Pools on Eclipse Norweigan Fjords cruise - too cold?

Chrissiejames

Hi there

I am considering a cruise to the Norweigan Fjords (first time cruise) next summer. The Celebrity Eclipse only has outdoor pools for children. They advise that the temperature of the pool is between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit which seems very cool.

Does anyone have any comments on the use of outdoor pools on the Fjords cruise - ie does anyone actually use them? Also does anyone have any specific experience of this issue on celebrity Eclipse?

Also, someone suggested that there may be times that children can use the indoor pool - does anyone know it that is true?

Thank you for any replies.

CJ

Chrissiejames,

We went on a different ship (Constellation) to the Norwegian fjords this past July but would think your experience may be similar to ours. As one who is a fan of warm Caribbean waters, the pool was too cool for me personally. I noticed the only ones using the outdoor pool during our trip were the hearty: kids! There were also a few adults swimming but if I had to guess, they were from cooler climates and were just grateful to be able to swim.

There is an indoor pool but during our cruise, it was limited to adults, with the exception of the 5-7 pm range when kids/familes were welcome. Of course, this always conflicted with our dining times so we were never able to take advantage of it.

There were hot tubs in use so you could always enjoy those if the temperatures don't cooperate on your trip.

Also - on our particular sailing, the age skewed to a much older group/elderly crowd. Despite the summer timing, we had few children but my son didn't mind as that meant he could have more personal time w/the counselors in the fun factory and more video/gaming opportunities!

I did a review of all the ports we visited which you may find helpful in planning if you choose to go. Just do a search for "food allergy warning" plus "Norweigian fjords" and you should find it.

Hope you have an opportunity to go - Norway is a beautiful and active destination.

Hi there cruzers j&n

Thank you so much for your reply. And I just read your really helpful review.

I am unsure about doing a cruise at all (my parents really want us to join them on what would be their first cruise too).

My kids will be 10 and 12 and I'm wondering if they will find the cruise boring. And I'm wondering if we (me and hubby) will hate the "organised fun" side of things. Your smelly bathroom put me right off!

Also, I am a bit confused about the booking - is it best to use an agent or book direct with Celebrity? I am finding their website a bit frustrating in that there are no details of port excursions and I'm finding much more information on this website!

Thank you for all your help.

CJ

Hi there cruzers j&n Thank you so much for your reply. And I just read your really helpful review. I am unsure about doing a cruise at all (my parents really want us to join them on what would be their first cruise too). My kids will be 10 and 12 and I'm wondering if they will find the cruise boring. And I'm wondering if we (me and hubby) will hate the "organised fun" side of things. Your smelly bathroom put me right off! Also, I am a bit confused about the booking - is it best to use an agent or book direct with Celebrity? I am finding their website a bit frustrating in that there are no details of port excursions and I'm finding much more information on this website! Thank you for all your help. CJ

Hi, CJ!! Welcome to these Cruise Critic Boards. As detailed below, my live/blog shares much for the amazing beauty of Norway, its scenic coast, etc. We were there in July and it is NOT the Caribbean!!! Same goes for the Baltics/Russia. These northern Europe area are much cooler, even during their summers.

And children?? Not sure. Clearly I don't know your kids and their interests. Tell us more on your kids, what they like to do and see.

KEY NORWAY COAST QUESTION: Another major challenge is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Added questions and info needs?? Happy to share more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 159,786 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi CJ,

Firstly, yes, I would highly recommend using a TA. The cruise will not cost you any more money than booking directly with X, except they do the leg work for your trip. That may not sound like a lot but this will spare you the frustrations of trying to get thru a call center, especially to ask about cabins or dining reservations. Also, many TAs will offer some type of additional perk (perhaps an onboard credit) so you can always ask.

Re the boredom question, I had the same EXACT concern...not just for my 8 yr old but also for my husband, who is anti-cold climates. Neither of them really wanted to go so I was completely outnumbered and was starting to even worry I made a very big and costly mistake. To boot, none of us are real nature enthusiasts but when we got there - wow! Even we were really impressed with Norway's scenery, and guess what? We all enjoyed it as well. We tried to vary our excursions so it didn't get repetitive. After a while, the waterfalls - as stunning as they are - start looking the same, lol! So that's why we purposely chose a different activity for each port of call.

If I'm not mistaken, I think X goes to Norway using the S-class ships next year and if that is the ship you will be taking, they really look beautiful (only have been on Constellation) and I would think would have more variety of entertainment than on an M-class ship. X does try its best to offer something for everyone so I'm sure your family will find some things that you'd all enjoy. If you can get a larger group of family/friends to tag along, even better!

I think the best advice I can offer is to set your expectations properly. If you're looking for a Mediterranean style of cruise, Norway is not it. But it will offer you grand and majestic scenery which is a very humbling experience. Also, the Norwegians were extremely friendly.

p.s. I just recently read about this little known outdoor park in Oslo where kids can have loads of fun (I think it offers ziplining!!). I'll try to find where I saw it and post back the name. Your kids may also like the experience of visiting Oslo's ice bar. Believe it or not, we got so distracted w/other sightseeing that we forgot to visit!!:(

Hi Terry - I saw your recent post to CJ and I've been meaning to tell you that I love reading about your trips and your photos are just downright amazing!! They make mine look embarrassing! I think X should hire you to lead one of their photo courses!

Now back to CJ's Norway trip... :)