Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

We had a great cruise on the Reflection this week, but we did have one dress code.....shall you say..."run-in."

My wife and I are 20-somethings (26 and 27) so I knew our style of dress would probably be different than the majority. I wore a charcoal suit and a grey suit (two formal nights). I don't own a tux, and I don't rent one for a cruise. The second suit was lighter than what was being worn in most places, but I never got any comments.

My wife, however, wore the same style of dress she usually does for these things (I suppose one would call it a cocktail dress, hangs 1-2" above the knee). When she walked out of the theater briefly (we were sitting at one of the "bar type" seats at the back), she was approached by a couple women that told her that her dress was "too short for an adults cruise."

Luckily, these pitiful individuals seemed to be in the minority, and we enjoyed the rest of our cruise. We also met some wonderful people along the way.

I don't usually get involved in dress code threads anymore but I have

to ask...2 passengers told your wife her dress was too short??:eek:OMG

Sometimes I just have to shake my head:rolleyes:.....sorry your wife was

approached that way.

I don't usually get involved in dress code threads anymore but I have

to ask...2 passengers told your wife her dress was too short??:eek:OMG

Sometimes I just have to shake my head:rolleyes:.....sorry your wife was

approached that way.

To clarify, two women together. Not two separate instances, but yes, rather amazing.

To clarify, two women together. Not two separate instances, but yes, rather amazing.

Yes, I thought that is what you meant....2 women who were together

decided it was their place to tell your wife her dress was too short......:rolleyes::eek:.....like I said......omg.....

I have seen plenty of outfits that were not "for me" but I would never go up to the person and tell them......

Edited by Lois R

decided it was their place to tell your wife her dress was too short......:rolleyes::eek:.....like I said......omg.....

I have seen plenty of outfits that were not "for me" but I would never go up to the person and tell them......

Short skirts with a pair of high heels always look good on a woman with nice legs. Maybe the two women were jealous? Were these women fat with legs the size of tree logs? :D

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Short skirts with a pair of high heels always look good on a woman with nice legs. Maybe the two women were jealous? Were these two woman fat with legs the size of tree logs? :D

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I cannot fathom the incredible rudeness of these two females (they sure ain't "ladies"). I know how much effort my wife puts in on her appearance, especially for formal nights at sea. She would be devastated if someone made a gratuitously nasty remark like that.

Clearly these two females lack empathy and have enormous self esteem issues if they get their kicks by ruining a stranger's cruise holiday.

Edited by Sow There

We have just completed a 14 day cruise on the Century and had 3 formal functions. On formal night 1 I observed open necked polo shirts, open necked shirts ( included me) jackets and ties and some tuxes/ dinner suits. Formal night 2 tuxes and dinner jackets were more obvious. Formal night 3 tuxes and dinner jackets had declined.

To be perfectly honest no one appeared to give a toss what others were wearing but were too engrossed in their own little group. Anyone who gets uptight what someone is wearing to dinner is in my view narrow minded and picky and should consider a different holiday.

The only concern raised in our dining room was a teenager who turned up wearing shorts, ball cap on backwards and a logo'd T shirt on Formal night 1. He was allowed into dinner but his "party" was subsequently spoken to and his dress improved significantly.

I am sure my candy coloured shirt and lack of tie didn't spoil anyone's dinner just as their tuxedo didn't spoil mine

I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but does anyone know when formal nights came into existence and who they appeal to? Do they date back to the Titanic? Is it like Halloween? Is this a holdover from commercial flying in the sixties? Formal, shmormal I say.

This will be our fourth long cruise on Celebrity and I have never seen the dress code to be a problem for most passengers as long as you appear to be an aware human being and possess an adequate level of class. I have seen the violations, however, and they are not pretty; especially when they let them in anyway.

I (male) pack a blue blazer and dark and khaki slacks. I wear a dress shirt and a tie every night, formal or not. My wife and I always look "business". On the first two I took a suit, but wondered why afterward.

I occasionally see a tux, but not that many. We sat with a couple from Scotland once and he said he brought two tuxedos.Why I don't know, but he might wear a tux to the gym for all I know. I guess you can pretend and fantasize at what ever level you want and you should if that is your rare opportunity. (Maybe I should suggest to my wife to take a tiara this time.)

