Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

I have a question..

Last time we were in Blu, before heading out for our port day, we went to breakfast. My husband wears tshirt, flip flops and shorts... and a baseball cap to boot!

My question is, is this allowed? No one ever mentioned anything when we arrived. And most people were dressed in the same attire. Is this dress code strictly for evenings?

As well, he really does hate wearing anything but flip flops. A nice leather pair but still a flip flop. He also wants to wear them in the evening. With his golf shirt and pants. Is that not acceptable either because I am sure he did it last time.

I have a question..

Last time we were in Blu, before heading out for our port day, we went to breakfast. My husband wears tshirt, flip flops and shorts... and a baseball cap to boot!

My question is, is this allowed? No one ever mentioned anything when we arrived. And most people were dressed in the same attire. Is this dress code strictly for evenings?

As well, he really does hate wearing anything but flip flops. A nice leather pair but still a flip flop. He also wants to wear them in the evening. With his golf shirt and pants. Is that not acceptable either because I am sure he did it last time.

Breakfast and lunch beach attire is fine......evening not so much.... though it does happen:eek:

This is all very helpful, but when I was on Equinox in March, they allowed several men wearing shorts into the MDR on formal night. I'm not big on dressing up, but I find that to be a real shame.

We are cruising on Summit over Thanksgiving next month. We're wondering how many formal nights to plan for? Thanks in advance!

Karilyn & Mark ������

from Central, VA

Hi KPKRUISER,

Formal Nights are based on how many nights the cruise is long.

If you have not already, I suggest you check out / read the FAQs that are found on Celebrity's Website in the Already Booked Section. The answer to Formal Nights is there, as well as a lot of other general info you'll probably want to know

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We are cruising on Summit over Thanksgiving next month. We're wondering how many formal nights to plan for? Thanks in advance!

Karilyn & Mark 🌞🌴🌊

from Central, VA

One week cruise is 2 formal nights, usually the 2nd night and then the 2nd to last night.

10 or 11 night cruises at least 2

Two weeks are 3, same as above plus one more inbetween the other two.

Hi KPKRUISER,

Formal Nights are based on how many nights the cruise is long.

If you have not already, I suggest you check out / read the FAQs that are found on Celebrity's Website in the Already Booked Section. The answer to Formal Nights is there, as well as a lot of other general info you'll probably want to know

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions

Cheers!

Thank you Sloop John B! I had not found this area on their website. I found exactly what I was looking for in the FAQs. Thanks again!

Karilyn & Mark 🌞🌴🌊

from Central, VA

we are cruising on summit over thanksgiving next month. We're wondering how many formal nights to plan for? Thanks in advance!

Karilyn & mark

from central, va

Plan for 2.

Edited by Lois R

We are Elite Plus members and have had many dining experiences on several of Celebrity's ships...The enforcement varies....However, we have decided to never carry formal wear because of luggage limitations (coming from Oregon to Europe,etc) and we just go to the specialty restaurants on formal nights. We wear smart casual and, if there is a problem, they discreetly give my husband a jacket, etc. We have never had a problem and everything is quietly negotiable...We never want to create a "problem" and others should learn the same thing.

We are currently packing for our cruise next week... and one thing has confused me in the 'what should I pack' section of 'GETTING READY' it states:

"Women should wear trousers or skirts that cover the knees..."

This was a sentence after visiting museums and mosques, so I am unsure if it relates to that, or if they mean in general on the boat (formal/smart casual), as the whole paragraph is weird.

I love to wear dresses and skirts, most of which are above the knees. I don't want to get into the sitation where I pack a lot of dresses, and am then politely told I shouldn't wear them.

Sorry if this is a lame question... we are first timers and just want to prevent any issues :)

We are currently packing for our cruise next week... and one thing has confused me in the 'what should I pack' section of 'GETTING READY' it states:

"Women should wear trousers or skirts that cover the knees..."

This was a sentence after visiting museums and mosques, so I am unsure if it relates to that, or if they mean in general on the boat (formal/smart casual), as the whole paragraph is weird.

I love to wear dresses and skirts, most of which are above the knees. I don't want to get into the sitation where I pack a lot of dresses, and am then politely told I shouldn't wear them.

Sorry if this is a lame question... we are first timers and just want to prevent any issues :)

It's only for shore excursions when visiting churches, temples, mosques etc. On board it's as casual as you like except when eating in the restaurants or visiting the theatre. Even then, shorter skirts are very common. You have nothing to worry about.

I came here with two questions, but seems like you guys answered my "are Jeans allowed on non formal nights."

My other dress code question: We like to eat breakfast in the MDR(s). I thought I read no t shirts ever in MDR. no t shirts even at breakfast?

I came here with two questions, but seems like you guys answered my "are Jeans allowed on non formal nights."

My other dress code question: We like to eat breakfast in the MDR(s). I thought I read no t shirts ever in MDR. no t shirts even at breakfast?

Its more like no muscle shirts/wife beater t shirts in the MDR for Breakfast and Lunch, a nice t shirt with your shorts is fine though not for dinner. BUT that said you will usually see some schmuck wearing one at dinner. :D

Some background ,I work in the oil and gas industry ,its dirty.

