CAMERA - Anyone Bought one onboard in the shops?

Mekamax

Was thinking of getting a camera while onboard so checked the cameras, got the model #'s etc then checked amazon @ found better pricing for the same cameras.

Also checked prices in St. Thomas and they were pretty close to the amazon prices and better than onboard.

What I've found is that the great deals on board are based on the MSRP which no one sells a camera for these days so the discount isn't that great.

Did buy a camera onboard the QM2 a few years back because had NR OBC that was use it or lose it. The camera lasted 13 months then died & wasn't worth repairing.

The only way to know if you are getting a good deal is to compare prices.

I agree. Amazon prices are better. I compared specific models, using my iPad, while onboard.

If you forgot or lost your camera, and need one immediately, that is different. But if you just want a good deal, I like Amazon.

The ship's usually carry a nice selection of cameras. My wife takes her photography seriously and would only buy one on the ship if both of her cameras broke or got lost.

You may want to buy a camera several days before your cruise. It would give you time to test it and get used to the different functions and modes so you could use your new camera to the best advantage.

Have a great cruise.

Very good advice. Nobody ever thinks of that. All they think about is scoring a good deal. With the internet at our finger tips good deals on cruise ships and at ports of call are far and few between.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of underwater camera are you looking for? Do your research- you may find that a better camera and an underwater housing might be a good choice, or you might be happy with a sports type camera you can get anywhere. Is it going to be a primary camera, does it just need a shallow limit for snorkeling or do you plan to go deeper for scuba diving? Also consider the light source- the quickest way to improve an underwater photo is with light! Good luck in your choice!

DW hung her jacket and camera up in a restaurant's bathroom in Edinburgh, Scotland. The camera fell, and no longer worked.

It turned out that the camera itself was not broken, but the lens was. She bought a new lens onboard. When we got home, I looked at some ads for Nikon lenses, and the price she paid was competitive.

The crew member in the photo shop was also very helpful in helping her learn the functions of the new lens. (It was a better lens then she previously had.) And he did this despite being quite busy selling pictures.

I sat on my camera (it had the lens open) in Orkney on our British isles Cruise this past summer. It was a Nikon. Had two other Nikons which also had drops. So invested in the Coolpix underwater and drop proof camera aboard. I do not regret the purchase although I could have saved a few dollars shopping around. As a result I had a spare battery always charged and the new camera took decent pictures.

I bought one on the Royal Princess. I just had to have it !! Saw it the next day in port for $100 less !! My DH liked it so much he bought one from Amazon when we got home & got a much better deal than I did, But I love it and got some great pictures. DH tried to talk me out of buying it, but I had to have it right then..