Celebrity is relaxed elegance for middle and upper middle class folks; that's it. That is what they market and, for the most part, that is the kind of passenger they get (along with the outliers). It's not a state dinner at the White House. Have fun. Pack lightly and classy and you will never disappoint. You will find that 95% of formal night is coat and tie for men.

Act like you actually understand the nuance and actually belong on a ship that is far above the norm and all will be well. If you do, I think you will find that no one cares except those occasional and uncomfortable penguins.

We have just completed a 14 day cruise on the Century and had 3 formal functions. On formal night 1 I observed open necked polo shirts, open necked shirts ( included me) jackets and ties and some tuxes/ dinner suits. Formal night 2 tuxes and dinner jackets were more obvious. Formal night 3 tuxes and dinner jackets had declined.

To be perfectly honest no one appeared to give a toss what others were wearing but were too engrossed in their own little group. Anyone who gets uptight what someone is wearing to dinner is in my view narrow minded and picky and should consider a different holiday.

The only concern raised in our dining room was a teenager who turned up wearing shorts, ball cap on backwards and a logo'd T shirt on Formal night 1. He was allowed into dinner but his "party" was subsequently spoken to and his dress improved significantly.

I am sure my candy coloured shirt and lack of tie didn't spoil anyone's dinner just as their tuxedo didn't spoil mine

Those folks who do not wish to follow rules should be the ones to "consider a different holiday".

On one formal night, we had the unfortunate "honor" of sitting across the table from a couple who were BOTH wearing t-shirts and jeans.

We are NEITHER narrow minded OR picky.

We simply enjoy the ambiance that comes from dining with people who follow the clear and concise rules that they agreed to when purchasing their cruise ticket.

We will continue to cruise, and simply hope that MOST people will RESPECT the rules, as well as their fellow cruisers.

Those folks who do not wish to follow rules should be the ones to "consider a different holiday".

On one formal night, we had the unfortunate "honor" of sitting across the table from a couple who were BOTH wearing t-shirts and jeans.

We are NEITHER narrow minded OR picky.

We simply enjoy the ambiance that comes from dining with people who follow the clear and concise rules that they agreed to when purchasing their cruise ticket.

We will continue to cruise, and simply hope that MOST people will RESPECT the rules, as well as their fellow cruisers.

Well said

I guess those who hold to the traditions of the 20's when cruising was for the landed gentry had better get used to the fact that the landed gentry are in the minority when it comes to cruising and dressing down is going to become the norm rather than the exception

I guess those who hold to the traditions of the 20's when cruising was for the landed gentry had better get used to the fact that the landed gentry are in the minority when it comes to cruising and dressing down is going to become the norm rather than the exception

Those who enjoy the traditions of dressing up for a couple of formal nights should still enjoy them.

Those who don't wish to dress up have their choice of OTHER cruise lines, or of dining in other venues.

There is something for everyone.

RESPECT is key.

Those who enjoy the traditions of dressing up for a couple of formal nights should still enjoy them.

Those who don't wish to dress up have their choice of OTHER cruise lines, or of dining in other venues.

There is something for everyone.

RESPECT is key.

Well said!

RESPECT-now that's a really novel idea in today's world.

Just off the Infinity on Dec 20 which sailed from Ft Lauderdale to Valparaiso Chile. 3 formal nights on this 16 bought cruise. We ate in the MDR every night at second seating.

First night - at most, 10% tuxedos on men. Balance was about 35% suits, 55% sports jackets - nearly all with ties.

Second night - more sports jackets (often that jacket that came with the suit was paired with different colored slacks), fewer suits, fewer ties, and very few tuxedos. During dinner, the maître de advised us and every table that TIES WERE OPTIONAL FOR MEN ON THE THIRD FORMAL NIGHT.

Third night - few ties, I think we saw 5 tuxedos, including the one without a tie but a cool cumberbund, and one group of ten who wore black slacks with matching long sleeved t shirts with printed tuxedo design on them.

Sorry, guys, I know you don't like it, but it's the truth.

Edited by jkgourmet

I guess those who feel entitled to do as they please no matter what is requested had better realize that landed gentry has nothing to do with anything and it's just a matter of people with manners and those that have none. It's obvious that you can't legislate good taste and civility. It has nothing at all to do with money.

I guess those who feel entitled to do as they please no matter what is requested had better realize that landed gentry has nothing to do with anything and it's just a matter of people with manners and those that have none. It's obvious that you can't legislate good taste and civility. It has nothing at all to do with money.

And how does that explain that Celebrity is saying that men do not need to wear a tie in the MDR on the final formal night?

Third night - few ties, I think we saw 5 tuxedos, including the one without a tie but a cool cumberbund, and one group of ten who wore black slacks with matching long sleeved t shirts with printed tuxedo design on them.

More evidence of the fact that the majority of men prefer not to wear ties.

On the subject or respect, I've always thought one of the worst ways of being disrespectful is to judge people by what they wear, particularly if you don't know them personally.

I have no doubt that some people who flaunt the dress code are being intentionally disrespectful. They are a small minority and can usually be ignored or perhaps chuckled at. However most just don't understand why how they dress should be anyone else's business particularly if they dress tidily and (in their eyes) respectfully.

And before anyone brings up the issues of being respectful to your "host", I should point out that there is a massive difference between being the guest of an individual and the paying customer of a huge corporation.

More evidence of the fact that the majority of men prefer not to wear ties.

On the subject or respect, I've always thought one of the worst ways of being disrespectful is to judge people by what they wear, particularly if you don't know them personally.

I have no doubt that some people who flaunt the dress code are being intentionally disrespectful. They are a small minority and can usually be ignored or perhaps chuckled at. However most just don't understand why how they dress should be anyone else's business particularly if they dress tidily and (in their eyes) respectfully.

And before anyone brings up the issues of being respectful to your "host", I should point out that there is a massive difference between being the guest of an individual and the paying customer of a huge corporation.

I don't judge people by what they wear.

I judge people by their lack of respect for rules and their fellow cruisers.

If people do NOT want to dress up for dinner, they have other options. Other dining venues or other cruise lines do NOT have the same rules.

If everyone else in the main dining room showed up in jeans and sneakers, it IS the business of the people who followed the rules and expected a nice dining experience. The ambiance of the dining room would be COMPLETELY different.

It really is very simple. Find the cruise line or the dining venue that works for YOU. If you don't want to dress for dinner, don't.

Just don't show up in the MDR on formal night wearing jeans and sneakers.

It really does come down to respect. I wouldn't disrespect someone who showed up dressed well - even if it wasn't quite "formal", but close.

I WOULD have NO respect for someone who showed up in jeans and sneakers.

It really does come down to respect. I wouldn't disrespect someone who showed up dressed well - even if it wasn't quite "formal", but close.

I WOULD have NO respect for someone who showed up in jeans and sneakers.

No respect at all? What if that person were a Nobel Prize winning biochemist who'd just invented a vaccine for Ebola and has eccentric tastes in formal wear? Or a software designer who had finally come up with a way of making the Celebrity website work properly.

Sometimes people do intend to show disrespect by how they dress. Often they don't. How do you tell the difference?

Still,I don't like sitting across from someone who dresses like trailer trash because they aren't willing to follow the rules. If you like dressing improperly on formal night..then choose a less formal line. If you dress like a slob,yes, I will call you out on it & yes, I will(and have)get you ejected from the dining room. I don't pay good money to see a room full of Onslows! At least on the Eclipse, the pax for the most part followed the dress codes & staff were most willing to not allow entry into the MDR those who had dressed slovenly.

Respect or not, Celebrity is changing the rules themselves ON BOARD.

Whether or not we agree or disagree has no bearing on this discussion. The fact is that the celebrity maître de came to every table and said that men were not required to wear a tie for the third formal night in a 16 night cruise. And the VAST majority evidently appreciated it as few ties were in evidenence.

No respect at all? What if that person were a Nobel Prize winning biochemist who'd just invented a vaccine for Ebola and has eccentric tastes in formal wear? Or a software designer who had finally come up with a way of making the Celebrity website work properly.

Sometimes people do intend to show disrespect by how they dress. Often they don't. How do you tell the difference?

Could care less what miricles they came up with. Either make a reasonable attempt to follow the dress codes or go back to the old drawing board!