However I travel for work alot 100 + days per year and my normal day wear is jeans ,boots and shirts .I do however always travel with a suit and the excuse about weight does not stack up.

A suit is a highly versatile piece of kit for a man ,you can wear the pants with an option neck shirt (smart casual) wear the jacket with your jeans on the plane ( the nice flight attendent will normally hang it up for you) wear the whole outfit jacket ,pants ,shirt tie if you wish and you are good for any social event

Come on people its not that hard and if you are in Europe or the middle east and you turnup like you are going to Burger King its going to look stupid.

What exactly is smart casual? I know what formal is but this smart casual seems to lead to a wide variance.

Yes, it does vary quite a lot. My opinion is that smart casual is whatever YOU think it is so long as it is within the explicit limitations that Celebrity specify (e.g. no shorts, ripped jeans etc).

In my zone of travel suit or dress casual pants ,not jeans with a collared shirt and dress shoes or boots.

I guess the real point is a good fitting suit is a versitile item for any mans wardrobe and not really a burden to travel with ,it gives you alot of options .

Whereas I would say jeans and a collared shirt with clean shoes is sufficient. To me any sort of suit would be way overdressed for smart casual.

Again, this is part of the issue with Celebrity that I have been discovering....first of all the slam toward Carnival was just tacky and uncalled for. Secondly, a lot of people scrimp and save to have a nice vacation and would rather spend their money on excursions rather than investing it in a tux or evening ball gown that they will most likely only wear once. It's snobs who think everybody should spend $500 on a dress so that other people in the dining room can feel important is beyond ridiculous and this is the exact attitude that gives Celebrity a bad name. My husband always wears a suit on formal night no matter what cruise line we are on, and I always wear a cocktail dress, on the other nights he wears dockers and a collared shirt and I wear a dress or pants suit, it's what we choose to wear and I can honestly say I have NEVER noticed what anybody else around me is wearing because what they wear has no reflection on me...how I judge them says everything about me! TWIW, we also have cruises booked on Oceana, Princess and Carnival. I read all of the CC boards, but Celebrity is the only board that has such stuck up snobs that for some reason want to feel superior to others. I just don't get it.

Hi Everybody,

Just wondered if Polo shirt (not full sleeve) with smart jeans and shoes is ok for smart casual. It says the shirt should have sleeves. Does this mean a full sleeve? I think a Polo shirt with jeans/chinos is quite smart.

Many thanks,

Shilu

Hi Everybody,

Just wondered if Polo shirt (not full sleeve) with smart jeans and shoes is ok for smart casual. It says the shirt should have sleeves. Does this mean a full sleeve? I think a Polo shirt with jeans/chinos is quite smart.

Many thanks,

Shilu

Totally fine

Again, this is part of the issue with Celebrity that I have been discovering....first of all the slam toward Carnival was just tacky and uncalled for. Secondly, a lot of people scrimp and save to have a nice vacation and would rather spend their money on excursions rather than investing it in a tux or evening ball gown that they will most likely only wear once. It's snobs who think everybody should spend $500 on a dress so that other people in the dining room can feel important is beyond ridiculous and this is the exact attitude that gives Celebrity a bad name. My husband always wears a suit on formal night no matter what cruise line we are on, and I always wear a cocktail dress, on the other nights he wears dockers and a collared shirt and I wear a dress or pants suit, it's what we choose to wear and I can honestly say I have NEVER noticed what anybody else around me is wearing because what they wear has no reflection on me...how I judge them says everything about me! TWIW, we also have cruises booked on Oceana, Princess and Carnival. I read all of the CC boards, but Celebrity is the only board that has such stuck up snobs that for some reason want to feel superior to others. I just don't get it.

You'll absolutely find "stuck up snobs" everywhere you look, but it is very difficult to accurately read someone's attitude from mere words on a computer screen. If you haven't seen them on other cruise forums, you haven't looked hard enough :)

From what I understand, of the three cruises you have booked on other lines, only Princess still has "formal" nights. Oceana did away with them completely, and Carnival has a toned-down version. I was recently on NCL, and they have two "dress up or not" nights, but definitely not "formal" nights.

For what it's worth, MOST people will agree with you and your idea of formal nights.

We have no intention of bringing a tux or evening gown, but absolutely will have a nice suit and cocktail-type dress for formal nights.

Live and let live - as long as I don't have to see folks with jeans and t-shirts in the main dining room on formal nights :)

Edited by DinaS

What exactly is smart casual? I know what formal is but this smart casual seems to lead to a wide variance.

Hi Everybody,

Many thanks,

Shilu

Smart Casual... Is clearly covered by Celebrity in their Documentation (and in this topic back on Pg 1 in the OP)

Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves. [/Quote]

I have found that most men choose to wear Dockers or some sort of relaxed pants (chinos, dark jeans) that are clean & in good repair (a nod to that requirement of no holes, rips or tears)

Shirts with sleeves, just means no sleeveless tank tops / undershirts (aka what is known in NA as a "wife beater"... Not terrible correct in nomaclature, but it is what is often called). Suitable choices for most men are Golf Shirts, Polos, Casual Shirts (long sleeved or short).

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB