Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

I would agree with this post if it wasnt for fear of the Fashion Police [emoji12] Not sure who has the most fearsome reputation - them or the Tipping militia .

Ashamed to admit that when on the boat I dont go looking for issues like dress code infringements or tip evasion. Really sorry to admit that I prefer to have fun with my fellow cruisists and the wonderful staff.

Is there a penance to pay ?

99.9% of the people are the same as u......only issue is here on Cruise critic.

99.9% of the people are the same as u......only issue is here on Cruise critic.

well its comforting to know that I am not alone on CC amongst all the terrifying zealots within the dress code & tip enforcing police forces.

Was beginning to wonder whether I should cancel my next boat trip in January. Mind you my friends from Canadia would probably help protect me.

Edited by LA_Design

well its comforting to know that I am not alone on CC amongst all the terrifying zealots within the dress code & tip enforcing police forces.

Was beginning to wonder whether I should cancel my next boat trip in January. Mind you my friends from Canadia would probably help protect me.

Maybe--if they are Leaf Fans(hockey)--they won't put up much of a fight (Canadian myself) On my 2 Celebrity cruises (Aqua class) many dressed up on Formal nights..some like myself stayed smart casual! I never felt out of place, then again, I really don't care what others think (in a polite way.lol) I saw people in shorts and wife beater shirts on formal nights walking around (and in theater) and I saw people dressed to the 9's on non-formal nights. I find the celebrity experience, nothing like these forums...... People are very polite and mind their own business,lol

Edited by flames9

Actually if you go back on this thread you will find that most of the problems are caused by those who do not wish to adhere to the dress code. Those who you call the dress police if you are honest are actually trying to simply answer questions which are posed about the dress code. That is the purpose of the board but very often when they do someone will question them in a confrontational manner. It's the old shoot the messenger syndrome. This has been the matter for several years ago.

Another big problem that many of us see is that Celebrity is consistently inconsistent in the manner in which they enforce the dress code. Either enforce it or don't. They also have inconsistent entries in their various documents. For example they changed the nightly dress codes about 7 years ago from three types to two. It took them five years to change this on the UK web site even though it had been changed on the US web site, brochures and on board.

Once on board you will find that there may occasionally be someone who will say something but they usually don't know what the dress code actually is for a particular area.

As for tipping, I find it very simple and don't understand the fuss.

Edited by dkjretired

Some are now seldom if ever setting foot in the MDR now they have Luminae.

If that is the case, as the "minimum" Formal Dress code applies only to the MDR why does it matter what people wear in the MDR if you don't dine in there.

Edited by DYKWIA

This thread is on a temporary hold. Please use this opportunity to:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. Think happy thoughts.

3. Read our guidelines regarding comments about others.

4. Enjoy a hot beverage

5. Book a new cruise.

The thread will be reopened in the near future.

This thread is on a temporary hold. Please use this opportunity to:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. Think happy thoughts.

3. Read our guidelines regarding comments about others.

4. Enjoy a hot beverage

5. Book a new cruise.

The thread will be reopened in the near future.

OK. I hope you all have taken that deep breath and are happily thinking about your next cruise

This thread is now open, again.

OK. I hope you all have taken that deep breath and are happily thinking about your next cruise

This thread is now open, again.

Had a deep breath , thought about my next cruise (jan 2016 14 nights) 3 formals - only got 2 dinner suits 1 lounge suit & 14 different shirts , 6 pairs trousers - Boss lady insists [emoji41]

Dislike the celebrity dress code but not allowed an opinion on the higher regime. This higher level is dictated to by SWMBO[emoji12][emoji33][emoji41].

So no I don't have a choice. She wants to go Celebrity - we go Celebrity aaarrrghhhh [emoji32]

Edited by LA_Design

Some are now seldom if ever setting foot in the MDR now they have Luminae.

If that is the case, as the "minimum" Formal Dress code applies only to the MDR why does it matter what people wear in the MDR if you don't dine in there.

interesting. Difficult to stop habits. Friend of mine was on police for 30 years , when he stopped policing he admitted it was difficult not to follow ones instinct - just saying [emoji33]

I'd stick to a tradtional navy blue blazer. Corduroy coats really haven't been in fashion for a few decades.

That's what I thought then last Saturday I was walking through JCPenney (Yes, I know not a fashion leader before I get comments on that) and not only were there corduroy coats but in red no less! As a recent newcomer to Alabama, my initial thought was, who would ever wear that? then I reminded myself as I looked up, "roll tide!" LOL I guess fashion is in the eyes of the beholder. LOL.

interesting. Difficult to stop habits. Friend of mine was on police for 30 years , when he stopped policing he admitted it was difficult not to follow ones instinct - just saying [emoji33]

You are so right, ask him if everytime he goes into a restaurant, he seats himself facing the door, never back to door. We have a problem in my family as both wife and I were Police Officers so we fight over the seat.

