Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

You're probably being facetious, but for someone who truly loves to travel, there are many places that are not necessarily "risk free" but the risk is still small and the reward may be huge.

I gather from reading this thread and others, that travel for some is simply a nice "extra" and they are only interested in visiting places that are not going to take them out of their comfort zone at all -- which is fine. But not everyone is the same.

Of course I would not travel to Syria or Lebanon now. But I went there just 4-5 years ago. At the time, I got a lot of negative comments about safety. But if I hadn't gone when I did, I may never have gotten to see some of the fantastic sights that remain among my very favorites. Not only that, but some of them have now been damaged or even destroyed. If I hadn't gone when I did, I'd never have gotten to see them. I am still kicking myself that I didn't get to Libya during the brief period when it was possible...

Last November I spent two weeks in Tunisia. Some people (including some on this board) thought it was crazy. I had a wonderful time, went to Roman sites that most people have not even heard of. Not a breath or hint of trouble anywhere.

Not traveling is not an option for me. It's one of the things I enjoy most in my life and I'm not about to stop doing it or to limit myself to places where there is no 'perceived' risk. (For as we all know, even safe places can become very unsafe with no prior notice.)

You must be a Brit!! We don't scare so easily:D

DW and I 10/26 fly Boston to Fort Lauderdale

10/27 cruise Caribbean Panama Canal

We always take insurance, it sure came in handy in 2011, with a heart attach. We also only take HAL tours in any port, the cost for both in our opinion is well worth the peace of mind to enjoy our cruise.

That is exactly what we would do and have done. Did some great trips to Greece and Turkey for two years when uninformed TA's were advising against it. Went to Thailand last Jan during the troubles.

IMHO the U.S. mass media are partly to blame. They jump on the story to fill air time, often providing very incomplete information with opinion presented as fact. People are lazy and will not take the time to get on the web and do some basic research instead of turning to TV news.

My Brother also went to Thailand also last year with friends on a bike tour. It was also during the troubles. He is playing on going back next year around January/February

Mary

I never catch colds at home, but I often do on a cruise. I'm worried about that. I'm also worried about eating too much bread pudding and my clothes shrinking.

---:eek:=:cool:

Edited by maxie99

My daughter-in-law was at the Boston Marathon when all heck broke loose. My kids are all runners. I was in Florida and received a call that no one knew where she was. Well, when you get a call like that, oh, life changes in a second. We learned 2 hours later that she was ok. We don't take it for granted that we will be safe anywhere. We try the best we can with all due precautions but obviously, life enters.

My daughter-in-law was at the Boston Marathon when all heck broke loose. My kids are all runners. I was in Florida and received a call that no one knew where she was. Well, when you get a call like that, oh, life changes in a second. We learned 2 hours later that she was ok. We don't take it for granted that we will be safe anywhere. We try the best we can with all due precautions but obviously, life enters.

How frightening for your family. Happy all turned out well for your D-I-L.

To be honest, I don't think this kind of thread does anything to alleviate the unfounded fear being circulated. What is needed is accurate information, and not speculation. CNN and Fox are loving it and, I'm sure, disappointed that an epidemic has not broken out in the western world yet. We have lived through "pandemics" before. Which reminds me - time to get a flu shot.;)

If it bleeds, it leads. ;)

The media is hyping it and the people are lapping it up/freaking out. Lots of it reminds me of the reactions way back when AIDS was new.

Some time in the 90's my partner and I went back to my country of birth, South Africa. His coworkers were warning him about how dangerous it would be (by that time he had been there before, by the way). while we were in South Africa there was a bombing on the New York subway. ;)

We plan on waiting to book our next cruise until last minute when we know the lowest risk regions to visit. We may not end up going on any vacation next year if we feel the risk is too high. I have thought about the crew being from some African countries and am highly concerned about them traveling home and potentially bringing the disease Onboard.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We plan on waiting to book our next cruise until last minute when we know the lowest risk regions to visit. We may not end up going on any vacation next year if we feel the risk is too high. I have thought about the crew being from some African countries and am highly concerned about them traveling home and potentially bringing the disease Onboard.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would imagine the cruise lines would be taking huge preventative measures with regard to any crew coming in from affected regions - if only to eliminate the chance of future lawsuits and going out of business if a passenger contracts Ebola on one of their ships.

