LIVE REVIEW - OASIS TRANSATLANTIC with Pictures

Kcjarvis

What an amazing review! Sorry for some of the issues you have had.

Two questions if I may - is the Solarium Bistro still serving dinner as a specialty restaurant? If not what is going on there in the evenings? We sailed on Oasis in July & loved it - both day and night!

How sad that the VCL is gone as a lounge. We loved dancing up there in the evenings. Are the bands playing anywhere else instead? We know about Dazzles & Boleros but wondering if they are giving us a 3rd option.

We sail again on Oasis next July and enjoy our evening dance music.

Hope the seas are calm & that you enjoy the rest of your cruise on this fabulous ship ! Many thanks for your reply.

Two questions if I may - is the Solarium Bistro still serving dinner as a specialty restaurant? If not what is going on there in the evenings? We sailed on Oasis in July & loved it - both day and night! Yes, Solarium Dinner is up and running.

How sad that the VCL is gone as a lounge. We loved dancing up there in the evenings. Are the bands playing anywhere else instead? We know about Dazzles & Boleros but wondering if they are giving us a 3rd option. I doubt there´s a 3rd option - I couldn´t imagine where... there´s only Dazzles and Boleros or maybe Blaze...

steamboats

How sad that the VCL is gone as a lounge. We loved dancing up there in the evenings.

I don't recall there being dancing in either the Oasis or Allure VCL, but it is possible I missed it. Lots of fun time on other class VCL's, but I don't remember there being such on Oasis class (possibly why RCI believed it was a good choice to repurpose).

I don't recall there being dancing in either the Oasis or Allure VCL, but it is possible I missed it. Lots of fun time on other class VCL's, but I don't remember there being such on Oasis class (possibly why RCI believed it was a good choice to repurpose).

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The VCL on the Oasis class was never heavily used aside from when the secondary lounge combo plays there in the evening so I'm not surprised that it was changed. Deck 4 on Oasis/Allure has the jazz club which draws the music lovers.

The Explorer has a popular bar up there plus nightly music and the Rube Goldberg machine so there the room is much livelier. And utilized.

Edited by The Big Booper

The VCL on the Oasis class was never heavily used aside from when the secondary lounge combo plays there in the evening so I'm not surprised that it was changed. Deck 4 on Oasis/Allure has the jazz club which draws the music lovers.

The Explorer has a popular bar up there plus nightly music and the Rube Goldberg machine so there the room is much livelier. And utilized.

Explorer definitely uses the VCL correctly. Sometimes seating was even hard to get. There are always people dancing and just hanging out enjoying the space. I've never seen the VCL utilized the same way on any other ship. The only time we went to the VCL on Allure was the first day before muster. We didn't go back and we usually do on other ships.

Edited by BND

Was on Allure in May 2013 and don't know if it was just the cruise, but well

attended dancing was happening in the VCL on more than one night.

We woke up at 9 am and decided to have a slow restful day at sea. It was gray and pretty cool. The Bay of Biscay was starting to get angry.

15566187305_eb324fd0c6_z.jpg

We were very happy we had 225,000 gross tons. We watched this poor guy toss and turn.

15380554240_fe7434f553_z.jpg

15566188795_fddfaf8736_z.jpg

Originally, the Meet and Mingle was scheduled to take place today, but it was cancelled. About midday we received this under the door.

15563514101_10ee4bbc5e_z.jpg

As the day continued we started to see some sun

15380046838_9288c6a201_z.jpg

15566188575_671dc58b92_z.jpg

The evenings entertainment was Creagon & Company. We left after the 1st song. They weren't bad, we just weren't in the mood...

We've been on both Oasis and Allure and, on our cruises, there was dancing in the Viking Crown Lounge at night. Either a combo or 3 piece group.

Wow. I am so glad that I am not booked until May. Talk about a work in progress, while I can understand taking more than 2 weeks to roll things out, this is excessive.

Making note to self: If RCCL decides to make major changes during a dry-dock no longer use my 1 or 2 month guideline, use a 6 to 8 month guideline before having a first cruise on said ship.

Answering for Ken: No, Dynamic Dining won´t start any earlier. The old Concierge Lounge is currently a construction site and will be turned into the new restaurant Wonderland which opens in March 2015. So far I heard they do serve breakfast at Coastal Kitchen but no lunch or dinner. I think they will start in November (after the Quantum, I´m pretty sure they want to start there with Coastal Kitchen first). So the only new restaurant which is fully up and working is Sabor (o.k., and the Doghouse). Izumi is expected to start in November too.

steamboats

Rickster, I met George on the eastbound TA.

Day 4 was another rock and roll - Biscay style day

15389734369_22a193c71e_z.jpg

Here is the line to enter Studio B for the Meet & Mingle

15390735750_364d23b0e3_z.jpg

The Pink Boa's were out in force.

15573695661_9b1497aa02_z.jpg

Activities Manager Michelle did a nice job running the event and giving out gifts. Studio B is not the best venue for an M&M, but the event was still fun.

15576347305_55da15da3e_z.jpg

Hello everyone its Ken and Paulette. We are late 30’s early 40’s “Loyal to Royal” Diamond Plus cruisers from NYC. We had sailed on Allure before and had an amazing time and really looked forward to sailing on her older sister. When we found out Oasis would be doing a transatlantic we jumped at the chance to sail on her, for the post dry dock, westward journey back home to Fort Lauderdale. We booked this cruise on the 1st day bookings opened, with only being on hold for about 20 mins. We got a great price on a Crown Loft Suite, but had to board in Southampton, since this type of suite was not available from Rotterdam. We decided to hold off on buying our flights yet, hoping something would open up from Rotterdam. Thanks to our Roll call, we got wind that European travel agents were selling the 1 day cruise from Rotterdam to Southampton, so we contacted an agent and were able to book the one day in a D7 balcony room. Now our cruise arrangements were all squared away, now it was time to book our flights. As a USAir Chairman preferred frequent flyer, we had to pick a One World carrier to get all of those wonderful miles, so that gave us a “New” American or British Airways option. After combing through the Choice Air website, we noticed the AA/BA business class airfares from JFK to London Heathrow were ½ the price of the airfares from JFK to Amsterdam connecting through LHR. And the economy fare from LHR to AMS was only $70, so we decided to fly from JFK to LHR in Business and LHR to AMS in coach. Now that we had the plan, we had to call Choice Air and explain to them what was wanted, and we needed it on the same itinerary so our bags would be check through to AMS. We were on the phone for an hour with Choice Air before the thoroughly confused, non English speaking representative hung up on me. When I called back, I had to start over with a new agent. At least she understood what we wanted and after another 40 mins was able to make it happen. Right before the final payment was due, this sailing became eligible for the BOGOHO and we were able to get an even better price.

Day minus 1

We would be flying the 9pm American Airlines flight to LHR on one of their brandy new 777-300. We arrived at JFK at 7pm. We enjoyed a very quick check in and a short TSA PRE security line. We then headed to the Admiral’s Club.

15550085142_37470247ed_z.jpg

15550086002_4beda1b8ab_z.jpg

Since I am a One World Emerald, we got access to the Flagship Lounge which has unlimited food and drink.

14928490054_ff3964a767_z.jpg

We had Parmesan coated chicken breast with Lyonnaise potatoes

14929070153_b1e8154656_z.jpg

We then boarded the 777-300 to make our way to LHR

14929068543_1df6b021df_z.jpg

15546828421_a230f3c4fd_z.jpg

oh what fun. Thank you.