Sand & perfume.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, nothing came up in my search.

I would like to make a jar with sand from everywhere we go (noumea, mare, mystery island & vila). Not a lot just a snack bag amount and i was wondering if I would have trouble bringing it back in.

Also i hear Vila is great for duty free, do they have much perfume?

Thank you.

Jasmine Prentice

I don't know about the jars of sand being allowed back into Australia

It may pay to declare them on your re-entry customs form and they may or may not be too bothered about them. If you don't declare them and they find them and the sand is not allowed in then you WILL be in strife with customs. Always safer to declare any doubtful items on you customs form

Vila is VERY GOOD for duty free shopping, especially liquor I dont know about perfumes though It pays to note the price of the perfume you want at home before you go then compare the prices with the duty free shop on the ship and then further compare prices in Vila. If it is cheaper in Vila get it there but you can get it back on the ship if the ship's prices are lower tha Vila We have found that Clinique products are reasonably priced on the ship; better than home prices anyway

Have a good cruise

John

This isn't advice as I'm not sure, but I think it would be okay AQIS wise. It'd need to be pristine sand only though, no organic matter e.g. soil, nor any sealife (closed shells, or anything bigger).

That said, places don't like you taking their environment away, the old 'take only memories, leave only footprints.'

It may pay to declare them on your re-entry customs form and they may or may not be too bothered about them. If you don't declare them and they find them and the sand is not allowed in then you WILL be in strife with customs. Always safer to declare any doubtful items on you customs form

Good advice for any thing being brought back.:D

That said, places don't like you taking their environment away, the old 'take only memories, leave only footprints

With global warming and sea levels rising , I would imagine the "Islands" would want to hold on to as much land as they have left .

I would concur with Kiwi Kruzer re the old addage of taking only photos and memories and leaving the places you visit unspoiled.

But also - the AQIS website is extremely specific as to what will be confiscated:

<<<<<gifts, ornaments and toys filled with straw, plant matter, sand or soil.>>>>

I had a glass paperweight with a tiny bit of soil and a flower fully sealed in a blob of glass from Italy - confiscated because technically it could be smashed and the soil and flower could potentially contain diseases not found in Aus agriculture.

While I do agree with not taking things from places you visit, there is so much sand washed in and out with storms, not sure if your few baggies are going to be much different to eating food from a stall on the islands. Just my opinion.

If it is something that interests you, I agree, declare it, and if you get knocked back, not a big issue.

I agree with a previous poster regarding perfume, know your home prices, say from some of the discount chemists etc., and check the ship, and then you will know if the price is a bargain. I would also say watch out for genuine or non genuine perfumes. Don't know if there is a fake market for perfumes, but it is not much of a bargain if it is rubbish.

I agree with a previous poster regarding perfume, know your home prices, say from some of the discount chemists etc., and check the ship, and then you will know if the price is a bargain. I would also say watch out for genuine or non genuine perfumes. Don't know if there is a fake market for perfumes, but it is not much of a bargain if it is rubbish.

LOL, :D

Years ago my brother bought a bottle of HUGO BOSS from Thailand for about $10 AUD, turned out it was HUGO BOOS and he hadn't looked at the name properly. Still smelt ok though.;)

Edited by MicCanberra

LOL, :D

Years ago my brother bought a bottle of HUGO BOSS from Thailand for about $10 AUD, turned out it was HUGO BOOS and he hadn't looked at the name properly. Still smelt ok though.;)

Earlier this year I bought some 'knock-off' Chanel No. 5 in Bali for $5. It smells like the original, but usually the 'knock-offs' don't have the proper fixative (or whatever the correct term is). Apparently this is the expensive part of normal fragrances.

Earlier this year I bought some 'knock-off' Chanel No. 5 in Bali for $5. It smells like the original, but usually the 'knock-offs' don't have the proper fixative (or whatever the correct term is). Apparently this is the expensive part of normal fragrances.

That would make scents:p

Culturally it is not appropriate to remove any soil/sand from places in Australia as the land has great significance for the traditional owners. As I work in this area, I am very aware of the bond and the importance placed on land and the feeling that it has been desecrated if removed by a tourist.

I am not sure what the situation would be on Pacific Islands but suggest you should check beforehand.

That said, I have no idea if Biosecurity Australia (who have responsibility for all quarantine) would allow you to bring it in.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, nothing came up in my search.

I would like to make a jar with sand from everywhere we go (noumea, mare, mystery island & vila). Not a lot just a snack bag amount and i was wondering if I would have trouble bringing it back in.

Also i hear Vila is great for duty free, do they have much perfume?

Thank you.

Here is the link that Perfectly Perth was attaching (I think) there are phone numbers here you can ring - doesn't hurt to qualify rather than guess

http://daff.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/cant-take

Here is the link that Perfectly Perth was attaching (I think) there are phone numbers here you can ring - doesn't hurt to qualify rather than guess

http://daff.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/cant-take

Good link, a phone call may be best.

This extract is from the website.

•used sporting and camping equipment including tents, footwear, hiking boots, golf equipment and bicycles (need to be checked to ensure they are clean and free from soil contamination)

•used freshwater watercraft or fishing equipment including rods and nets, waders, kayaks, paddles and life jackets

I would assume that sand may well sit along with soil contamination. Best to check.:D

Edited by MicCanberra