Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

What amazes me is how many guys wearing suits and ties don't even tuck in their shirts, so that shirt tails hang out from under their suit coats.The other trend is wearing beat up sneakers with dress suits.

But back when I was younger and entering the business world, the big outrage was businessmen who failed to wear hats (remember when straw hats were de rigeur after Memorial day and were not done after Labor day?)

Don't get me started on the current trend of stubbly three day whisker growth.

But times they are achangin'. Best get used to it.

Walt:

My mother used to swear the shirts out of the pants was a gene passed down in our family. Based upon the later generations she might have a point but I certainly understand your point for business.

There was a "rumour" post on here a couple of weeks ago, didn't mention which ship. They were reporting (second hand) that persons onboard had been told by an unnamed member of staff that Formal Night was going.

You never know, Chic night might have the same dress code as Formal Night.

The only noticeable difference will probably be that the formal dress code will become "suggested" instead of "required". Those people who enjoy "formal" dress will continue to dress that way and nobody but a determined troublemaker or an idiot is going to think that shorts and t-shirts are now OK.

The staff will also not feel the pressure of having to choose whether to enforce or ignore arbitrary rules.

What amazes me is how many guys wearing suits and ties don't even tuck in their shirts, so that shirt tails hang out from under their suit coats.The other trend is wearing beat up sneakers with dress suits.

But back when I was younger and entering the business world, the big outrage was businessmen who failed to wear hats (remember when straw hats were de rigeur after Memorial day and were not done after Labor day?)

Don't get me started on the current trend of stubbly three day whisker growth.

But times they are achangin'. Best get used to it.

Walt, you must be older than dirt. I'm almost 70 and I don't remember hats ever being an issue.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the question of Formal nights asked on the live chat with Lisa Lutoff-Perlo? I thought she was asked and then said they would stay. Am I remembering correctly?

Edited by Jane2357

Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Personally, Tux, Suit or dinner jacket & slacks would have a tie(kind of think that goes without saying!)The president of the cruise line stressed quite clearly what the expected dress codes were & I trust her opinion over many of the fashionistas on this site, who have "their" take on this subject. This was when she answered questions on Cruise Critic some months ago.

Personally, Tux, Suit or dinner jacket & slacks would have a tie(kind of think that goes without saying!)The president of the cruise line stressed quite clearly what the expected dress codes were & I trust her opinion over many of the fashionistas on this site, who have "their" take on this subject. This was when she answered questions on Cruise Critic some months ago.

Some months ago would be the key there. Things change. Let's wait for Celebrity's answer on formal nights.

My intention for posting Celebrity’s MDR evening dress guidelines was FYI. Nowhere in Celebrity’s guidelines does it imply or express that you have to wear a tie as you said it did in one of your recent posts. I for one wouldn’t wear my suit without a tie. That’s a given ! Also I’m sure the President of the Celebrity Cruises wouldn’t agree with you when you recommend those that don’t want to follow the simple MDR evening dress guidelines to Cruise another Cruise line as you have in one of your recent posts.

Perhaps the Celebrity Cruise poster will see this and comment.

That would be nice! From what I've been able to find it's only a trial on Reflection right now at the start of her Caribbean season..and... SIGH... I cancelled Reflection for later this month for a more laid back holiday in Hawaii. Figures ;)

Edited by Cruise Junky

So in Hawaii

In the land of flip-flops and shorts

You are going to surf in your suit and tie

Oh wait your going to the luau in your shirt and tie

Come on really

Your not sailing celebrity because what????

Is that addressed to me? Yes, we wanted a totally laid back vacation. Doesn't stop me cruising Celebrity but for this trip we just couldn't be bothered. Not saying we would have changed our minds if formal was gone but we might.

A long time ago in land far far away

Disneyworld said let's put in great restaurants that people have to dress up for while they visit the park on their vacation

It failed

Today you can go into any Disney world restaurant

Except Victoria and Alberts

In nice clothes including shorts and flip flops

Because it brings people in

A long time ago in land far far away

Disneyworld said let's put in great restaurants that people have to dress up for while they visit the park on their vacation

It failed

Today you can go into any Disney world restaurant

Except Victoria and Alberts

In nice clothes including shorts and flip flops

Because it brings people in

DW and I are planning a Hawaii cruise for next year on Celebrity. So are you saying, on Celebrity. Hawaii cruises, it's fine to wear Hawaiian wear on Formal Night dining in the MDR? The reason I ask is, I don't want to pack a suit and tie just for Formal Nights, but I DO want to dine those evenings in the MDR. Is DW ok wearing a long Hawaiian Muumuu for Formal Night dining n MDR? And you're saying wearing flip flops/shorts is acceptable in MDR as well? We won't be turned away from the MDR? We are in our 80's , and never cruised Hawaii.

Thank you in advance for your response.

DW and I are planning a Hawaii cruise for next year on Celebrity. So are you saying, on Celebrity. Hawaii cruises, it's fine to wear Hawaiian wear on Formal Night dining in the MDR? The reason I ask is, I don't want to pack a suit and tie just for Formal Nights, but I DO want to dine those evenings in the MDR. Is DW ok wearing a long Hawaiian Muumuu for Formal Night dining n MDR? And you're saying wearing flip flops/shorts is acceptable in MDR as well? We won't be turned away from the MDR? We are in our 80's , and never cruised Hawaii.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Do yourself a favor and read the dress codes posted on Celebrity's website. If you really want to dine in the MDR you would be wise to follow them, otherwise you have the possibility of not being admitted. You will also fing that the vast majority of cruisers do as requested.

Do yourself a favor and read the dress codes posted on Celebrity's website. If you really want to dine in the MDR you would be wise to follow them, otherwise you have the possibility of not being admitted. You will also fing that the vast majority of cruisers do as requested.

Thank you for your kind response.. I thought so. Just checking.

Then I will pack a suit, tie, dress shirt and dress shoes per the dress code posted on Celebrity's website. For Formal Night dining in the MDR. DW will dress accordingly.

So, just curious, why do others responding in this thread say the dress code has been relaxed and /or it's OK to dress down for dining in MDR? Especially for Hawaii cruises? :confused:

Thank you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Then I will pack a suit, tie, dress shirt and dress shoes per the dress code posted on Celebrity's website. For Formal Night dining in the MDR. DW will dress accordingly.

So, just curious, why do others responding in this thread say the dress code has been relaxed and /or it's OK to dress down for dining in MDR? Especially for Hawaii cruises? :confused:

Thank you.

It's what they would like to see and occasionally people manage to "get in".

Thank you.

It's what they would like to see and occasionally people manage to "get in". Celebrity provides lots of alternatives for people who don't care to dress up on Formal Nights.