Canada-New England question

cruisersMandW

Would some of you locals comment on the typical weather in Canada/New England in early to mid May? We'll be going to Charleston, Newport, Bar Harbour, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Iles de la Madeleine, Gaspe, Saguenay, Quebec City and Montreal.

I think this cruise would be before hurricane season but might we be subject to Nor'easters or any other storms? Or is this generally a relatively "safe" time to do a repo cruise? Yes, I realize that there are no weather guarantees. I'm not looking for a guarantee but a typical May if there is such a thing (there isn't where I live).

Would some of you locals comment on the typical weather in Canada/New England in early to mid May? We'll be going to Charleston, Newport, Bar Harbour, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Iles de la Madeleine, Gaspe, Saguenay, Quebec City and Montreal.

Cold and rainy at this end of New England (your Newport stop). We are advised not to plant until the last danger of frost is past, and that's Memorial Day weekend here.

There's no danger or hurricanes, though. It's still well before official hurricane season, which is 2-3 months before we have to start thinking about hurricanes. August-mid-October is the "real" hurricane season here.

May in Montreal is generally beautiful. If the sun is out then you can feel the heat but won't have the humidity that (except for this summer) is normal in July and August. The strong winds pick up in June and we are on tornado watch for that month where I live on Ontario but, again, normally the rains are more in April and May is beautiful.

April in Montreal...:(:mad::( I hated it growing up. Sniffing that defrosting dog poop makes for a real unpleasant environment. Lets hope Montrealers have learned to scoop the poop!

Cold and rainy at this end of New England (your Newport stop). We are advised not to plant until the last danger of frost is past, and that's Memorial Day weekend here.

There's no danger or hurricanes, though. It's still well before official hurricane season, which is 2-3 months before we have to start thinking about hurricanes. August-mid-October is the "real" hurricane season here.

^^ Ditto for Boston.

I rarely do any planting before Memorial Day.

Edited by sail7seas

Hi

Weather has been all over from warm to cold. Had to put heat on. Its been cold at night. IN 30's. Its nice the weather always gives my town how cold/warm and such. If you going this week or next colors are peaking. Early than usual dress in layers. Also rain gear. I live South of Boston

Mary

My neighbor has the most gorgeous red and yellow maple trees and they are just barely starting to turn now. I'm north of Boston. It's a least a week to 10 days to peak around here.

My late DH and I rode to NH one fall day and spent hours looking for fabulous tree color. We came home after having enjoyed but when we looked in our neighbors yard' date=' saw the prettiest trees we'd seen all day. We never did the road trip again. :) :D

[/b']

I think this cruise would be before hurricane season but might we be subject to Nor'easters or any other storms? Or is this generally a relatively "safe" time to do a repo cruise? Yes, I realize that there are no weather guarantees. I'm not looking for a guarantee but a typical May if there is such a thing (there isn't where I live).

This may is difficult as it can be high 20's days c or low teens night time. Usually no nor'easter unless large storm front comes up through New England. Once you get past charlottetown you may need an extra hoodie as the cold water is there until you get past Saguenay. Good time to do a Cruise. It would be Apple Blossom time in the Annapolis valley.

Edited by Folk Singer

This may is difficult as it can be high 20's days c or low teens night time. Usually no nor'easter unless large storm front comes up through New England. Once you get past charlottetown you may need an extra hoodie as the cold water is there until you get past Saguenay. Good time to do a Cruise. It would be Apple Blossom time in the Annapolis valley.

Sounds like here at home!:D We hadn't thought about Apple Blossom time! Hopefully, we'll have time to get into the valley to see them.

Thank you!