Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Not good advice, You are telling someone not to bring a jackets which may cause them to be denied entry to the Main dining room. As I said, not good advice at all. Have seen dress code enforced many times in Caribbean on Celebrity.

Same here. It's not like the MDR is at 85 degrees. The code is in the brochure & pax are expected to follow it. If they can't/won't then there's always the lines like NCL/Carnival where style/proper dress take a back seat.

I just don't understand what the hubbub is about formal wear. It is a cruising tradition that should be expected and enjoyed. And I have seen people turned away if not properly attired.

Because there are a percentage of people that don't want to dress up and regardless of the actual cruise line policy won't let it go. I think if the policy dropped down to shorts and a tee shirt there would still be some stating they should be allowed into a formal nigh in a pair of speedos.

We are in AQ - We are planning to request on boarding, that we can dine in the MDR on our three formal nights.

The flight/luggage excuse does not wear with me. We travel Scotland (three hours by car to airport and have to overnight pre flights) to Amsterdam to Barcelona, then fly home Miami to Heathrow to Glasgow

We manage to bring 3 x 23kg + 2 x 10kg bags plus my purse.

I am also going on another cruise directly after this one - a relaxed NCL so wont be wearing our formals on that (did I add that to my journey, yeah off at Fort Lauderdale - haul luggage in taxi to Miami and I board another ship)

"smart casual" to us, is myself in a cocktail length dress, husband in smart trousers and designer style Italian shirt, I will at my most casual, wear heels, skinny black jeans - and a stylish top.

My skinny jeans are latticed and black - more like trousers I guess - THEY WEIGH MORE than my evening dresses - so I just don't get the "luggage excuse" - whats the issue here? If you don't want to go formal - fine - not a problem - just go eat where ever the smart casual code applies. And if you cant afford to pay for the odd meal then you cant afford to cruise either!

We have extra luggage allowance on our upgraded BA flight returning, but our flights out is KLM - so I had to pay £32 to but an extra luggage case - £32 - its NOTHING - If we can pay out thousands for a cruise what on earth would there be to moan about paying £32 and its a tiny price to pay for me to bring my beloved shoes - which I never get to wear at home and enjoy - a mere drop in the ocean! Don't be so miserable people - I watched one video of a guy who packed into this carry on bag ugh?? WHY?? I don't get it I really don't. Thousands for a cruise and people whinge about paying for a piece of luggage.. The mind boggles..

Formal - we are all out there. Kilt or/and Trews and full Highland for my husband - full evening length dress for me. I take accessories to match my husbands two tartans.

We have our cousin with us, he will also be kilted up - he cannot join us in AQ of course, but we will join him on formal nights.

I think for those who do not wish to dress up on formal nights there are plenty of dining options -

Any man who whinges about wearing a TUX - has never worn a kilt - THAT takes quite a lot of work to dress. My husband's question is should he or should he not take his plaid (an over the shoulder long plaid, held on by a brooch, which makes the outfit more formal) .. It is considered - full regalia..

Although - there is one part which Scots men love of course, and is totally casual ...

Do they or do they not go commando? Always the Question ;)

And men - let me tell you this - ANY man looks much sexier in a Tux, DJ, Kilt etc than he does in dockers and polo -don't care what shape or size he is, he will always win the woman/man with a bow tie!

We are in AQ - We are planning to request on boarding, that we can dine in the MDR on our three formal nights.

The flight/luggage excuse does not wear with me. We travel Scotland (three hours by car to airport and have to overnight pre flights) to Amsterdam to Barcelona, then fly home Miami to Heathrow to Glasgow

I am also going on another cruise directly after this one - a relaxed NCL so wont be wearing our formals on that (did I add that to my journey, yeah off at Fort Lauderdale - haul luggage in taxi to Miami and I board another ship)

"smart casual" to us, is myself in a cocktail length dress, husband in smart trousers and designer style Italian shirt, I will at my most casual, wear heels, skinny black jeans - and a stylish top.

