Trying to pack lighter - any tips?

txjudy54

For one thing, I now pack less fancy/cruise elegant clothes, just a few mix and match items for those two nights in the MDR. I have also learned over the years to pack less shoes. One reasonably nice pair for elegant night, one pair of walking shoes, and one good sandal (not flip flop) for walking on decks, or a beach. I always end up with clothes that I have not worn, so am gradually learning to pack less of it. I may even consider washing clothes in the laundry room once next cruise, rather than pack my case to the brim.

A few tips we've figured out...

Pills - Don't bring any big bottles. While the hard plastic cases that many people bring will work, an even lighter option are these small pill pouches that weigh almost nothing:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ezy-Dose-Disposable-Pill-Pouches-50-Ct/10318648

Just fill as many pills as you might need and write what they are on the pouch.

For laundry, it's kinda expensive on the ship. But some items you can do you own in the sink quite easily. Just bring a small travel bottle with some Woolite (or something similar). Wash items in the sink, rinse in the shower, and wring them out tightly. Then lay a dry bathroom towel flat on the bed and roll the items up for 15 minutes or so. The towel will suck 90% of the water out from both sides that way, and take most of the wrinkles out. Hang them and they're usually fully dry in a day. Works great for underpants, t-shirts, shorts, and other lighter items.

Not sure if anyone has suggested these tips, but I used to pack way too much and now I can use a carry on size for 7 day trips!

First, you don't need all those shoes. I casual pair of sandals (or flip flops), one pair on nice sandal/shoes for dinner and if you work out a pair of tennis shoes. Shoes take up a lot of room, so get rid of them.

Roll up all your clothes. I never believed it until I tried, but it really works.

Don't try to bring an outfit for each day. Most days you'll be wearing a bathing suit and a cover up. Instead of bringing a pair of shorts or pants for each day, bring just a couple pairs that go with more than one top.

Good luck and happy travels.

Not sure if anyone has suggested these tips, but I used to pack way too much and now I can use a carry on size for 7 day trips!

First, you don't need all those shoes. I casual pair of sandals (or flip flops), one pair on nice sandal/shoes for dinner and if you work out a pair of tennis shoes. Shoes take up a lot of room, so get rid of them.

Roll up all your clothes. I never believed it until I tried, but it really works.

Don't try to bring an outfit for each day. Most days you'll be wearing a bathing suit and a cover up. Instead of bringing a pair of shorts or pants for each day, bring just a couple pairs that go with more than one top.

Good luck and happy travels.

We used to always use vacuum bags but we still had the weight so we went to rolling and it works perfect. I can definitely fit in more t-shirts that way...lol

I make clothes do double duty, do my own laundry if possible. I never use a ship's laundry service as the dryers are too hot. I don't often buy souvenirs and rarely take formal clothes. One pair of black pumps, one pair of sneakers, and one pair of flip-flops is fine for me. One swimsuit, too. I don't roll, bundle or use space bags. Simply packing less means less compression and less wrinkles for me.

I take refillable travel sizes of my own toiletries and don't ever bring any shoe holders, extension cords, mobile devices, air fresheners, mini fans, clothes hampers, etc.

I have seen people bring on far more luggage for a 7-day cruise than I needed or wanted for a month in Australia.

Edited by Bookish Angel

After much travel the only way that we were able to get down to carry on was to buy carry on size bags and limit ourselves to that. It was not easy..especially the first time. Now we love it and it does not matter if we are going for one week or nine weeks.

We just realized a big benefit last week. We flew to Vienna with two stopovers. Our first flight was delayed because of snow in Calgary..so we missed the second flight. Having carry on vs checked luggage made re-routing fairly straightforward. It would have been a pain had we had to get luggage, etc, go the security for our second flight. And we had issues with the third flight. DW is now SOLD on this because we have experienced this on several trips.exper.

But it is not easy...lots of gnashing of teeth and some bad language. But we got there in the he end.

Good luck.

If you're female and going to tje Caribbean, wearing one piece dresses that also doubles up for evening wear can save alot space in one's luggage. Buy or bring your own cheap costume jewelry that looks nice plus nice pair of shoes and good to go.

Edited by maywell

Vacuum bags? Would have to borrow the attendent's vacuum to get it all back home.

Also, don't just throw doc kit/makeup bag in suitcase. Wife and I were both amazed at how much stuff we had in there that we would never need/use. It was more her than me, but I found 3 tubes of toothpaste, 4 hotel shampoos, 2 razers and 7 sample colognes. Stuff just accumulates in there if you travel much on business.

I keep an ongoing packing list from cruise to cruise. If I over/underpack anything, I tweak my list for next time. Otherwise I would have to re-think it every cruise.

There are two types of compression bags. Ones you roll and ones that need a vacuum.

To use the vacuum ones without a vacuum--

Open the cap, move the pliable stopper to expose the opening, squeeze/roll the bag. Quickly release the stopper, replace the cap.

Doesn't get quite a small as when using a vacuum but it works.