Travel Insurance Worth it?

Googz333

As has been noted, the price of travel insurance is based on many factors:

Age of insured

Length of travel

Cost of travel

Where you are traveling to

How many people in your party

Because of these factors, no one can say what cost is too much.

There are many good travel agents who can help you assess which company is best for purchasing your insurance for each trip. Please use them and be aware that purchasing from the travel supplier may not be the best option.

I would never travel without a travel insurance policy.

As has been noted, the price of travel insurance is based on many factors:

Age of insured

Length of travel

Cost of travel

Where you are traveling to

How many people in your party

Because of these factors, no one can say what cost is too much.

There are many good travel agents who can help you assess which company is best for purchasing your insurance for each trip. Please use them and be aware that purchasing from the travel supplier may not be the best option.

I would never travel without a travel insurance policy.

Travel agents are - hopefully - experienced with travel-related issues such as hotels, air, cruise, car rentals, excursions, group tours, etc.....

For insurance, you would probably be well advised at the least ALSO to check with those who specialize in travel insurance.

There are several, but we have personal experience, over time (and including advising on a relatively large claim), with

TripInsuranceStore.com

We always recommend CALLING them (or other similar vendors) and not just relying upon the all-too-brief summary/comparison charts on their websites. There is no way they can include "all the fine print".

ASK them about your particular concerns (medical? cancellation? weather disruption? evacuation? etc.)

Then compare this with whatever you've learned from your travel agent, to decide which is the best policy for your needs.

GeezerCouple

• 2 weeks later...

my cruise ins comes out to just under 400.00 for a 15 day cruise. that's about average. the trip interruption is the one needed also medivac. credit cards take care of everything else. my sister used princess travel ins when she passed out at the airport. princess ins reimbursed all but the ins price. my friends doctor said no cruise when she got pneumonia. princess ins paid all back but the ins. my cousin had open heart surgery an princess ins paid all back but the ins fee. my best bet is princess ins.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a cruise in December 2009. Good thing we had travel insurance!

A blizzard hit the northeast. First we were stranded in San Juan as our flight to Dulles was cancelled; then we were stranded at Dulles when no flights were going to Newark NJ; two hotels; several meals; an expensive cab ride from Dulles to DC; a train to NJ. We had trip delay and trip interruption. We got back all of the money thanks to travel insurance.

Who would have thought 2+ feet of snow in DC, Maryland, NJ, NY BEFORE Christmas!!!!!

Medical evacuation is my issue, if you are on a transatlantic and something happens, how do you know how much to try to insure for if you are medivac off say via helicopter?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

Medivac off the ship via helicopter is not the concern here. Or, I should say that it shouldn't be.

Performing such an evacuation takes hundreds of hours of specialized training and specialized equipment. Such that it is almost impractical for a For Profit air ambulance service to provide it.

This is why these services are almost always provided by a Government military and/or Coast Guard service. At no charge.

You better concern would be an air ambulance service that would return you to your home town for continued care if appropriate.

I'm from the US. If my travels take me to the Caribbean,,, I'm happy with $100K of medical evac. Europe or Asia,,,, I'd look for $500K to $1M coverage

That sounds very high, but the insurance rate is based on the total cost of the vacation. My company uses a very good insurance carrier for all our clients but we have negotiated those rates. In answer to your question, yes insurance is definitely well worth it, for the reason being: One cruise that I was on, a gentlemen ended up having to be airlifted off the ship, for them to come there, it is automatically $10,000 bill and that is added to your room statement, then the rest of the family had to wait to they go a port and then had to fly home, and the family did NOT have insurance. If you are using a Travel Agent and they are not recommending it, I would change, that is how strongly I feel about insurance!

That sounds very high, but the insurance rate is based on the total cost of the vacation. My company uses a very good insurance carrier for all our clients but we have negotiated those rates. In answer to your question, yes insurance is definitely well worth it, for the reason being: One cruise that I was on, a gentlemen ended up having to be airlifted off the ship, for them to come there, it is automatically $10,000 bill and that is added to your room statement, then the rest of the family had to wait to they go a port and then had to fly home, and the family did NOT have insurance. If you are using a Travel Agent and they are not recommending it, I would change, that is how strongly I feel about insurance!

Would be interested in hearing more information about this instance. Especially the when and where.

Had this been a cruise in or around the North America region, there would not have been any costs to the passenger to be evacuated from the ship. Either the US Coast Guard or the Canadian Coast Guard would have provided this service at no charge to the passenger.

If there are areas around the world where this service is NOT provided by a Govt coast guard or eqivalant, many of us would be interested to know.