My skinny jeans are latticed and black - more like trousers I guess - THEY WEIGH MORE than my evening dresses - so I just don't get the "luggage excuse" - whats the issue here? If you don't want to go formal - fine - not a problem - just go eat where ever the smart casual code applies. And if you cant afford to pay for the odd meal then you cant afford to cruise either!

We have extra luggage allowance on our upgraded BA flight returning, but our flights out is KLM - so I had to pay £32 to but an extra luggage case - £32 - its NOTHING - If we can pay out thousands for a cruise what on earth would there be to moan about paying £32 and its a tiny price to pay for me to bring my beloved shoes - which I never get to wear at home and enjoy - a mere drop in the ocean! Don't be so miserable people - I watched one video of a guy who packed into this carry on bag ugh?? WHY?? I don't get it I really don't. Thousands for a cruise and people whinge about paying for a piece of luggage.. The mind boggles..

Formal - we are all out there. Kilt or/and Trews and full Highland for my husband - full evening length dress for me. I take accessories to match my husbands two tartans.

We have our cousin with us, he will also be kilted up - he cannot join us in AQ of course, but we will join him on formal nights.

I think for those who do not wish to dress up on formal nights there are plenty of dining options -

Any man who whinges about wearing a TUX - has never worn a kilt - THAT takes quite a lot of work to dress. My husband's question is should he or should he not take his plaid (an over the shoulder long plaid, held on by a brooch, which makes the outfit more formal) .. It is considered - full regalia..

Although - there is one part which Scots men love of course, and is totally casual ...

And men - let me tell you this - ANY man looks much sexier in a Tux, DJ, Kilt etc than he does in dockers and polo -don't care what shape or size he is, he will always win the woman/man with a bow tie!

Good for you.

I don't whinge about wearing a tux. Most likely because I have never worn one. I am not that inclined to ever do so.

Celebrity also does not require me to wear one and I dress to please my partner and myself not others. I hope others like me or not based on my personal traits rather than how much my cloths cost. If not nothing lost anyway.

I also don't use the baggage excuse for not wearing one. They are just not my style. I do comply with my hosts wishes but will admit to adjusting my dress down a little once they (Celebrity) have set the acceptable standards on board.

I also don't offer advice to others on how they spend their money or what amount of money equates to NOTHING.

Great that you find a man in a tux makes your knees knock but it is a little presumptuous to assume that others all think that way.

By the way I don't pay for the odd meal on board EVER but can afford to cruise quite often. Not paying for the odd meal allows me to cruise even more often or spend a few more days on the road. I work very long hours in between holidays (even at 60 years of age) and go without things that others spend money on to satisfy my cruise habit. That is my choice.

Edited by woodyren

blondie, I'm very sorry that you don't find your husband sexy unless he's wearing a tux. I find mine the sexist when he's smiling and wearing what he's confortable in. I don't need him to wear something else to find him sexy!

And luggage isn't always about cost. I just don't want to deal with a third bag...ever! Whether it's trains, cars, cabs, water taxis, I just don't even want to think about a third suitcase. Wear what you want, but stop the putting down people, it certainly doesn't paint you in a good light.

I didn't say I don't find my husband sexy - that's hilarious considering we both spend our lives in wellies, horrid black uniforms and smelling of fish!

I AM saying IMHO - that men look sexier in a TUX than dockers - It was a light hearted comment sorry if it offended you.

Each to their own -:)

Good for you.

I don't whinge about wearing a tux. Most likely because I have never worn one. I am not that inclined to ever do so.

Celebrity also does not require me to wear one and I dress to please my partner and myself not others. I hope others like me or not based on my personal traits rather than how much my cloths cost. If not nothing lost anyway.

I also don't use the baggage excuse for not wearing one. They are just not my style. I do comply with my hosts wishes but will admit to adjusting my dress down a little once they (Celebrity) have set the acceptable standards on board.

