??'s For Those Who Have Had to Use Insurance

vamartha

I've always purchased insurance but never had to use it, but the tables have turned and there is a much greater than 50% chance that I am going to have to utilize it this time.

I'm scheduled to fly out with DH next Saturday morning to NOLA and am booked on a Halloween cruise next Sunday. My sis (for whom this cruise was a gift) and our best friend are driving from North Carolina to NOLA and scheduled to be leaving on Friday morning.

Our Mother had open heart surgery last Friday to replace a valve. Things aren't going according to plan and she is still in ICU over a week later with a ton of complications. If she turns a corner and starts to recover we will be going on this trip but at this point the IF is getting larger and larger and bolder and bolder. We have chosen to make the decision at the last possible minute.

I'm not interested in a lecture about whether we should go or not go or what you would do in the same situation, there is more to the story about the reasons for this cruise and my Mom purposely scheduled her surgery so that if she didn't make it through surgery we would be able to go - for many reasons I'm not discussing here, it was very important to our Mom that we take this trip. Please do not respond if you have not used travel insurance as I really do not care what you think about our decisions to cruise or not to cruise, I've had a heck of a week with no end in sight and I'm not in the mood to hear any of the snarky comments that find themselves in these threads.

My hotel is not paid in full but I have to cancel by Wednesday. We are not going to make the decision by then and I fully accept that. I'm prepared to pay for the hotel even if I don't stay there.

My question is about canceling versus no show and how it relates to our insurance.

I've spoken with the insurance company already and asked a ton of questions, they have been most helpful.

I want to hear from someone who has actually used a policy (it is Travel Guard Gold, if it matters). My Mom's situation is definitely covered.

For two of us it might be Trip Interruption and for two of us it might be Trip Cancellation, it might be for all four of us it is Trip Interruption and for all four of us it might be Trip Cancellation. No way to know until late next week.

If you have made a claim using your Travel Insurance in the past, did you call Carnival and cancel or did you just no show? Does this make a difference in the way a claim is handled, in your experience?

I don't want to do the wrong thing, but as we are making last minute decisions I don't want to do anything prematurely either.

Thank you in advance if you are able to share your experience in using your Travel Insurance.

I have filed several claims with Travelguard. I've always called in advance, even if it was the same day as departure and cancelled; never been a no show. You will need some sort of documentation showing cancellation, and it should come quickly if you actually cancel.

As long as you are canceling for a covered reason, and you supply TG with the forms correctly completed, claims are handled pretty quickly.

I wish the best to you in what is a very difficult time.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this difficult time.

We used our *first* trip insurance policy, and for an expensive trip.

However, we had a policy through TravelInsured, and we had also used TripInsuranceStore.com to help us select the policy.

I'm not sure how useful our experience will be, given that the policy terms might be different.

Also, we didn't have anything that was "about to be paid".

We had fully paid for the cruise and the airfare, and one private tour.

Our pre- and post-cruise hotels were only "guaranteed", and we had something like 24 or 48 hours to cancel without any penalty.

Because we canceled more than a week before the first hotel stay, there was no issue with hotel costs.

Just make absolutely sure that you understand the terms, and when you must cancel (within what window of getting what information, or how far in advance as a minimum, or whatever).

I'd suggest jotting down the name of EVERY rep you speak with, and the date/time of the call.

And take notes that are as close to verbatim as the rep is speaking, and repeat it back.

(One little trick I use is at the very start of any such call, I say something like, "Could I have your name or rep number and extension number so if we get cut off, I won't have to start all over again with someone else?" I also ask if the call is recorded, but recognize that whichever answer I get may not be accurate.)

There is too much at risk, and too much "fine print".

That's why we deal with an insurance broker who can run interference if needed.

(It wasn't. TravelInsured was a bit slow it acknowledging receipt of all documentation, but once they had it, we had our check remarkably promptly.)

Hope things go well...

GeezerCouple

Trip cancellation and trip interruption on your policy are coverages for essentially the same items, but are called by different names due to timing. Cancellation up until the scheduled departure of the trip, interruption after. Since you have already spoken to the insurance people and verified coverage for your Mom's situation, it would appear the only question left is timing.

If you are advised/decide to cancel before departure, you need to call Carnival as soon as you know this. No Shows are rarely covered events.

If you are advised/decide to cancel after departure and return home, this is trip interruption. The covered events are the same list as the covered event cancellation list; the amount covered (in your policy) is a higher dollar amount due to the provision for returning home.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. But I am happy to hear you have determined this is a covered event; so many people in a similar situation are shocked to find out their situation does not fall under the list of covered events in addition to having to deal with the stressful medical situation. Best wishes to you and your Mom for a successful outcome.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. But I am happy to hear you have determined this is a covered event; so many people in a similar situation are shocked to find out their situation does not fall under the list of covered events in addition to having to deal with the stressful medical situation. Best wishes to you and your Mom for a successful outcome.

Oh my, you have brought up a very valid point! And I am so very in your debt for doing so. Thank you so much, it is something that we hadn't considered and it is very important.

I hope everything turns out ok with your mum and you can still make your trip.

We've had to do 3 claims.

Once was just my half of stuff and it was airline and land based stuff. I was a no show for that flight because it was up in the air as to if I was going or not the day of departure. Had no problem with getting that covered, it was a my medical issue.

The next one I'd been checked in for the flight and on the way to the airport by way of my doc's office for a routine appointment. DH did call the airline about that one as we both suddenly weren't going. They didn't do anything because we didn't want the voucher for future travel. For the cruise portion it was RCCL, I believe DH called, but I'm not sure about when. There were so many things going on at the time. They refunded the port fees/taxes. We submitted the rest to the insurance. Had no problem getting anything covered with the forms signed by my doctor. I don't know if that was under cancellation or interruption as we were still in our home city.

The other one - we were more than a month out so it was easy and called and cancelled, had partial refund. Submitted the balance and the airfare to the insurance. Everything was covered. The night before hotel wasn't covered, but DH had added that on after I'd purchased the insurance and it was outside the original travel dates. Eating the hotel cost was minimal vs the whole trip.

Edited by MonDreamr1

I had to cancel the day before our cruise but it was for DH (if that makes a difference) I called the cruise line then the insurance company

You need to call the cruise line or you may not get the paperwork you need to submit to insurance for the claim to be valid

You might consider cancelling the hotel you probably could re book when you know for sure you are going

Even if you do not cancel before .you can cancel if you do not go & claim the fee on insurance

Sorry to hear about your Mom & hope she turns the corner soon