Edited by dkjretired

I'm really more concerned with the dress code for daytime on the ship. In reading the FAQ, it sounds as if shorts, t-shirts, etc. are not acceptable anywhere on the ship during the day, or even in port. Is this true, or just an omission? I don't mind dressing up for dinner, but daytime is another thing.

(This is what I found:

"Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.")

Edited by fluffysue

I'm really more concerned with the dress code for daytime on the ship. In reading the FAQ, it sounds as if shorts, t-shirts, etc. are not acceptable anywhere on the ship during the day, or even in port. Is this true, or just an omission? I don't mind dressing up for dinner, but daytime is another thing.

(This is what I found:

"Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.")

Day time is casual. Shorts, flip flops, sandals, tee shirts. Yes bring a bathing suit - cover up. You cannot go into the buffet for lunch in a swim suit. Day time on X is like any other line. Go and relax and have fun!!!

Day time is casual. Shorts, flip flops, sandals, tee shirts. Yes bring a bathing suit - cover up. You cannot go into the buffet for lunch in a swim suit. Day time on X is like any other line. Go and relax and have fun!!!

Thanks. That's what I've been told by friends who I've traveled with on other cruises (and who have been on Celebrity before), that basically what I usually wear is fine...but then I read the web site and started to wonder. Thanks. :)

(This is what I found:

Seriously?

Did you find that on Princess .web site? If you did, I could not find it.

I think you're confusing, and mixing together dress code on board ship with dress code going ashore.

Please provide the link to the FAQ..

Not that I doubt your reading or comprehension skills. :confused: But I want to read that FAQ for myself.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Here is the link, scroll down to the topic "What is the onboard dress code?" (couldn't figure out how to link directly to that one):

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#2

I should've included the entire section, which actually reads as follows:

What is the onboard dress code?

You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear, and eveningwear. Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

Also, remember to bring extra bathing suits, as well as sun block, sun visors and other types of sun protection.

Edited by fluffysue

Here is the link, scroll down to the topic "What is the onboard dress code?" (couldn't figure out how to link directly to that one):

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#2

I should've included the entire section, which actually reads as follows:

What is the onboard dress code?

You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear, and eveningwear. Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

Also, remember to bring extra bathin

Don't worry, 99% of the passengers will be in shorts and t shirts even in the restaurants during daytime. If they enforced that code there would be a riot on board, it hasn't been that way for 20 years.

What you are looking at is just another area of the web site that Celebrity sorely needs to correct.

Edited by dkjretired

I just got off the Oct 02 Reflection cruise. A guy in front of me walked into the MDR for 6:00 seating wearing shorts and a tee. Wear what you want to, nobody will stop you.

Very poor advice, many have reported seeing people being turned away. I don't care what others wear however it would be poor advice to tell someone this and then have them turned away at the entrance as many including myself have reported on this board. In the case of someone wearing shorts, you don't know the story, they may have not received their luggage, etc.

Edited by dkjretired

I've not read this thread and all of it's nearly 2000 posts, but I do want to report what a CC member posted on another forum (underline is mine):

"... going on cruise on Solstice in November, have almost reached the point of dreading it after reading through the "Celebrity Dress Code Discussion"

We really enjoyed our cruise on Sea Princess, they had dress code which we adhered to, but seems Celebrity expects much higher, everywhere after 6pm."

We love Celebrity, haven't cruised another line since our Baltic cruise on the Eclipse, but feel awful that others are put off by the tone of some posters here.

Maybe this thread should be closed

I've not read this thread and all of it's nearly 2000 posts, but I do want to report what a CC member posted on another forum (underline is mine):

"... going on cruise on Solstice in November, have almost reached the point of dreading it after reading through the "Celebrity Dress Code Discussion"

We really enjoyed our cruise on Sea Princess, they had dress code which we adhered to, but seems Celebrity expects much higher, everywhere after 6pm."

We love Celebrity, haven't cruised another line since our Baltic cruise on the Eclipse, but feel awful that others are put off by the tone of some posters here.

Maybe this thread should be closed

The information in red is completely wrong. The formal dress code after. 6 applies only in the MDR, the other restaurants are smart casual. On the remainder of the ship you are pretty much on their own. Whoever gave them that info is incorrect.

I was on the 24th Aug Equinox and saw people turned away from MDR for wearing shorts.

So, to be clear, at which seating did you see people being turned away from MDR?

On our recent cruise, no one wearing shorts was turned away for lunch seating in MDR.

I believe , the no shorts rule in MDR only applies for evening dining. Is that correct?

Please be specific. Is that no shorts rule in MDR (other than dinner seating) cited anywhere in Celebrity Cruises FAQ?

No saying you, but, there are people on this board that spread FUD, mistruths, can't read, offer non-specific antidotal examples, quote out of context, or plain flat out lie.

Edited by Kingofcool1947