I also don't offer advice to others on how they spend their money or what amount of money equates to NOTHING.

Great that you find a man in a tux makes your knees knock but it is a little presumptuous to assume that others all think that way.

By the way I don't pay for the odd meal on board EVER but can afford to cruise quite often. Not paying for the odd meal allows me to cruise even more often or spend a few more days on the road. I work very long hours in between holidays (even at 60 years of age) and go without things that others spend money on to satisfy my cruise habit. That is my choice.

Fair enough - good points

I apologise if I caused offence.:o

Several posts have been removed as being in contravention of our guidelines..

Quoting:

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them... don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

We are in AQ - We are planning to request on boarding, that we can dine in the MDR on our three formal nights...

...ANY man looks much sexier in a Tux, DJ, Kilt etc than he does in dockers and polo -don't care what shape or size he is, he will always win the woman/man with a bow tie!

I agree well dressed men are infinitely more appealing.

And yes, whether they admit it or not, nearly everyone outside of Scotland does wonder what's under those kilts. LOL.

I'm a newby to cruising myself but my sister has cruised a great deal with many of her voyages being on celebrity and in her experience rarely is there anyone inappropriately dressed in the MDR at night. People are turned away from the MDR. So I now suspect most of the "anti-dressing for dinner" posters here shut up and get dressed once onboard (or eat somewhere other than the MDR).

I have come to the conclusion that the arguments people post here about why they can't simply slip on a dinner jacket are just for attention or posted for arguments sake. The lamest are those that play semantics with other's post or pretend there is a evolutionary/revolutionary meaning behind not following a dress code. (Uh,..really?)

I'd much rather communicate with fellow cruisers that want to uphold the cruising tradition of dressing in the evenings than give credence to those that want to destroy those traditions.

I just don't understand what the hubbub is about formal wear. It is a cruising tradition that should be expected and enjoyed. And I have seen people turned away if not properly attired.

We have seen people turned away also.

Isn't there something about the Theatre on formal night?

If I remember you are not allowed in the first floor unless you are

dressed nicely.

Same here. It's not like the MDR is at 85 degrees. The code is in the brochure & pax are expected to follow it. If they can't/won't then there's always the lines like NCL/Carnival where style/proper dress take a back seat.

I followed the dresscode on my recent Summit cruise but there were those who did not and were not turned away from MDR. I saw men in t shirts and shorts.

Also those of you thinking you are better than those on Carnival but tell posters to "shut up", how ironic. Unless you are a major shareholder in RCCL stock you can talk all you want about the rules but can do nothing to enforce them.

We have seen people turned away also.

Isn't there something about the Theatre on formal night?

If I remember you are not allowed in the first floor unless you are

dressed nicely.

Theatre is smart casual and above every night

Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Theatre is smart casual and above every night

Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

On our recent British Isles Cruise in August, many dressed up, probably more so than the our 20134 Med cruise on the same ship (Silhouette) On formal nights, i saw a few people in shorts, and probably clothes most would not wear to Applebees in the theatre! Good for them..if they felt comfortable, so be it. Didn't lessen my experience. I only pay attention to these little details because of CC,lol

On our recent British Isles Cruise in August, many dressed up, probably more so than the our 20134 Med cruise on the same ship (Silhouette) On formal nights, i saw a few people in shorts, and probably clothes most would not wear to Applebees in the theatre! Good for them..if they felt comfortable, so be it. Didn't lessen my experience. I only pay attention to these little details because of CC,lol

Yes, I'm pretty sure formal wear gets way more play here than onboard ;)

Yes, I'm pretty sure formal wear gets way more play here than onboard ;)

Many people were dressed up, no question about it...We stayed smart casual (Blu) but there were people that were not smart casual in the theatre ( or walking around the ship)....not a big deal.....Yes more of a deal here on CC, than in real life.