I think a lot of people here need to reorganize their priorities.

Seems to me that people are more worried about the kind of sauce they put on their hamburgers at the Dive In or someone smoking on the adjoining balcony than they are about the possibility of a world-wide epidemic. :rolleyes:

I agree!!!

From MSN news today....

The World Health Organization said yesterday the Ebola infection rate could soon reach 10,000 a week as world leaders prepared to hold talks on the crisis at the United Nations.

WHO assistant director general Bruce Aylward, describing his figures as a working forecast, said the epidemic "could reach 5000 to 10,000 cases per week by the first week of December".

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I think a lot of people here need to reorganize their priorities.

Seems to me that people are more worried about the kind of sauce they put on their hamburgers at the Dive In or someone smoking on the adjoining balcony than they are about the possibility of a world-wide epidemic.

I agree!!!

quote]

Saying people are not concerned or have their priorities wrong is very much a leap of faith which I find more fear mongering than fact. Education is the key here and taking comments from one thread and transposing them here is not a fair comparison. People were not complaining about sauce or smoke on this thread. This is how threads turn ugly.

Education and making a decision for you is what is important. Not dictating and spreading fear to people who don’t feel the same as you. The OP should absolutely stay home, it is the right decision for them given how afraid the DW is.

Ebola is going to get worse before it gets better and that is what the news was saying this morning…the ball is still rolling downhill and picking up speed to borrow a common analogy. Containment has not happened. Until it does, things will continue to get worse.

Some people respond to crisis by locking themselves away and pretending it isn’t happening. Others build bomb shelters in their back yards. Still others educate themselves so they understand what is happening. And there are some the share the philosophy that misery loves company. Some are a bit of all the above.

Whatever is right for you and yours is right. Just don't tell the rest of us we are wrong because we don't subscribe to the same philosophy as you.

I agree!!!

From MSN news today....

The World Health Organization said yesterday the Ebola infection rate could soon reach 10,000 a week as world leaders prepared to hold talks on the crisis at the United Nations.

WHO assistant director general Bruce Aylward, describing his figures as a working forecast, said the epidemic "could reach 5000 to 10,000 cases per week by the first week of December".

Perspective....30,000 people a week die due to unclean drinking water. This is every single week and has been going on for years.

I agree!!!

quote]

Saying people are not concerned or have their priorities wrong is very much a leap of faith which I find more fear mongering than fact. Education is the key here and taking comments from one thread and transposing them here is not a fair comparison. People were not complaining about sauce or smoke on this thread. This is how threads turn ugly.

Education and making a decision for you is what is important. Not dictating and spreading fear to people who don’t feel the same as you. The OP should absolutely stay home, it is the right decision for them given how afraid the DW is.

Ebola is going to get worse before it gets better and that is what the news was saying this morning…the ball is still rolling downhill and picking up speed to borrow a common analogy. Containment has not happened. Until it does, things will continue to get worse.

Some people respond to crisis by locking themselves away and pretending it isn’t happening. Others build bomb shelters in their back yards. Still others educate themselves so they understand what is happening. And there are some the share the philosophy that misery loves company. Some are a bit of all the above.

Whatever is right for you and yours is right. Just don't tell the rest of us we are wrong because we don't subscribe to the same philosophy as you.

And it sure is nice we have forum to express different points of view.

I have no problem flying domestic and cruising the Caribbean but would avoid Asia and Africa right now.

Has Ebola hit Asia? Hadn't read that and sure hope it doesn't. We have a far east trip in the works, all planned before Ebola. I did read that the Chinese are screening everyone who enters the country.

We know the World Cruises very wisely skipped West Africa.

Scary times.

Some time in the 90's my partner and I went back to my country of birth, South Africa. His coworkers were warning him about how dangerous it would be (by that time he had been there before, by the way). while we were in South Africa there was a bombing on the New York subway. ;)

Also.... Back home in Texas - as reported by CNN this morning....

A second health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who provided care for Thomas Eric Duncan has tested positive for Ebola, the state Department of Health said today.

The worker reported a fever Tuesday and was immediately isolated, hospital spokeswoman Carrie Williams said.

The facility will now begin monitoring all those who had contact with the unidentified worker for signs of potential exposures.

I agree!!!

From MSN news today....

Where are these new cases going to come from? The poorest parts of Africa, not in the USA.