of booking it on board be beneficial?

Hoping someone has some experience of this.:o

I checked pricing of shipping one bag back to U.S. from Southampton, and was given a range of prices since it is based on weight. The person I spoke with on the phone said it could easily be handled once we were onboard, no need to reserve ahead of time, and indeed it was. Interestingly, they had no scale and just took our word for the weight when we filled out the paperwork and paid. We did ask our steward beforehand if she could find us one of those portable luggage scales, just so we could make sure we weren't overweight. When we disembarked, there was just a cart to drop the luggage to be shipped, no representative from the shipping company (DHL at the time) or from Cunard, and no scale. I was a little leery about just leaving the bag there, but it arrived safe and sound. (We did eastbound transatlantic and were traveling for several weeks in England and Europe, so didn't want to haul around the bag with the dressy clothing we didn't need; had the bag shipped to our daughter's.)

I checked pricing of shipping one bag back to U.S. from Southampton, and was given a range of prices since it is based on weight. The person I spoke with on the phone said it could easily be handled once we were onboard, no need to reserve ahead of time, and indeed it was. Interestingly, they had no scale and just took our word for the weight when we filled out the paperwork and paid. We did ask our steward beforehand if she could find us one of those portable luggage scales, just so we could make sure we weren't overweight. When we disembarked, there was just a cart to drop the luggage to be shipped, no representative from the shipping company (DHL at the time) or from Cunard, and no scale. I was a little leery about just leaving the bag there, but it arrived safe and sound. (We did eastbound transatlantic and were traveling for several weeks in England and Europe, so didn't want to haul around the bag with the dressy clothing we didn't need; had the bag shipped to our daughter's.)

Was the price you checked initially the same as the price on the ship?

The pre-trip price and the onboard price were the same. I believe the pricing structure is determined to an extent by the shipping company. However, Cunard adds a hefty surcharge over what one would pay if shipping directly with the company. The cost differential was such that we seriously contemplated taking our bag to a local shipping office of UPS, Fedex, etc. in Southampton rather than shipping through Cunard. However, we decided the hassle wasn't worth it, and we wanted to get the earliest train we could to our next destination (Cornwall) from Southampton rather than spending time getting to the shipping office, then back to the train station, etc.

We always ship our baggage by courier but never use White Star as it can be over 5 times the price of the courier. The courier charges just under £100 to ship two cases from Glasgow to Southampton and return, White Star nearly £600!! It is a no brainer, as they say.

We always ship our baggage by courier but never use White Star as it can be over 5 times the price of the courier. The courier charges just under £100 to ship two cases from Glasgow to Southampton and return, White Star nearly £600!! It is a no brainer, as they say.

Do you have the name of the courier? Are they reliable? Can you book online? Thanks in anticipation. We have booked extra weight on the flight down to Southampton but wondering whether to send an extra case on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The company we use is 'carrymyluggage' and have always booked by 'phone. We travel down the day before our cruise and have our cases sent to the hotel we stay at overnight, they are always there waiting for us, BUT, we first make sure that the hotel is happy to accept them and store them until we arrive, which can be a difference of two or three days. After the cruise we take our cases back to the hotel and have them picked up from there and delivered home.

Hope this helps.