Hi Everyone,

In an effort to create an improved experience regarding Dress Codes, we are trying out a new feature, by creating a "Sticky" thread. This New thread is to be used for all discussions regarding Celebrity's Dress Code policy.

We have established this thread, as the "go to" thread for all discussions pertaining to Celebrity Cruise Line's Dress Code policies. This thread is intended to make it easier for all Cruise Critic members to discuss current policies and any future changes. This is in lieu of having multiple simultaneous threads containing various discussions. We will combine all new posts and threads to this thread. Please follow our lead and post your questions and comments about Celebrity's Dress Code policies on this thread.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to email us.

Thank you to all for participating in our community !

Sincerely,

Host Andy

Host Walt

Here is the current Celebrity policy (as of October 12, 2014):

------------------------

What to Pack

So what do you pack? You'll need three types of clothing-casual or day wear, clothes for sightseeing (this clothing also needs to take into account what excursions you have planned) and evening wear. When you're on the ship or in a port of call, stylish resort wear is fine for everyone. If you're traveling in a warmer climate, this includes walking shorts and polo shirts, swimsuits and cover-ups, lightweight slacks or skirts and a light sweater. For cooler climates, you'll want casual clothing that can be layered. Don't forget to pack a raincoat or umbrella, and perhaps a waterproof hat and gloves. On any Celebrity Cruise it's smart to bring comfortable, rubber-soled shoes, hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. And, remember to pack your prescription medications and other personal care items you'll need.

Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

-------------------------

What is a sticky? and what is the purpose of a sticky? Think I know but not sure.

What is a sticky? and what is the purpose of a sticky? Think I know but not sure.

A "sticky" is a thread that we Hosts or CC management "stick" to the top of a forum's (message board's) home page.

All other threads are sorted in date order as determined by the date of the last post to the thread.

Edited by Host Walt

Hmmmm, a kilt. my wife wants me to buy one. I guess a trip to Scotland may be in the offing. . . . a couple of scotch (neat) and I will wear anything...

just saying

Hmmmm, a kilt. my wife wants me to buy one. I guess a trip to Scotland may be in the offing. . . . a couple of scotch (neat) and I will wear anything...

just saying

Lol! ABbraveheart at heart huh? ;)

Do you or your wife have any Scottish ancestry?

You would be surprised how many names are linked to a tartan of some kind.

Other than that there are lots of lovely Scottish generic tartans which anyone can wear.And your wife can have shoes, purse, stole - oh lots of accessories to match :)

If you tell me your surname I can find out if you have an affiliated tartan? Next step if your name isn't linked is to try your wife's maiden name.

Lol! ABbraveheart at heart huh? ;)

Do you or your wife have any Scottish ancestry?

You would be surprised how many names are linked to a tartan of some kind.

Other than that there are lots of lovely Scottish generic tartans which anyone can wear.And your wife can have shoes, purse, stole - oh lots of accessories to match :)

If you tell me your surname I can find out if you have an affiliated tartan? Next step if your name isn't linked is to try your wife's maiden name.

I read all your comments and the only thing I would say is you had better make sure you bring lots of layered clothing for Alaska, that is what you need more than anything. I would like to say that on the Alaska cruise you will be somewhat out of place with what you are planning to wear. I am not judging, just passing on reality.

just off the Eclipse's annual Med Cruise ex Southampton - on the 2/3 Formal Nights we attended everyone in the MDR appeared to be dressed according to the Celebrity Dress Code (CDC) but we were downstairs and don't know how people were dressed according to the CDC on the upper level. This is petty much the same as last year. Hard to call, but this year I'd say there were slightly more suits than Dinner Jackets / Dinner Suits / Tuxedos

I have no idea whether or not people were turned away for not being dressed properly and have no idea how I realistically would unless sat at the first table facing the door or I quizzed the Maitre D - neither of which are my thing.

just off the Eclipse's annual Med Cruise ex Southampton - on the 2/3 Formal Nights we attended everyone in the MDR appeared to be dressed according to the Celebrity Dress Code (CDC) but we were downstairs and don't know how people were dressed according to the CDC on the upper level. This is petty much the same as last year. Hard to call, but this year I'd say there were slightly more suits than Dinner Jackets / Dinner Suits / Tuxedos

I have no idea whether or not people were turned away for not being dressed properly and have no idea how I realistically would unless sat at the first table facing the door or I quizzed the Maitre D - neither of which are my thing.

