menu favorites

joeyancho

Looking forward to our first Princess cruise. Dining is a big part of why I cruise. Maybe some veterans could tell me what your favorites are in the MDR and at the buffet. Don't want to miss any great dishes. Thanks in advance.

Edited by joeyancho

Starter - double baked goats cheese soufflé yum yum

Always available dessert in main dining room. - Creme brûlée and New York cheesecake are good

The soups on the MDR menu are really excellent

I agree with the goat cheese soufflé, I never knew I liked goat cheese!

also agree with dessert, yummm.

I find the soups good but salty.

the always available fettucine alfredo topped with a salmon breast and veggies on the side is my go-to back up plan and often my first choice. oh sadly, how I love the white food group.

I don't eat much red meat at home as I tend to over or undercook it, so I eat a lot of red meat on board...oh! and the seafood...shrimp, scallops, prawns...I can't pick a favourite dish!

We agree with all of the posters: we like the crab quiche with salsa appetizer, green lipped mussels with wine sauce, shrimp diabolo, rack of lamb. For dessert, if you want something light, try any of the sorbets: made on board and interesting flavors. Of course, lobster tail and its huge partner shrimp are very yummy...order at least two!

The eggplant appetizer on Italian night in the MDR. The meatloaf (yes, I love it!) Any of the shrimp dishes. Always available salmon. Cheese ravioli (usually at lunch in the MDR.) Any of the meatball dishes in the buffet. Tuna sandwich at IC. Custard filled donuts at IC. Warm passion fruit souflee in the MDR.

Every night in the MDR Princess has a couple of pasta side dishes listed in the left side of the menu. Fettucine Alfredo is always there. Ask them to have it in a parmesan bowl. It's yummy. I also love Veal Bowtie Pasta served once during the cruise. I could have two sides and make it my entrée.:):):)

I love the shrimp salad in the International Café. Very refreshing to have as a snack when you come back from port.

Many, many others but thought I would list just a few.

Looking forward to our first Princess cruise. Dining is a big part of why I cruise. Maybe some veterans could tell me what your favorites are in the MDR and at the buffet. Don't want to miss any great dishes. Thanks in advance.

1st night of the cruise only in any of the dining rooms(maybe not the specialty i.e. Crown Grill) get the flourless chocolate cake,one of my favorites.:)

Edited by arizonaperson

Appetizers:

Goat Cheese Souffle

Eggplant Parmiagiana

Entrees:

Bow-Tie Pasta w/Veal

Rockfish

Always-Available Salmon

Desserts:

Love Boat Dream [chocolate dessert]

Key Lime Pie

Menage a Trois

Lunch: Salad bar in the buffet

Lunch dessert: sugar-free Cappuccino Cake/Tart

International Cafe: Chicken Salad

From anywhere on the ship they're offered: Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm SO looking forward to the goat cheese souffle! I can't even explain how much...

It's probably been mentioned before, but you can order an appetizer portion of the Fettuccini Alfredo,.You need to request the Parmesan basket with it, it's not included in the small portion.

Most of the cold soups in MDR

The lobster & prawns on formal night - usually have 2 servings.

If there is nothing I like on the right side of the menu there is always something I love on the stable left side of the menu (always the same).

Lunch in the MDR

Afternoon Tea in MDR

Hard bit is working to make sure you don't gain weight on the long voyages.;)

Here are some of my favorite Princess menu items:

8668192832_cf9fed6e39_n.jpg

Pecan butterscotch tart

8667761152_bdabce6c0d_n.jpg

Fettuccine Alfredo: appetizer portion

(As others have noted, the appetizer portion does not come with the Parmesan bowl unless you specifically request it. The above photo was taken when my wife forgot to make that request.) Unfortunately, it seems that Princess sometimes has a problem with consistency when making this dish, so it doesn't always fulfill my high expectations. Sometimes even when I have ordered the Parmesan bowl, it's hardly noticeable.

8667706966_d66100b488_n.jpg

Orange Soufflé

(This typically has been a dessert option at the embarkation lunch, but I'm not sure if it is still on their embarkation menu, which seems to have recently undergone some changes.)

I actually found that I enjoyed some of the soups more at the International Café than in the MDR.

At the buffet, every day I enjoyed their selection of cheeses, along with lox and capers. There were lots of other interesting options (which I don't recall at the moment) that changed day by day, but the cheeses, lox and capers were almost always there. That might seem like an odd favorite, but it was something to which I looked forward.

Tim

See more of our cruise photos on Flickr

Edited by terrific_surprise