Or they were ahead of you in line and you saw it.:D

I agree well dressed men are infinitely more appealing.

And yes, whether they admit it or not, nearly everyone outside of Scotland does wonder what's under those kilts. LOL.

I'm a newby to cruising myself but my sister has cruised a great deal with many of her voyages being on celebrity and in her experience rarely is there anyone inappropriately dressed in the MDR at night. People are turned away from the MDR. So I now suspect most of the "anti-dressing for dinner" posters here shut up and get dressed once onboard (or eat somewhere other than the MDR).

I have come to the conclusion that the arguments people post here about why they can't simply slip on a dinner jacket are just for attention or posted for arguments sake. The lamest are those that play semantics with other's post or pretend there is a evolutionary/revolutionary meaning behind not following a dress code. (Uh,..really?)

I'd much rather communicate with fellow cruisers that want to uphold the cruising tradition of dressing in the evenings than give credence to those that want to destroy those traditions.

To solve the "what's under the kilts"..Very easy, just wear some nice patent leather shoes on formal night,stand close & check the reflection on the shoes! Certainly worked for Pee Wee Herman!

Edited by keithm
spelling

I read all your comments and the only thing I would say is you had better make sure you bring lots of layered clothing for Alaska, that is what you need more than anything. I would like to say that on the Alaska cruise you will be somewhat out of place with what you are planning to wear. I am not judging, just passing on reality.

Wrong cruise LOL

Alaska is not until 2016 and you are spot on - we are planning hiking boots, rain macs - rain hats and well - prepared for our weather at home

That cruise is def about the ports. That is a bucket list cruise and is so much about packing it in - Europe for us is "ten a penny" - Alaska - well - its a port intensive cruise which you so wonderfully helped me with - thank you!

The cruise(s) I am referring to are this years TA cruise in October and then I am doing 5 day with my daughter whom I meet up with in Miami. TA cruises we have always found in the past tend to be pretty dressy - even on lines not as formal as Celebrity.

We do lots of lines and pack accordingly - Costa is actually pretty dressy - we love Costa for a quick last minute cheap break around the med.

NCL - we DEF felt out of place on there with evening dress on - we were by far overdressed although there were some numpties same as us who did the same.. lesson learned .. (that's an affectionate numpty self criticism btw)..

We will sail Carnival - which believe it or not thought (talking about 8-14 day here) was dressier than NCL

We never ever ever do British cruising - ruled that out long time ago - never again - they can stick their Pompous & Obnoxious where the sun don't shine...

ALaska - well - for us its like ticking off Kenya Safaris (which we have done many) - this is a dream cruise - one of our "to do" specials..

And thanks for the heads up - no formal wear then?? will check nearer the time but many thanks! I prob have a hundred ????s by then!:)

To solve the "what's under the kilts"..Very easy, just wear some nice patent leather shoes on formal night,stand close & check the reflection on the shoes! Certainly worked for Pee Wee Herman!

Things to consider about going Commando on a cruise ship?

the stairway...

If it is a slatted stairway where one can look up... :eek:

I leave it up to my husband - he did give me a heart attack one night - told me he was commando - and at the "disco" late on - of course the usual ??s and laughter - he turned around to flash - and lo and behold - flashed a St Andrews Flag pair of boxer shorts....

All joking aside - there is a time and a place and sometimes its best not to go commando

Also - he actually prefers being able to tuck his shirt in ..so he tells me ..

But does surprise - and hey - its Halloween on our cruise - I see some joker stuff happening this cruise....;)